• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Best Before' Dates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Best Before' Dates

I'm sitting having a cup of coffee and have just poured some single cream into it. The 'Use By' date on the lid says 30 Dec 10. It smells and tastes fine so I've put it back in the fridge to be used again.

Years ago, a neighbour gave me some tins of beer and lager from his garage. They were 18 months out of date and I drank every one. I must admit that I poured them into a glass first and 'inspected' them.

Some foodstuffs seem to 'go off' before the 'Use By' date whilst others (my cream for instance) seem to go on and on.

I wonder how these dates are decided. We never used to have them.

Does anyone just throw good stuff out because of the date on it or do you decide for yourself?

Bob

i am not bothered about use by dates.

i eat it when i eat it, sometimes 2-3 years past its date.

but would never tell anyone else to do that, its just personal choice.

Comment

Originally posted by leonard, north west View Post
      i eat it when i eat it, sometimes 2-3 years past its date.
      That might turn-out to be a record Leonard. Well......you're still with us in any case. ;)

Bob

Comment

cheers bobby.

all the best bargains can be bought at the out of date shop !!

Comment

Originally posted by bobbybuoy, peterborough View Post
          That might turn-out to be a record Leonard. Well......you're still with us in any case. ;)

Bob
          I've got some 1 Million year old Rock Salt with a use by date of March 2012.

How did they work that out a million year ago?
          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by leonard, north west View Post
            cheers bobby.

all the best bargains can be bought at the out of date shop !!
            Or retrieved FREE from the skip at the back of the supermarket as Jonathan Maitland did in a recent TV documentary.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
              I've got some 1 Million year old Rock Salt with a use by date of March 2012.

How did they work that out a million year ago?
              Nice one Wilba..........bonkers isn't it?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobbybuoy, peterborough View Post
                Does anyone just throw good stuff out because of the date on it or do you decide for yourself?
                My good lady will not throw anything out unless it has gone off. She spent most of her summers in Romania with her grandparents and they never wasted anything.
                Whereas I will not take any risks at all and especially when it comes to milk. I have this phobia which is probably born from my school days when we used to get a small bottle of milk every morning. It would be sat outside all weather so if it was winter it would be solid ice and in the summer warm and creamy (and smelly ). To this day I still cannot drink milk on its own.
                www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

I believe for 'Use By' dates, a lab tests maybe thirty samples of similar fresh meat and when half have started to develop 'dangerous' bacteria they set the use by date maybe a day earlier - to give a safety margin. In reality some meat could 'turn' earlier and some 'later'.

I think the 'best before' dates are just to protect the makers form law-suits and being sued for alleged food-poisoning.

Have you noticed that today the labels on things like 'Ketchup' say store in a fridge and consume within six weeks!
                  Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 10th January 2011, 10:40 AM.
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

If it looks and smells ok then I usually use it, I remember them introducing the new labelling, before that we used common sense. I work on the theory that the shops are being cautious and the is a bit of lee way on the sell by date.
                    Incidentally, I also hated that warm school milk that we had to drink... Yuk!..Carol

Comment

:D
                      Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                      If it looks and smells ok then I usually use it, I remember them introducing the new labelling, before that we used common sense. I work on the theory that the shops are being cautious and the is a bit of lee way on the sell by date.
                      Incidentally, I also hated that warm school milk that we had to drink... Yuk!..Carol
                      Our crate of milk sat on a table under the blackboard. The tops were taken off early in the morning. I can still see the chalk dust on the horrible warm top creamy bit. Double yuck.

Some of our best dinner parties are 'sell by date' do's. ie the meal is concoctedfrom food nearing the end of freezer life [joints of meat etc] and beer/larger, mixers also verging on s by d...and when that's consumed, we start on the rest! Great fun. One never knows what we'll be drinking with which course. Not for the purist foodie.:D

Comment

I have an aversion to drinking milk for the same reason, when the milk had frozen in winter the cream came to the top and so did the bluetits who pecked through the foil top. The milk was then put in front of the radiator to thaw out, yuk, yuk and again yuk.
                        Arlene

Keep smiling and keep sailing

Comment

hubbie used to work for 'Wiseman Dairy'. he says that bacteria needs moisture, air and heat to grow therefore dried products should never go off if kept in the right conditions........show off! . however dairy products do go off but each supermarket insists on different use by dates eg Tesco asks for the latest 'use by date' possible so their products appear to go off quicker but Wisemans own brand can use the same milk from the same container as Tesco's but their 'use by date' will be three days earlier, so it will be drinkable after that date. he also says that 'use by' dates are law and 'sell by' dates are optional.

to me as long as the food/milk smells and tastes fine we use it.

PS I loved the wee milk bottle we used to get at school. ours sat beside the radiator and so it was usually warm. I also loved it when the milk and the cream seperated I used to open all the bottles of milk at home and use the cream part only on my porridge,yumm, then I would top up all the opened bottles and replace the silver paper top so no one would notice but my dad would shoogle the bottle to mix the cream and the milk and sometime the lid would come off and the milk would be everywhere. :o I still love cream in my porridge and cereal but I do add some milk as well.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Smell is what I go by.
                            Bought 4 chicken breasts last week, used 2 in a curry, put the others in fridge to make chicken kievs next day...ended up having beans on toast. There was still 2 days before use by date. Dogs enjoyed them though!
                            Used to love our milk delivered, top of the milk on my cereals.
                            Fine in the colder months, but come lighter mornings... Magpies had pecked tops off and even though their sell by dates were 2 days away we ended up throwing more pints away than enough.
                            Solved the tops pecked off by asking milkman to put them under a bucket. Supermarket milk on cereals is just not the same.But had to cancel our delivery...Sorry, Mr. Milkman
                            sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post
                              My good lady will not throw anything out unless it has gone off. She spent most of her summers in Romania with her grandparents and they never wasted anything.
                              Whereas I will not take any risks at all and especially when it comes to milk. I have this phobia which is probably born from my school days when we used to get a small bottle of milk every morning. It would be sat outside all weather so if it was winter it would be solid ice and in the summer warm and creamy (and smelly ). To this day I still cannot drink milk on its own.
                              I am exactly the same. Have never drunk milk since primary school. Feel ill when I think of the milk crate sitting beside the radiator in the classroom. I remember trying to drink it at christmas time because it had a christmass theme foil top. Yuk!!!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X