• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eat out to Help Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    So many scared to go out now is the time to get out while places are open carefull and quiet.

They will be so desperate to get schools open those early weeks will be the ones to stay away as the teachers and parent get mass exposure.
    Scotland's schools are back next week but that will be a big test.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Thanks Garfie.

I wouldn't travel into the City Centre to eat at Hard Rock.

Yesterday I travelled to an Ayrshire coastal town and the eateries were all full. Many heard to mutter they can't find anywhere to have a cup of tea. We did - lucky with our timing. Felt very safe and all guidelines followed. The establishment probably turned away the equivalent of another 20 tables whilst we were sitting there??

JMO if people attempt to eat out and can't find a table at their favourite establishment, they may not try again.

Annie
      Why the worry about eating out in the City Centre. Yet, was it only yesterday, you said you were on Public Transport three times. If there is one thing I am conscously avoiding it is Public Transport, where social distancing is impossible........each to their own

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

not scared to go and eat [you're talking with one who can't wait to get back on board a ship after all] out, just don't have the need to when we can eat, with friends, at home or in the garden.
        Although it looks like that is being blamed for any infection increases and the first thing banned on any local lockdowns. However you will still be allowed out to a pub or restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Although it looks like that is being blamed for any infection increases and the first thing banned on any local lockdowns. However you will still be allowed out to a pub or restaurant.
          ...and I understand why house and gardens are locked down and am in agreement with it. Luckily for us, our friends have the same attitude to this virus, as us and we all trust one another. If we are all on lockdown again [none of us are under fifty!!!] then so be it. If we're that desperate to go out [and we're not] then a patio meal oran eat in at our fav. Indian, it will be.

Comment

Why the worry about eating out in the City Centre. Yet, was it only yesterday, you said you were on Public Transport three times. If there is one thing I am conscously avoiding it is Public Transport, where social distancing is impossible........each to their own
            Who said I was worried??

I am not worried about public transport - the social distancing was very good but I don't live in London.

There is no attraction for me to travel into the City Centre to eat at Hard Rock - simple. My preference is support local independent eateries.

I would rather travel further to the coast. In Scotland we were restricted to the 5 mile limit for leisure trips until recently so I loved being by the coast. We have the promise of another 2 dry days later in the week so guess where I am heading??

Annie
            Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 2nd August 2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

4 of us eating out could save upto £40. The restaurant (actually pub) I used last week I felt far safer sitting out in the garden having lunch than I would joining a take away queue........as you say each to their own.
              If it works for you great!

BTW who joins a takeaway queue?? Apart from a chippie perhaps??

We telephone the order, given a number and pick up time - no lines.

Annie

Comment

It(private space multi household) has been identified for some areas as a cause of the increase, plenty of others where this is not a problem with the main outbreaks are other settings.

Comment

Who said I was worried??

I am not worried about public transport - the social distancing was very good but I don't live in London.

There is no attraction for me to travel into the City Centre to eat at Hard Rock - simple. My preference is support local independent eateries.

I would rather travel further to the coast. In Scotland we were restricted to the 5 mile limit for leisure trips until recently so I loved being by the coast. We have the promise of another 2 dry days later in the week so guess where I am heading??

Annie
                  Ok, we are different down here, all our local independent eateries cannot survive on take aways, so to support them we need to eat there

Comment

Ok, we are different down here, all our local independent eateries cannot survive on take aways, so to support them we need to eat there
                    Chatting to a sister and I mentioned a preferred Indian restaurant has not enrolled for the scheme. She advised they have decided to trade only Thursday to Sunday for the present>

None of the Indian restaurants in a town where another sister lives have registered either.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Me too Issy. We wouldn't dream of going to a pub for a drink but if they have a good restaurant, then provided they can make me feel safe at the moment, we are happy to eat out often.
                      We very rarely go for a pub lunch as hubby prefers a proper restaurant.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We have 2 local family run restaurants within a 5-10 min walking distance from our house and like you we like to support them too.

Comment

Chatting to a sister and I mentioned a preferred Indian restaurant has not enrolled for the scheme. She advised they have decided to trade only Thursday to Sunday for the present>

None of the Indian restaurants in a town where another sister lives have registered either.

Annie
                          We have plenty of Indian takeaways but don’t have a local Indian sit in restaurant but there are plenty open within Glasgow centre and West end, South side, East end and the north who have all registered for this offer.
                          Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 3rd August 2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

First up £6.67.
                            Burger, Buttermilk chicken with extra beef patty, brie, bacon, chilli jam, chips and 6 onion rings, pint of Guinness and a ginger beer. (extra plate fed 2 for lunch)

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                              First up £6.67.
                              Burger, Buttermilk chicken with extra beef patty, brie, bacon, chilli jam, chips and 6 onion rings, pint of Guinness and a ginger beer. (extra plate fed 2 for lunch)

Do you mind!!

I have just come in from the gym, feeling ruddy virtuous and slightly hungry as I skipped lunch for a decent dinner, I sit down with a glass of water and a catch up and I see this!

Burger, onion rings and Chips, ambrosial fare, and all I look forward to is a chicken salad.

Posts such as yours should be banned.

()

Comment

Today we took my daughter to our local carvery. I was most surprised to see that they had signed up to Eat Out to Help Out scheme. When I looked on the online list, I couldn't see them there.

Anyway, we enjoyed a great roast with 2 glasses of wine and a pint of beer all for £20.88. I wasn't really bothered about the cost to be honest because we would have been happy to eat there anyway.

As this scheme is government funded, we will all pay in the long run of course.
                                Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X