• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food and Drink Which In Your Opinion are Overated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food and Drink Which In Your Opinion are Overated?

Hi There is no right and wrong answer to this query, just your own assessment which is just as valid as anyone else's opinion.
    I'll start off I can't see the attraction of caviar or champagne. Caviar it's not very pleasant and far too salty. Champagne isn't bad but vastly overpriced; I can't justify the cost when a decent bottle of bubbly is around the cost of a very good malt whisky. In addition I prefer crab to lobster the meaty texture of crab is the deciding factor for me.

I didn't know you'd met my husband John, or if you haven't you should! He agrees with everything you say. He doesn't like caviar, just "doesn't get" lobster and much prefers crab. He'd rather have a single malt than champagne any time. I love lobster and champagne. Takes all sorts, doesn't it?

Comment

Well I am sure that you will get many diverse replies.Me,I love lobster,hate crab,have a couple of bottles of malt in the house,but much prefer a good demisac champagne,it takes all sorts.

Jim

Comment

On the food side - I am allergic to ALL shellfish as are many others So I cannot comment on that. However when it comes to fish, I prefer trout to salmon.

Champagne - I would rather have a Prosecco. Whisky - I would rather have a cognac.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN B SLOOP, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
          Hi There is no right and wrong answer to this query, just your own assessment which is just as valid as anyone else's opinion.
          I'll start off I can't see the attraction of caviar or champagne. Caviar it's not very pleasant and far too salty. Champagne isn't bad but vastly overpriced; I can't justify the cost when a decent bottle of bubbly is around the cost of a very good malt whisky. In addition I prefer crab to lobster the meaty texture of crab is the deciding factor for me.
          Your preference for crab is admirable.

I have often said on here that along with oysters it is the true taste of the sea.

Caviar is, I will admit, an acquired taste, good all the same, and certainly enhanced with a drop of good 'bubbly'...

The above photo was as it was on offer for breakfast on the Regent Seven Seas Navigator. You can read the full review at...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.wor...alaska-cruise/

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
            On the food side - I am allergic to ALL shellfish as are many others So I cannot comment on that. However when it comes to fish, I prefer trout to salmon.

Champagne - I would rather have a Prosecco. Whisky - I would rather have a cognac.

Annie
            I have never understood shellfish allergies though I believe they do exist.

You'll never know what you're missing...

From...

( whoops, another picture with a bird )
            ...to table...

The accompanying Thai Vegetable would have done you Annie, Morning Glory...

PS. Anyone local want some rocket, I'm swamped with it on the allotment.
            Last edited by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent; 19th June 2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I dont like Caviar, but love crab and oysters and mussels. My OH likes Razor clams....but I dont for some reason.
              We have an amazing fishmongers here up north too, I use them whenever we have a party.
              Very good quality.

Latimers Seafood - Seafood Platters | Latimers Seafood Deli

Im a huge champagne fan too.
              Had a couple of bottles over the weekend to celebrate my first proper visit to our new apartment in Windsor.
              My OH has a glass then its onto the whisky for him.

Shellfish allergy is no different to other allergies.
              A person is allergic... simple.

Comment

Originally posted by spud, newcastle View Post
                I dont like Caviar, but love crab and oysters and mussels. My OH likes Razor clams....but I dont for some reason.
                We have an amazing fishmongers here up north too, I use them whenever we have a party.
                Very good quality.

Had a couple of bottles over the weekend to celebrate my first proper visit to our new apartment in Windsor.

Hi Spud

How are you??

I can manage my shellfish allergy - avoid them. It is one of the 'big 8' food allergies that affects 3-4% of the population. As my Chinese SIL's brother said - you must be cheap to feed It is an allergy shared by all the family. Better a shellfish allergy than being allergic to milk or wheat

Annie

Comment

Personally I love fish, but prefer a beautiful fillet - say sole, haddock or even mackerel - to the ultra-premium stuff. Many "luxury menus" push lobster, smoked salon, oysters, etc ... it's a bit tough on those who prefer meat, and I'd just as soon see a perfectly cooked ham, rare rib of beef or similar

It's not the "poshness" of a menu which appeals to me but the quality; my very best meal ever - no ifs or buts - was in a tiny family restaurant in France. Mussel and tarragon soup, salmon ravioli and mousse au chocolat, every last thing made by the owner and every mouthful utter perfection

PS Spud, that menu from Latimers looks wonderful - and the prices!!!!!!

Cheers,
                  Lynn
                  Last edited by Mitchell Derby, Derby; 19th June 2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    Hi Spud

How are you??

I can manage my shellfish allergy - avoid them. It is one of the 'big 8' food allergies that affects 3-4% of the population. As my Chinese SIL's brother said - you must be cheap to feed It is an allergy shared by all the family. Better a shellfish allergy than being allergic to milk or wheat

Annie
                    Im great, thanks Annie.
                    Hope you are well.

We have no shellfish allergy in our family, but my daughter is allergic to strawberrys, elastoplast or I should say the adhesive on elastoplast and if she gets a bite from an insect of any kind has a really bad reaction to them .Has had to spend time in hospital when she was younger due to the reactions. My youngest son is allergic walnuts !!! Just walnuts....lol

Funny how the body works...
                    I wish I was allergoc to chocolate!!!!!

Comment

Very good quality.

Hi, I hope you';re enjoying your new apartment in Windsor. I spent ten happy years living in the town.

I'm not sure if the shop is still there, but there used to be a good fishmonger O'Driscolls in St Leonard's Road.

Jan

Comment

Im great, thanks Annie.
                        Hope you are well.

We have no shellfish allergy in our family, but my daughter is allergic to strawberrys, elastoplast or I should say the adhesive on elastoplast and if she gets a bite from an insect of any kind has a really bad reaction to them .Has had to spend time in hospital when she was younger due to the reactions. My youngest son is allergic walnuts !!! Just walnuts....lol

Likewise, I end up with a worse wound than I started with......

Sean

Comment

Im great, thanks Annie.
                          Hope you are well.

Hi Spud, nice to hear from you.

I have an intolerance to MSG, so have to be careful in Chinese restaurants. It's not serious, just indigestion for about a week! Alan's asthma is brought on by various food additives, fortunately it is now much easier to avoid these and I buy very little processed food anyway. Alison, who is veggie (but that is not relevant) sneezes when ever she eats peppermints. Aren't we strange? Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Derby, Derby View Post
                            Personally I love fish, but prefer a beautiful fillet - say sole, haddock or even mackerel - to the ultra-premium stuff. Many "luxury menus" push lobster, smoked salon, oysters, etc ... it's a bit tough on those who prefer meat, and I'd just as soon see a perfectly cooked ham, rare rib of beef or similar

It's not the "poshness" of a menu which appeals to me but the quality; my very best meal ever - no ifs or buts - was in a tiny family restaurant in France. Mussel and tarragon soup, salmon ravioli and mousse au chocolat, every last thing made by the owner and every mouthful utter perfection

PS Spud, that menu from Latimers looks wonderful - and the prices!!!!!!

Cheers,
                            Lynn

Lynn, I also love meat as well..
                            Best rib eye I had was in The Crusting Pipe in Covent Garden...mmmmmm

I had Grilled lemon sole, capers, parsley butter at a hotel we were staying in recently, in fact I enjoyed it so much I had it three nights in a row!!!
                            Delicious !!!

Latimers platters are expensive, but worth it...
                            But you can get a bag of winkles for £2.50 -£3.00 !!!

Regards
                            Sue

Comment

Im great, thanks Annie.
                              Hope you are well.

Don't mention nuts - I have an intolerance but my nephew has to carry one of those pens around with him all the time. The medics could not understand where this allergy came from, my younger brother never knew of my food intolerance but he confesses he has never seen me eating nuts.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X