• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seafood, the cruise lovers guide.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafood, the cruise lovers guide.

Seafood is generally the term for any form of sea life regarded as food by humans. Seafood prominently includes fish and shellfish though when I refer to seafood I instinctively allude to molluscs, crustaceans and echinoderms: basically if it comes out of a shell, to me it's shellfish and therefore seafood.

So, having gauged the interest shown on another thread...

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1008-cunard...rincess-2.html

for shellfish, why not have an open thread covering this most delightful and variety of food from the sea.

I'll start the ball rolling.

Without any doubt it is my considered opinion that the two greatest 'Tastes of the Sea' lay in the eating of Oysters...

...and Crab...

Can't be beaten for that original 'taste of the sea'.

Each of course can come in many forms, here we have Oysters Rockefeller...

and Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab (Courtesy of Sindhu on Azura)

Over to the membership. Veggies are excused

Richard, will you please stop putting your wonderful pictures on forums as my wife is complaining about the dribble stains down my shirt front. LOL. Seriously though the pictures make your mouth water. Never had Oysters but love all other forms of shell fish.
    Fossil1

Comment

A city centre resaurant offers "Glasgow Oysters"

Not for the feint hearted.

Six oysters (not enough, but 12 is too much), plus hot chilli sauce, plus a large vodka and a spare glass.

The idea is to put the oyster into the spare glass, add vodka and chilli to taste, and go for it!

Strange how you always end up ordering more vodka!

Stewart

Comment

Oh Goodness, this thread is making me smack my lips for I adore seafood!

Hubby & I flew out to Venice a few days before joining NCL Gem one summer. We dined at a sweet little place by a canal called Ristorante Al Vagon....
        Restaurant Venice: Al Vagon Restaurant Venice

We enjoyed a lovely lunch of mussels and spaghetti vongole, whilst watching the world go by... Happy memories.

Comment

Tell me Richard, the crab dish, who prepared it? If I was a gambler I would say Mrs Solent Richard!

Comment

Just to bring readers back down to earth from Richard's inspirational thread, may I mention the more 'umble seafoods that formed an important part of my London upbringing but which you seldom find being offered on cruises, namely winkles, whelks, cockles, shrimps and jellied eels! Lovely jubbley! London fishmongers know their trade, it was they, after all, that decided that dog fish was not a particularly attractive name for one specimen so they renamed it "Rock Salmon" and subsequently it became their biggest seller!

Comment

Hi Richard,
              Crab - yes. Oysters no - in any way shape or form. Sorry.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by DarbyRN, Lee-on-the-Solent View Post
                Just to bring readers back down to earth from Richard's inspirational thread, may I mention the more 'umble seafoods that formed an important part of my London upbringing but which you seldom find being offered on cruises, namely winkles, whelks, cockles, shrimps and jellied eels! Lovely jubbley! London fishmongers know their trade, it was they, after all, that decided that dog fish was not a particularly attractive name for one specimen so they renamed it "Rock Salmon" and subsequently it became their biggest seller!
                I seem to remember that monkfish was used as a "scampi" substitute in restaurants in the 1970's.
                Brian.

Comment

Agreed! Prawns were big shrimps and scampi were big prawns (or monkfish bits!).

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                    Seafood is generally the term for any form of sea life regarded as food by humans. Seafood prominently includes fish and shellfish though when I refer to seafood I instinctively allude to molluscs, crustaceans and echinoderms: basically if it comes out of a shell, to me it's shellfish and therefore seafood.

So, having gauged the interest shown on another thread...

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1008-cunard...rincess-2.html

for shellfish, why not have an open thread covering this most delightful and variety of food from the sea.

I'll start the ball rolling.

Without any doubt it is my considered opinion that the two greatest 'Tastes of the Sea' lay in the eating of Oysters...

...and Crab...

Can't be beaten for that original 'taste of the sea'.

Each of course can come in many forms, here we have Oysters Rockefeller...

and Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab (Courtesy of Sindhu on Azura)

Over to the membership. Veggies are excused
                    Seafood & shellfish I love and eat it!
                    Richard my only exception to the rule “Oysters”, however, once for a very generous four figure donation to charity I did partake! Thankfully followed up by a very nice glass or two of vintage champagne!
                    Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Originally posted by Alan V., Southampton View Post
                      Tell me Richard, the crab dish, who prepared it? If I was a gambler I would say Mrs Solent Richard!
                      If you were a gambler Alan, you would have lost...

By the way, everything on the serving plate, bar the actual crab, came from my allotment.

Comment

Originally posted by cruisegas, cruisegas View Post
                        Seafood & shellfish I love and eat it!
                        Richard my only exception to the rule “Oysters”, however, once for a very generous four figure donation to charity I did partake! Thankfully followed up by a very nice glass or two of vintage champagne!
                        Such style Helen, I do love you.

This was an oyster Medley I tried in New York's Grand Central Oyster Bar...

I reviewed it at...

Travel Reviews, Hotel Reviews, Mature Travel Advice, Silver Travel Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Brian, South Ockendon View Post
                          I seem to remember that monkfish was used as a "scampi" substitute in restaurants in the 1970's.
                          Brian.
                          Monkfish is a superb fish in its own right. Firm texture and delicate flavour.

I used to serve a platter of medallions of Monkfish and Scallops with a Tomato and Basil Sauce when we owned The Red Herring...

Ah, those were the days.

Comment

If you were a gambler Alan, you would have lost...

By the way, everything on the serving plate, bar the actual crab, came from my allotment.
                            So I am sort of right, a dish prepared at home with Mrs Solent Richard supervising..........

Comment

Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab (Courtesy of Sindhu on Azura)

I saw this on the menu in Sindhu and nearly ordered it. It then struck me that I might get a complete small crab on my plate so decided against it. Looks like I was right. I'm a bit squeamish about some things so probably miss-out on some nice flavours

Bob

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X