• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great British Budget Menu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great British Budget Menu

I heard 2 of my sisters discussing this BBC programme which was screened last evening. Did anyone else watch it?? I have started to watch it on I Player. Makes you realise how lucky many of us are.

Your quite right Annie very lucky?
    We watched it and my wife said she thought we were lucky compared to some of the people on the program , but we have been there and got the tee shirt early in our married life.
    I was very pleasantly surprised to see how you could feed yourself for very little money and some menu help.
    Maybe the schools should drop the sex lessons and bring back Domestic Science classes it may even help regarding the Obesity problems we have...Taffy
    ​Taffy

Comment

I thought that rather than just giving them food they should have given them cooking recipes to go with what they picked up. The ex student was a waste of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
        We watched it and my wife said she thought we were lucky compared to some of the people on the program , but we have been there and got the tee shirt early in our married life.
        I was very pleasantly surprised to see how you could feed yourself for very little money and some menu help.
        Maybe the schools should drop the sex lessons and bring back Domestic Science classes it may even help regarding the Obesity problems we have...Taffy
        Taffy

I totally agree. I think all of us have been through 'hard' times' and come through the other side but some of us never forget. The programme upset my sisters.

I totally agree on Domestic Science classes - I was never very good at those . I learned from my mother and granny and can still reproduce their recipes and my mother has been dead for nearly 50 years.

I have developed a series of recipes for slow cookers - basically because I do simple however I cannot hold a candle to two of my sisters. I also batch cook and freeze - ready made convenience meals are so expensive IMHO or I am too mean

However food banks in Surrey?? that did surprise me.

I was also surprised that the family did not grow anything in their garden.

Worth watching though esp Angela Hartnett - Welsh from Italian stock??

Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 12th July 2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Morning Annie .
          It is worth watching the program that followed which Catch us if you can refers to its about people living on benefits ,and you would have to say not really wanting to improve there lot .
          For me both programs point to the fact that we have become a nation of wont do rather than can do.
          We seem to now take the easy way out buying a ready meal is easier than cooking it your self ,as living on benefits is easier than working ,they all seem to back up there life style choices with reasons why the cannot work none had a reason why they should work...Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

Morning Annie .
            It is worth watching the program that followed which Catch us if you can refers to its about people living on benefits ,and you would have to say not really wanting to improve there lot .
            For me both programs point to the fact that we have become a nation of wont do rather than can do.
            We seem to now take the easy way out buying a ready meal is easier than cooking it your self ,as living on benefits is easier than working ,they all seem to back up there life style choices with reasons why the cannot work none had a reason why they should work...Taffy
            Good Morning Taffy

Yes my sisters were discussing that programme too - it is on my 'must watch' list.

I am very well aware that there are people who have made 'lifestyle' choices - put me in charge and I would soon sort that out

However they said that one point raised by Margaret (??) is that the greatest share of the Welfare Bill is not paid to 'scroungers' but if you were to listen to the media you would think it was.

I am fortunate in that I am too mean to spend my hard earned cash on 'convenience meals' and I do like my holidays which incentivised me to build up my 'fun fund'. My sisters 'blame' me for giving their children a taste of the 'good life' - well they will have to work if they want to keep it.

Annie

Comment

Hi Taffy, you are so right hard times behind us also hard in my upbringing and in my early married life, my husband held 3 jobs at one time to make ends meet , and pay the mortgage.

I don't think the student had any intention of working, I don't think the woman whose money ran out knows how to budget or make cheap and healthy meals, 3 different meals on the go for the children! my mother would have said' eat what you are given or go without' I thought if you were on benefit and so hard up as that couple who are both working they would have been entitled to school meals?

Domestic science classes certainly should be brought back if only to show how to cook nutritious meals from the cheapest cuts.CG
              sigpic

Comment

What struck me about this programme was that none of the chefs:-

a) could produce the initial meals (not the banquet at the end, but the ones made in the people's homes at the beginning) within the budget given
                b) took into account the cost of the gas/electric it took to cook these meals (not inconsiderable, particularly if on a meter) and
                c) went to ' budget' supermarkets, ie Lidl or Aldi. Granted not everywhere has one but surely there must have been one near one of the participants. I'm sure I saw a waitrose carrier bag.

Also the elderly gentleman that was living on packet soup struck me as odd in that the tins of food he showed the chef were all top brands and no comment was made, yes you can get offers, but was surprised that nothing was said about the quality and price of stores own brands.

Was glad to see that the participants were given the recipes at the end, and they are available online.

Comment

What the programme didn't address was why the people on benefits had so little money to spend on food. Take the pensioner. Pension Credit tops up the income for single pensioners (with no savings) to £145.00 after paying rent and Council Tax. That is more than enough for anyone. People who can't manage on their benefits often have high levels of interest on debt, or are wasting money on excessive alcohol, tobacco, gambling, and luxuries.

I felt sorry for the family where both parents were working. A huge problem now is that decent hard working people can no longer afford children, but we are subsidising an underclass to breed (when we should be telling them to go forth and multiply).

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_C, Worthing View Post
                    What the programme didn't address was why the people on benefits had so little money to spend on food. Take the pensioner. Pension Credit tops up the income for single pensioners (with no savings) to £145.00 after paying rent and Council Tax. That is more than enough for anyone. People who can't manage on their benefits often have high levels of interest on debt, or are wasting money on excessive alcohol, tobacco, gambling, and luxuries.

I felt sorry for the family where both parents were working. A huge problem now is that decent hard working people can no longer afford children, but we are subsidising an underclass to breed (when we should be telling them to go forth and multiply).
                    Hi Nick

Valid points but from what I heard the pensioner had the state pension and an assumption here on my part that both families were in receipt of child benefit.

In the case of the family units, I have no idea of their housing/utility costs.

However I think a staggering fact is that 1 in 5 pensioners when they retire are in debt and the average debt is £31000 - ouch.

Pensioners face a lifetime of paying off debts - Telegraph

I think the programme on reflection raised a lot more issues than food poverty.

Annie

Comment

Sorry but these sort of programs make me mad.

Apart from the fact that many have overstretched their income before the slump, most appear to have been hard up all this year.

Yet I am giving away fresh grown veg from my very small plot because it has done so well this year, one packet of pea seed cost me £1.79 yet not our freezer if full with enough for at least 60 meals, and beans, carrots, onions and garlic will last us well into the new year. Most things will grwo in pots.tubs or even old wellington boots.

Not only that these chefs come in for a couple of days produce a few easy meals then leave,
                      Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
                        Sorry but these sort of programs make me mad.

Apart from the fact that many have overstretched their income before the slump, most appear to have been hard up all this year.

Yet I am giving away fresh grown veg from my very small plot because it has done so well this year, one packet of pea seed cost me £1.79 yet not our freezer if full with enough for at least 60 meals, and beans, carrots, onions and garlic will last us well into the new year. Most things will grwo in pots.tubs or even old wellington boots.

Not only that these chefs come in for a couple of days produce a few easy meals then leave,
                        Hi Tenpin

Can I agree and disagree with you??

I made a similar point in post #4 esp the family.

We were not great gardeners but we did grow strawberries, blackcurrants, carrots, turnip etc.

I do disagree with you however in the respect that if there is food poverty now what will be it like in the near future if mortgage rates were to rise.

However your point re families possibly overstretching their income is valid. They could have done with bringing in Alvin Hall to look at their budgets.

Annie

Comment

We have started to grow our own veg in our back garden again now we have retired. It is lovely to go and cut a lettuce, yesterday we dug the first new potatos, but not everyone is able to do this. They all seemed to, as I said before, to lack the cooking skills of our parents how to make a lot out of anything.

There are also a lot of lonely old folk in flats especially men, maybe it would be a good idea to hold a cook your own dinner classes in the local area then they can muck in together and learn from each other. When we used to have an allotment we used to feed the street as there was always too much for our own needs even after freezing some.

One thing that puzzled me though is that they must have got housing benefit and income support and free school meals as one poster said more than meets the eye here. I noticed there were no Asian families on the programme and there are a lot of them who receive benefits. The large lady, single parent with a dog and three cats her children had two meals a day, one at school for free and another in the evening after school. I don't know the answer, but there are some pretty glaring gaps in that documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch us if you can!, London View Post
                            We have started to grow our own veg in our back garden again now we have retired. It is lovely to go and cut a lettuce, yesterday we dug the first new potatos, but not everyone is able to do this. They all seemed to, as I said before, to lack the cooking skills of our parents how to make a lot out of anything.

There are also a lot of lonely old folk in flats especially men, maybe it would be a good idea to hold a cook your own dinner classes in the local area then they can muck in together and learn from each other. When we used to have an allotment we used to feed the street as there was always too much for our own needs even after freezing some.

One thing that puzzled me though is that they must have got housing benefit and income support and free school meals as one poster said more than meets the eye here. I noticed there were no Asian families on the programme and there are a lot of them who receive benefits. The large lady, single parent with a dog and three cats her children had two meals a day, one at school for free and another in the evening after school. I don't know the answer, but there are some pretty glaring gaps in that documentary.
                            Are we talking about the same programme Great British Budget Menu??

The large lady with a dog and 3 cats??

There was a male OAP. a single working mum with 1 daughter and a family with 2 working parents and 4 children in the programme I viewed on I player.

Housing benefit and their financial status was not discussed.

Annie

Comment

The large lady was on the following programme, along with the student with extortionate debt who thought that his degree in Media Studies should mean that he should walk straight into a top job!

Rather than celebrity chefs they would be better off showing the people who write into the Money Saving Expert forums with fantastic, inspirational meals on a budget (check out the Money Saving Old Style board)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X