• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yorkshire puddings.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife supplies all the Yorkshire puddings for any family roast dinner get together, irrespective of who’s home the event is held at.

She puts them bags and freezes them for easy despatch, they only take a few minutes prior to the meal to re heat.

Her tip for for making them rise, is to let the batter stand for at least 15 minutes, then re stir before putting the batter in the baking tin.

Took this photo of some she made whilst they were cooking.

8B1B08DA-46D4-4970-BCF6-ACC667086F4E.jpeg

Attached Files
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

My family would never forgive me if I didn’t make “yorkies” as we call them with a roast dinner whatever time of year! My son-in-law has found a recipe for gluten free ones as my daughter is gluten intolerant. I’m not sure if we’ll be able to get up from the table as they are planning a feast to make up for our lack of a Thanksgiving meal the other week. I do candied mashed sweet potatoes which are gorgeous with a roast and everyone loves them. I just hope we’re all well enough to celebrate together which is more important than what we hope to eat. I can’t even say that I’m that bothered about what gifts there are (except for my grandson 😁), I just want us to be together.

Take care and stay well! Helen🎄

Comment

If the opening post had said mashed potato with your Xmas dinner, then I would have said definitely no! But I see from the comments a lot of you do have it.

I commend you all, I can just about cope with everything else, without making mash! .................................................. .......Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          If the opening post had said mashed potato with your Xmas dinner, then I would have said definitely no! But I see from the comments a lot of you do have it.

I commend you all, I can just about cope with everything else, without making mash! .................................................. .......Carol
          Carol, make it the night before.

If I serve mash at a big dinner [eight or more folk is big for me, as a relatively incompetent cook], which I do when dishing up a roast [mash 'n gravy, yum] I make it the night before. Bung it in an ovenware dish and on the night, dob in some butter, microwave it to initially heat up and then stuff it in the oven for twenty mins or so. It's yummy and the top crusts over which adds to the yumminess.

Love Yorkshires with all roast meat but must have decent gravy to go with them and yes, I can make pretty good ones but can't be bothered when M&S provide a very good alternative.

I have no idea how many I'll be dishing up for on the 25th but the turkey's in the freezer as are the Yorkshires and the roasties.

How long does cooked turkey last in the fridge! Might be fed up of it by the 28th!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

My mother had wrists of steel. Even in her 90s she could do by hand all the things I used a mixer for - beat egg whites into meringue, whip cream as well as make cakes, Yorkshire pudding and other batters. She grew up on a farm and life was tough then.

Sheila
            I do have an electric whisk but prefer balloon whisks as I have more control. I don't have steel wrists and don't care if the process takes longer.

Annie

PS However no mashed potatoes with Christmas lunch - too much faffing.
            Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th December 2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Carol, make it the night before.

If I serve mash at a big dinner [eight or more folk is big for me, as a relatively incompetent cook], which I do when dishing up a roast [mash 'n gravy, yum] I make it the night before. Bung it in an ovenware dish and on the night, dob in some butter, microwave it to initially heat up and then stuff it in the oven for twenty mins or so. It's yummy and the top crusts over which adds to the yumminess.

Love Yorkshires with all roast meat but must have decent gravy to go with them and yes, I can make pretty good ones but can't be bothered when M&S provide a very good alternative.

I have no idea how many I'll be dishing up for on the 25th but the turkey's in the freezer as are the Yorkshires and the roasties.

How long does cooked turkey last in the fridge! Might be fed up of it by the 28th!!!
              I have a recipe called Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes that is my go to for Christmas. Mash spuds with cream cheese, milk and parsley. Freeze, then thaw overnight and pop in the oven for about 45 minutes. I also freeze my sweet potato and carrot so I just have to put the topping on and heat. I prepare all the veg , and the stuffing the day before, then really all there is to do on The Day is stuff the bird, put it in the oven, cook the prepared veg and make gravy.

For many years I hosted Christmas dinner, but last year we went to our son's house. DIL cooked the turkey and dessert, and I took the vegetables and appetizers. We hope to do that this year, but are waiting to see.

Sheila

Comment

One thing you won’t EVER find on my table at Christmas or any time of year are sprouts! Yuck! The devil’s food! I don’t like them and they certainly don’t like me.

Take care and stay well. Helen🎄

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
                  One thing you won’t EVER find on my table at Christmas or any time of year are sprouts! Yuck! The devil’s food! I don’t like them and they certainly don’t like me.

Take care and stay well. Helen🎄
                  I have a BIL who eats sprouts raw

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Annie
                    He obviously has intestines of cast iron!

Take care and stay well. Helen🎄🎄

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Annie
                      I don't like sprouts much but when I cook them (and most other vegetables) I barely cook them as we like them pretty firm.

My mother-in-law used to over-boil sprouts so much that it was possible to swallow them whole, without choking.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

I don't like sprouts much but when I cook them (and most other vegetables) I barely cook them as we like them pretty firm.

My mother-in-law used to over-boil sprouts so much that it was possible to swallow them whole, without choking.
                        Husband loves sprouts, but as you say, barely cooked. He would have sprouts with anything, so once in a while I buy a few just for him. Christmas dinner would be complete without sprouts as far as he is concerned. I can eat them but they are by no means my favourites.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X