• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine offers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh

Forget the Dover/Calais booze run! One can almost envisage a covert Operation Tesco Eyemouth/Berwick run!!!

Comment

I’m with you on Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc Mrs M. Although I am not bothering to drink a glass with my evening meal these days (I find that it tastes funny if it lasts the week out) I still like to have it in for when we have company. A couple of years ago Tesco only did the 25% discount a couple of times a year, now it seems that they are doing it around every 8-12 weeks. From what I see at the hospital where I work, the people who can least afford to smoke cigarettes are the ones who always seem to be puffing away in front of the office windows (the ones with the NO SMOKING signs plastered all over them). It is probably the same with drink.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

JMO - I don't think change of government in Holyrood will reverse the 2012 legislation.

We need a roll-out in RUK.

Annie
        I don’t want to turn this thread into a political discussion / argument .........Not suggesting that for a minute Annie. It’s down to personal choice. Who started this thread anyway

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

I don’t want to turn this thread into a political discussion / argument .........Not suggesting that for a minute Annie. It’s down to personal choice. Who started this thread anyway
          I was not the OP

We will agree to disagree

Annie

PS I proposed a sugar tax in 1978 - that only took 40 years

PPS BTW I will partially destroy my argument - the increased selling price benefits the retailer and not the government.
          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 20th November 2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Me...and I'm not totally loco...yet.
            I agree re politics, leave that to the forum political ''gurus''! Hic!!!

Comment

All this hair brained policy does is generate more profit for breweries and retailers. It's not as if the money is going to the treasury. I dare say that it would not dissuade us from drinking and in general research shows that people with a disposable income will continue to buy at a price they see fit, or a close alternative. What id does do is reduce the alcohol consumption of those with less disposable income by making it out of their reach. Do people on lower incomes not have the choice to drink or not, a few beers at a bbq or a couple of bottles of wine over the weekend? They're not the problem drinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                All this hair brained policy does is generate more profit for breweries and retailers. It's not as if the money is going to the treasury. I dare say that it would not dissuade us from drinking and in general research shows that people with a disposable income will continue to buy at a price they see fit, or a close alternative. What id does do is reduce the alcohol consumption of those with less disposable income by making it out of their reach. Do people on lower incomes not have the choice to drink or not, a few beers at a bbq or a couple of bottles of wine over the weekend? They're not the problem drinkers.
                We agree - people on lower incomes are adversely impacted.

I still like the policy.

They say smokers always find the money for cigarettes, does the same apply for drinkers??

Pub prices are not impacted much.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

We agree - people on lower incomes are adversely impacted.

I still like the policy.

They say smokers always find the money for cigarettes, does the same apply for drinkers??

Pub prices are not impacted much.

Annie
                  In a word, yes, they go without other things.

Comment

It is long overdue that Scotland faced its demons - namely alcohol. The minimum unit price doesn't affect me as I like a slightly more expensive drink (Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon is a good standby). But I don't look for multi-buys - in Scotland they are priced singly - if the price is handy I will buy a few.

In all things which need moderated the majority of the population take a hit because of the few - it was ever thus.

Cheers! Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

I know I’m fairly limited on the post count compared to many others on here but I like a good debate we can get our teeth into (especially about wine) , so thanks to Mrs M for posting it.
                      Last edited by mike, lanarkshire; 20th November 2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Not in Scotland .....Queen Nicola dictates we can’t be trusted to drink responsibly. We’ve also had a couple of Majestic offers via Amex recently but declined at the checkout when applying our post code.
                        How come it was declined at checkout? Are you only allowed to buy a certain amount in one go in Scotland?

Comment

I enjoy a glass of wine (or 6 depending on the company I'm with), as many of my forum friends know. Unfortunately at the moment, I can't drink alcohol due to my drug regime. I have a stock of my favourite wines sitting in the rack waiting for me to get stuck in when I am permitted, which I hope won't be much longer.
                          Kind friends and family have visited armed with either flowers or wine (or both), so I won't need to take advantage of any offers out there at the moment.

For those of you that can though..... cheers, enjoy and fill your boots!

I can't find a cheers smiley on here, or have I missed it?
                          Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                            I enjoy a glass of wine (or 6 depending on the company I'm with), as many of my forum friends know. Unfortunately at the moment, I can't drink alcohol due to my drug regime. I have a stock of my favourite wines sitting in the rack waiting for me to get stuck in when I am permitted, which I hope won't be much longer.
                            Kind friends and family have visited armed with either flowers or wine (or both), so I won't need to take advantage of any offers out there at the moment.

For those of you that can though..... cheers, enjoy and fill your boots!

I can't find a cheers smiley on here, or have I missed it?
                            Hope you're soon recovered and back to your normal self

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post

Hope you're soon recovered and back to your normal self
                              Thank you. The cups of tea smiley should be a glass of something stronger and will be as soon as is possible.
                              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

How come it was declined at checkout? Are you only allowed to buy a certain amount in one go in Scotland?
                                Insofar as the Majestic offer was concerned, after inserting the postcode I received this message “this offer is not valid in your area” We can buy as much as we like but at a much higher cost due to minimum pricing levels applied by the Scottish government.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X