• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your favourite British dish on its way out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like black pudding , OH can't stand the thought of it so won't even taste it though he loves haggis.

We have liver and bacon with onions every few weeks , yummy but I'm rubbish at making and cooking batter for Yorkshire puds so we never have toad in the hole .

My Nan used to make brawn so I've eaten that along with haslet and tongue but I don't but any of that now. We tend to have cured meats like prosciutto or Palma ham. I can also remember my parents used to have tripe but I never tried it.
    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
      There's a fair bit of affection for offal on this thread!

Growing up, we were quite poor and money was tight, so we often had cheaper things to eat. I quite liked liver but much of the other stuff I couldn't stomach.

One thing that we had frequently was fresh fish. I grew up in a fishing port and there were several fresh fish shops. Every Saturday we joined a large queue to buy some. There were so many types, and they were all really cheap. My dad used to enjoy cooking it and he also made the best fishcakes ever.

Our cat refused to eat anything other than steamed fish.
      My late husband was a big fan of Skate’s eyeballs. Even the name turned my stomach. He also loved stewed eels, jellied eels, pie, mash and liquor. I would never cook him eels, but fortunately his mother was happy to oblige and every week she would go to the local fish market and buy live eels. On one visit to her house, she had two eels swimming in the bath!

Comment

I can vaguely remember my uncle used to bring us pig’s trotters, he had a friend who worked in an abattoir (although we called them slaughter houses back then). My dad was the only one who ate them, no idea how they were cooked.

Comment

I used to love my Nan's rabbit stew and my mum's tripe in a peppery white sauce with mash. I haven't had either for donkey's years. I did have black pudding in a full English I had on holiday in Norfolk last month, but it seemed to come in a plastic skin. It was disgusting. I must admit to having become much more international in my taste these days. Mongolian beef anyone? Blows your head off if I get over excited with the chilli flakes.

Comment

Love black pudding. Cant stand Eton mess, its the meringue that I dislike in any shape or form, way too sweet.
            The Scottish dishes of cranachan and haggis, yes, both yum.

Lets hear it for Welsh cakes and cawl (much like Irish stew), both things that we had regularly at home but I dont seem to have the knack of cooking them. Confession - I buy Welsh cakes.

Yorkshire pudding is OK, I ll eat it when out but never think to make it.

I loathe liver, even the sight and smell makes me heave. We used to have it at home, not that I ever ate it. My OH likes it, as did my late parents. It became a ritual that when they came to stay with us my mother would buy and cook liver for one meal so that the OH, and they, could have it - I think she thought he was deprived!

Comment

OH also enjoys eating black pudding, I think it comes from M&S. i’m not a fan so he cooks it himself.

But one food my family intoduced to him which he loved was (fresh) laver bread. We had it regularly from the market with sausages and mash.. I was always told it was very good for you! No idea how popular it is now........

Comment

My dad used to love tripe soaked in vinegar. I ate it too. Must admit I did like it. All that changed when I started to buy whole cows stomachs from the local abbatoir for my 6 Great Danes. Dad saw it in its raw green state as I cut it up and vowed......never again.

My mother used to put breast of lamb in stews. The smell and the grease floating on top put me off forever.
                Have never eaten black pudding or haggis nor cow heel, pigs trotters, eels. I do like my fish but draw the line at Whelks, octopus and oysters that my hubby used to love.

Carol
                sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Blood based products, often in the form of a sausage shape, are at the core of a lot of cultures and the concept of don't waste anything of an animal that is edible

Eating tests the our senses beyond the what's it made from that's yuc reaction.

look/presentation, smell, taste and texture.

Many get transformed from inedible to trendy.

I have been tested in the far east a few time by work colleagues.

Not a fan of sea cucumber it fails all senses.
                  looks bad, smells bad, tastes bad, and in the mouth you just want to gag.

​​​​​​
                  my funny one is I like shell fish including most bivalves like but struggle with razor clams.

​​​​​​

Comment

[QUOTE=sandraggg, Newcastle;n1454242]There's a fair bit of affection for offal on this thread!

Growing up, we were quite poor and money was tight, so we often had cheaper things to eat. I quite liked liver but much of the other stuff I couldn't stomach.

One thing that we had frequently was fresh fish. I grew up in a fishing port and there were several fresh fish shops. Every Saturday we joined a large queue to buy some. There were so many types, and they were all really cheap. My dad used to enjoy cooking it and he also made the best fishcakes ever.

Our cat refused to eat anything other than steamed fish. [/QUOTE

We didn't have a lot of cash either when I was young but I can't remember eating any of those horrendous meat offerings mentioned like tripe, cow heel & pigs trotters. I suspect my Dad who was a miner would have hit the roof if Mam had offered him any of those. Living in a little sea port he used to go fishing a lot so like you we ate a lot of cod, some haddock and lovely fresh crab & lobster.

I don't eat meat so thankfully will not have to eat any of those offerings.

What irritates me about desserts is that anything with apple now seems to have cinammon in it. Must be an American thing as apple pie never had that in it when I was young.YUK!!!!

I l

Comment

This is second time of posting, after an immediate edit of changing the word meal to meat it came up as un approved.

Anybody who has been a member of this forum for any length of time knows that I am definitely not a foodie.

Red meat still forms a large part of mine and my wife’s diet and I cannot see that changing any time soon. On a recent holiday in Cornwall, steak formed the main stay of my dinner on most evenings in three separate dining establishments,
                      Think our daughter is following in our footsteps although she is a little more adventurous than either of us. Although when she recently took her works team out for an evening meal with a couple of visitors from their head office in Canada to a fairly posh restaurant. The only thing on the menu she fancied was Sirloin Steak at £40 a head, but as the company were paying ………For her wedding next year the guests will be tucking into a lovely meal of bangers (sausages) and mash with onion gravy, lovely.

Love bubble and squeak, had it last week with a couple of rashers, pork sausages and plenty of Bisto gravy, Toad (pork sausages) in the hole is another regular in our household, but my wife now cooks them separately. Don’t mind a little bit of Eaton Mess as a desert..

Foods that would not bother me if they disappear are shell seafood, pasta, black pudding, pease pudding, tripe, faggots, kidneys, heart, haggis, pigs trotters,

I remember when I was young my Aunt made rabbit stew which I liked, with rabbit my uncle had personal gone out to catch, the only trouble was the stench as he skinned and gutted it on the scullery table. Have never eaten it since.

My wife was weaned on jellied eels, does not eat them now, but she is partial to roll mops though
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I grew up in Wales with a mother who was an excellent cook. She trained in a domestic science college in the early 1930s. I never remember eating Bubble and Squeak or Toad in the Hole, but stews and liver and onions were staple \meals. I remember a (temporary) boyfriend taking me home for supper and his mother served cow heel pie - I had never heard of it and hoped to never taste it again.We ate a lot of fresh fish bought from the boats in Conwy before the EU stopped that. The first time I saw Eton Mess was when a Scottish friend in Canada brought it to a pot luck dinner.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkle, UK View Post
                          I can vaguely remember my uncle used to bring us pig’s trotters, he had a friend who worked in an abattoir (although we called them slaughter houses back then). My dad was the only one who ate them, no idea how they were cooked.
                          If you feel inclined, you could always try this French recipe for stuffed trotters from a three-starred Michelin chef.

(However tasty they might be, I couldn't eat them because they look exactly like...pigs' trotters!)

Pierre Koffmann's stuffed pig's trotter recipe is a true classic, one of the French master's signature dishes from his days at La Tante Claire, where he held three Michelin stars. Pierre serves the dish with crispy pig's skin and pomme purée, made with duck fat for a sublime richness.

Comment

[QUOTE=Delboy, Essex;n1454296]This is second time of posting, after an immediate edit of changing the word meal to meat it came up as un approved.

Foods that would not bother me if they disappear are shell seafood, pasta, black pudding, pease pudding, tripe, faggots, kidneys, heart, haggis, pigs trotters,

/QUOTE]

SNAP Delboy!!!

Apart from pasta (which I love) your list matches mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                              My dad used to love tripe soaked in vinegar. I ate it too. Must admit I did like it. All that changed when I started to buy whole cows stomachs from the local abbatoir for my 6 Great Danes. Dad saw it in its raw green state as I cut it up and vowed......never again.

My mother used to put breast of lamb in stews. The smell and the grease floating on top put me off forever.
                              Have never eaten black pudding or haggis nor cow heel, pigs trotters, eels. I do like my fish but draw the line at Whelks, octopus and oysters that my hubby used to love.

Carol
                              My mother used to buy 'neck end' of lamb because it was so cheap.

It was mainly gristle and fat. She used to stew it and would then let it get cold so that the layer of fat solidified and could be lifted off. That got thrown out for the wild birds to eat.

I'd like to say that the end result was delicious, but it really wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Eton mess and cranachan can stay.

Annie

I first had cranachan on a P&O cruise a few years ago.

I liked it very much, although I had no idea at the time that it was made with whisky because - P&O being P&O - there was no discernible alcohol in it. (Much like their 'classic SHERRY trifle' which has been nowhere near a sherry bottle. )

Now I like making it with fresh raspberries when we have a glut of them in the garden.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X