• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should the cut the NHS.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should the cut the NHS.

NHS cuts 'planned across England' - BBC News.
    Also reported in the Guardian.https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-health-budget
    Proposed changes to the NHS (Cuts) unless more funding is found ?
    No Mention of cutting out some management levels (No Surprise) but closing ward cutting out services.
    Has the NHS taken on more issues than it needed to ,are we funding lifestyle problems not health issues?
    Or is it time to raise more taxes to fund the NHS.
    Noticed some private health care companies share price has risen recently ,do they now more than we do??...Taffy
    ​Taffy

Cut management, cut tattoo removals, cut breast enlargements, cut IVF, stop treating NHS tourists, or at least charge them, even better, make sure anybody entering GB has medical insurance, in fact cut all non-essential surgery until the NHS can afford to do the "luxury jobs".

Comment

Common sense says that the NHS can't continue to fund non-essential treatments. Cosmetic procedures should be paid for, as should family planning. When I first required family planning advice a charge was made. We are funding clinics to advise smokers how to stop, for goodness sake,if they can afford cigarettes they can pay for the treatments.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Deck, Waterlooville View Post
        Cut management, cut tattoo removals, cut breast enlargements, cut IVF, stop treating NHS tourists, or at least charge them, even better, make sure anybody entering GB has medical insurance, in fact cut all non-essential surgery until the NHS can afford to do the "luxury jobs".
        My nephew's gf, a tax paying EU worker, offered to pay for her treatment but was refused.

I think some services should be chargeable.

I think it is outrageous that England is the only part of the UK that levies a prescription tax.

I would apply a prescription tax across all countries and age groups.

This is interesting reading:

Doctors Fees and Prescription Charges - Irish Links

Annie

Comment

When my friend was abroad and taken ill , the first thing they asked about was his insurance , does that happen here . They say there are not enough doctors and nurses , perhaps there are just too many people .

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
            When my friend was abroad and taken ill , the first thing they asked about was his insurance , does that happen here . They say there are not enough doctors and nurses , perhaps there are just too many people .
            The UK would appear not to want to do the paperwork.

On my visit to a Spanish public hospital, I was treated without charge and never asked any insurance questions.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
              Common sense says that the NHS can't continue to fund non-essential treatments. Cosmetic procedures should be paid for, as should family planning. When I first required family planning advice a charge was made. We are funding clinics to advise smokers how to stop, for goodness sake,if they can afford cigarettes they can pay for the treatments.
              I think it's very easy to take a high-level hard line approach to this issue. "Cancel all non-essential surgery" - OK, but who decides what's non-essential? Does that include all non-life-threatening surgeries? Or is there some more nuanced split than that?

As for advice on how to give up smoking, it may have been decided that this is cost effective if it reduces the number of cancer treatments or other respiratory illnesses that are significantly more expensive to treat than just helping people quit in the first place. I suspect there are similar situations with gastric bands, breast reductions, etc.

I don't envy the people who have to work this out and balance it all... the job itself must be a nightmare, never mind the flak they get from people who obviously know better. That's not to say that there aren't things that it would be sensible to cut, but I wouldn't even know where to start!
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hi all
                It seems so far everyone would like to see cuts,be carefull what you wish for.
                Its the thin end of the wedge.
                Give the likes of Hunt an inch,he will take a mile.

I would willingly pay another 1% tax to help fund the NHS,,I am sure the patriotic millionaires would willingly pay more tax for the same reason,,,,maybe a 70% tax rate on income over £1m a year.
                JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi all
                  It seems so far everyone would like to see cuts,be carefull what you wish for.
                  Its the thin end of the wedge.
                  Give the likes of Hunt an inch,he will take a mile.

I would willingly pay another 1% tax to help fund the NHS,,I am sure the patriotic millionaires would willingly pay more tax for the same reason,,,,maybe a 70% tax rate on income over £1m a year.
                  JC
                  Hi JC

Did I say cuts??

I think the route is income generation. I am more than happy to purchase an annual prescription certificate.

Increasing the Income Tax rate by 1%, what guarantee that the NHS will receive the funding.

Eire and NZ, for example, charge for GP visits. I think in Eire there is a monthly cap for prescription charges.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    Hi JC

Did I say cuts??

I think the route is income generation. I am more than happy to purchase an annual prescription certificate.

Increasing the Income Tax rate by 1%, what guarantee that the NHS will receive the funding.

Eire and NZ, for example, charge for GP visits. I think in Eire there is a monthly cap for prescription charges.

Annie
                    Hi Annie
                    You are just proposing more charges on those unable to pay them.
                    I could say we fund our NHS way below most countries in Europe do.So that would back up your arguement of income generation,I agree.

Every organisation has fat that can be cut,,,but some are playing the ideology card in deciding which cuts.

Stopping free IVF treatment just means you stop the poorest having one of life's greatest gifts.

There is a quote from NoamChomsky......
                    "Standard technique of privatisation, attack, defund, make sure things dont work, make people angry and then hand it over to private capital."

JC

Comment

Hi Annie
                      Anyway,,,there won,t be a crisis in 2 years,,,,we will have Boris's £18bn a year savings from Brexit.
                      Whoooosh!!I just saw a pig fly over my garden.
                      JC

Comment

Hi Annie
                        You are just proposing more charges on those unable to pay them.
                        I could say we fund our NHS way below most countries in Europe do.So that would back up your arguement of income generation,I agree.

Every organisation has fat that can be cut,,,but some are playing the ideology card in deciding which cuts.

Stopping free IVF treatment just means you stop the poorest having one of life's greatest gifts.

There is a quote from NoamChomsky......
                        "Standard technique of privatisation, attack, defund, make sure things dont work, make people angry and then hand it over to private capital."

JC
                        Hi JC

Look at the link to the Irish model of charging for GPs visits and prescriptions - low income families are protected. BTW my argument for prescription charges for all was demolished by my pharmacist who said a Scottish government study proved that the cost of collecting charges exceeded income generated. However I do believe those who can afford to pay for prescriptions should.

My brother has a niece, through marriage, who works in NHS as a pharmacist and the stories of drug wastage shocked even me.

We agree that the NHS is under funded but I think we have to look at some of the current practices.

BTW I never associated IVF with poverty and I don't know how much of the current budget is spent on that.

OAP perks are estimated to cost approx. £4 billion in 2010/11. Just switch that money to the NHS -it would be a start

Annie

Comment

Hi Annie
                          Anyway,,,there won,t be a crisis in 2 years,,,,we will have Boris's £18bn a year savings from Brexit.
                          Whoooosh!!I just saw a pig fly over my garden.
                          JC
                          Have the Brexiteers decided what Brexit is btw??

I was in London 2 weeks ago and a neighbour of my sister said he voted for Brexit in order to limit the EU migrants which in turn would enable more Chinese migrants to enter the country

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                            I think it's very easy to take a high-level hard line approach to this issue. "Cancel all non-essential surgery" - OK, but who decides what's non-essential? Does that include all non-life-threatening surgeries? Or is there some more nuanced split than that?

As for advice on how to give up smoking, it may have been decided that this is cost effective if it reduces the number of cancer treatments or other respiratory illnesses that are significantly more expensive to treat than just helping people quit in the first place. I suspect there are similar situations with gastric bands, breast reductions, etc.

I don't envy the people who have to work this out and balance it all... the job itself must be a nightmare, never mind the flak they get from people who obviously know better. That's not to say that there aren't things that it would be sensible to cut, but I wouldn't even know where to start!
                            Duncan you put "cancel non-essential surgery" in quotation marks. Nowhere did I say that! Essential surgery is that which is necessary for health. Gastric bands should be a last resort, and usually are, if the patient requests this, they should pay. Breast enlargement or reduction should be paid for. Referral to a qualified bra fitter would be cheaper!

Surveys have shown that giving up smoking improves health. Other urges have shown that clinics that advise on stopping smoking are largely not effective. People return to smoking.

A charge for a prescription is not unreasonable, we have measures in place to ensure the very young, elderly and chronically sick don't suffer. So called health tourists should pay the full cost of the medication.

Comment

Cut waste. When elderly relative in NHS hospital for 3 months the waste was horrendous. Every visiting time there were more part used packets of dressings, equipment on bedside table. I am not talking about things that should not be used for hygiene reasons but more unopened things in multi boxes. It seemed easier for staff to get new from the corridor store than to find and use what was there. It also appeared that there were staff, medical and admin, hanging around chatting rather than being fully occupied.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X