• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sign of the Times?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
    You are so right. Seems that every man is seen by some as a predatory paedophile unless he proves otherwise. My wife was a primary school head, and kids were no longer allowed to visit Santa in his grotto at Christmas in case of allegations of molestation, despite having all the necessary background checks. Santa had to sit out in the open so that he and the child could be seen, and there was no question of sitting on Santa's knee. This was a local authority instruction. When I retired, I used to go to the school to do odd jobs so that the school could save a few quid. I gave up such were the frequent dirty looks from parents.
    Sadly that's the way some people think.
    I play father Christmas for my daughters Nursery , and it is great fun ,but you have be very careful how you hold the children ,as the pictures taken could not look right??
    Like you I do the odd job in the nursery and sometimes drive the children to school. I have to be police checked ,and my daughter always introduces me to the parents if I am in the nursery at the same time as them.
    Why do people always assume the worst in the rest of us ....Taffy
    ​Taffy

Comment

I know two people - a man and a woman, both teachers - who were each accused of 'inappropriate behaviour' by teenage schoolgirls, both of whom were immediately suspended. One pupil eventually admitted that 'maybe it hadn't happened'.
      Both teachers suffered months of suspicion because, of course, it became public knowledge; both became deeply depressed and both gave up their jobs, one now working with children in an African orphanage for a British charity.
      I knew both, though not well, and I had no doubt as to their innocence.

My last job involved working in schools and institutions often being alone checking in areas including toilets where, often, young children would be either singly or in groups without adult supervision. This would also happen with contractors. We were all well aware that it just needed one child to cry wolf, maybe as a 'joke', and we would face a very dark future. (Going in as pairs was financially prohibitive).

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
        Sadly that's the way some people think.
        I play father Christmas for my daughters Nursery , and it is great fun ,but you have be very careful how you hold the children ,as the pictures taken could not look right??
        Like you I do the odd job in the nursery and sometimes drive the children to school. I have to be police checked ,and my daughter always introduces me to the parents if I am in the nursery at the same time as them.
        Why do people always assume the worst in the rest of us ....Taffy
        My daughter was a teacher and the school was looking for men to read to the children and have the children to read to them as they had few male role models. I volunteered as I am retired and can read. The first question was "are you CRB checked or what ever that is?" No but I do have a top level security clearance from the Civil Service was my response, next question, did I have a criminal record? A couple of speeding convictions I replied. Well, if you get CRB cleared you can do it. I asked who paid for the CRB checks, you do was the reply, we can't afford to check every one. I passed one the reading job.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Deck, Waterlooville View Post
          My daughter was a teacher and the school was looking for men to read to the children and have the children to read to them as they had few male role models. I volunteered as I am retired and can read. The first question was "are you CRB checked or what ever that is?" No but I do have a top level security clearance from the Civil Service was my response, next question, did I have a criminal record? A couple of speeding convictions I replied. Well, if you get CRB cleared you can do it. I asked who paid for the CRB checks, you do was the reply, we can't afford to check every one. I passed one the reading job.
          May I suggest you try again because volunteers who receive no payment for the position i.e. parent helpers in schools, do not have to pay for a DBS [which is what CRB has become] check. It's free.

I am involved with numerous organisations where I need to be 'DBS'd' at an enhanced level. In the past, I needed separate CRB checks for each position. Now thank goodness, joined up thinking means there is now the Disclosure and Barring Service Update Service for which I pay £13 a year to belong to. It means my DBS clearance is automatically reviewed and updated and any fresh organisation which requires me to have a current DBS check can apply to me to view my records. In other words, it has become a portable DBS. Volunteers can go on it for free.
          Last edited by Mrs M; 8th July 2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

May I suggest you try again because volunteers who receive no payment for the position i.e. parent helpers in schools, do not have to pay for a DBS [which is what CRB has become] check. It's free.
            I can also verify that. I have recently applied as a volunteer as our local hospice (we are new in the area). There was no suggestion that I would have to pay for a CRB.
            Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
              I can also verify that. I have recently applied as a volunteer as our local hospice (we are new in the area). There was no suggestion that I would have to pay for a CRB.
              It's worth applying for the Update Service now Jill.You can use your DBS application number.
              It'll be a free service for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                It's worth applying for the Update Service now Jill.You can use your DBS application number.
                It'll be a free service for you.
                Thanks for that Mrs M.
                Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Top Deck, Waterlooville View Post
                  Well obviously the person I spoke to wasn't up to speed on the rules. My daughter has since resigned as a teacher because the school was putting preparing for Ofstead inspections before educating the children so I'll pass on the reading now I have no connections to the school.

Comment

my girls are 22 and 18 there is no way they'd had been allowed to go to a park, or on a bus or anywhere unsupervised aged 10.
                    i was always the mean one.
                    Maybe neurotic and a tiny bit paranoid. I'll admit. But no no not aged 10.

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                      my girls are 22 and 18 there is no way they'd had been allowed to go to a park, or on a bus or anywhere unsupervised aged 10.
                      Our two children are now aged 40 & 46, we had no problem letting them out to play at aged 10, we did not have a local park but we had a very large green and small wooded area just across the main road, there was also a cul-de-sac just down the road where a number of their friends lived which they also used to visit on their bikes and play,

Our youngest granddaughter is 9, although I would say a very old 9, our daughter lets her out to play with her friends in the street, also the parks (2) which are just over 5 minutes away by bike from their home. We live 5 minutes in the opposite direction to the park from our daughters and we will often find our granddaughter knocking on our door with her mates, they dump their bikes up our drive. The same used to happen with our daughters other 2 children, when they were at that age, they are now aged 15 & 18. Our younges granddaughter also has her own mobile phone, but don't think she takes it with her when out to play.
                      Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 8th July 2017, 06:56 PM.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                        I bow to your apparent expertise then Annie.
                        Never mind. Annie has always had a similar experience, on everything it seems, and never expands on it when I have asked her to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                          I went to see my daughter yesterday and when I parked my car my 9 year old grandson came running to see me with a group of friends.

It was a lovely sunny day, so nice to see them playing out instead of being stuck inside playing computer games as so many children do nowadays.

Comment

I started doing some invigilating for a local school, they paid for my DBS check. It does seem a lot of expense for schools to have to keep doing that. When we invigilate we are rarely left alone with the students, and there is always a teacher in the hall with us. Before my DBS came through I had to ask one of the others to accompany students outside to the toilet. We don't go in with them, just wait outside.
                            2018-
                            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                              It's actually quite scary, as I could have had a bad experience but was 'rescued' by some plain clothes police officers. I wonder if it was actually worse years ago, because you didn't hear or know any thing .................................................. .............Carol
                              I've wondered that, too, Carol... in my "O" level year, a very odd man was moved to our school from another in the same authority, to teach science. This was a rough mining area, with very street wise, tough rugby playing lads, who all suddenly seemed to have spare sixpences which bought a full Kit Kat at the tuck shop. The stories leaked out about the strange teacher paying them for a bit of fun in the back room of the labs... we girls just thought he was a one-off, a weirdo etc, and the boys were too busy laughing about it all to tell us. It was several years later that I discovered there were other strange characters such as this in the world... we were very innocent in the '50s.
                              Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X