• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mackerel soon to be off the Dinner Menu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mackerel soon to be off the Dinner Menu?

Due to the reported shortage of Mackerel due to over fishing (quotas) would you miss it, can you substitute it or is there another fish that you would really miss on your dinner plate?

BBC News - Mackerel overfishing raises sustainability concerns

although has some alerted the Mackerel so they don’t get caught in the nets!
    Lancashire Cunarder

My husband does a brilliant 'Mackerel Pilaf' Basmati rice, flaked mackerel, spring onions , leeks and finely chopped egg! It is delicious!! Might have missed an ingredient or two out of here as I do not cook it!!
    Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cruisegas, cruisegas View Post
      Due to the reported shortage of Mackerel due to over fishing (quotas) would you miss it, can you substitute it or is there another fish that you would really miss on your dinner plate?

BBC News - Mackerel overfishing raises sustainability concerns

although has some alerted the Mackerel so they don’t get caught in the nets!

I must admit that I enjoy a little smoked mackerel. But "oh my cod" I haven't got a haddicktion to it.

My sole thought is that there should be a ban in plaice to halibut in and prevent overfishing.

Comment

Mackerel..much too much oily for me,will stick wick haddock,salmon and trout.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
          Mackerel..much too much oily for me,will stick wick haddock,salmon and trout.

Jim
          But that is the joy of Mackerel Jim.

It's that oil again, joints and what have you.

We have Mackerel at least once a week, second best oily fish after kippers...

Comment

Seem plentiful enough off the local pier....lightly cooked, and served with lemon, though I prefer them cold.
            Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
              My husband does a brilliant 'Mackerel Pilaf' Basmati rice, flaked mackerel, spring onions , leeks and finely chopped egg! It is delicious!! Might have missed an ingredient or two out of here as I do not cook it!!
              Lizzie, sounds divine I'll have to try out the recipe, thanks
              Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                I must admit that I enjoy a little smoked mackerel. But "oh my cod" I haven't got a haddicktion to it.

My sole thought is that there should be a ban in plaice to halibut in and prevent overfishing.

An original response and appreciate the “fishy” humour!
                Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
                  But that is the joy of Mackerel Jim.

It's that oil again, joints and what have you.

We have Mackerel at least once a week, second best oily fish after kippers...

At my not so tender age I need all the oiling I can get!
                  Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                    Seem plentiful enough off the local pier....lightly cooked, and served with lemon, though I prefer them cold.
                    Jo, I like hot at breakfast but prefer cold in salads.
                    Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Sustainable fish quiz!

This was the follow up post...

BBC News - 7 questions on sustainable fish

How did you do?
                      Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

We have mackeral quite often down here in Cornwall once a week at least, it was part of the staple diet when I was growing up clena the mackeral flour, salt and pepper and then fry it, mash potato and veg, we get ours of the fishermen on the quay when they come in.
                        I can remember my sons catching them and going around the doors selling them for a tanner atime.
                        These new chefs make me laugh trying to encourage people to eat mackeral as if it is a new recipe, tarting it up so it no longer tastes like a fish, maybe they should keep quiet and then the mackeral will increase.
                        Although I note thet Norway[not in the EU] Iceland? are the main concerns of overfishing the mackeral shoals.CG
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                          We have mackeral quite often down here in Cornwall once a week at least, it was part of the staple diet when I was growing up clena the mackeral flour, salt and pepper and then fry it, mash potato and veg, we get ours of the fishermen on the quay when they come in.
                          I can remember my sons catching them and going around the doors selling them for a tanner atime.
                          These new chefs make me laugh trying to encourage people to eat mackeral as if it is a new recipe, tarting it up so it no longer tastes like a fish, maybe they should keep quiet and then the mackeral will increase.
                          Although I note thet Norway[not in the EU] Iceland? are the main concerns of overfishing the mackeral shoals.CG
                          Hi CG,

I'm a mackeral lover, pure and simple plus really wonderful to sample it fresh from the quay!
                          Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X