• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Year resolutions? Errm......πŸ™„

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mason, Altrincham
    started a topic New Year resolutions? Errm......πŸ™„

New Year resolutions? Errm......πŸ™„

So, after nearly 2 weeks into the New Year are any of us keeping to our New Years resolutions? I can’t say that I actually resolved on anything as I was still recovering from THE lurgy of 2020. I know I need to lose a bit of weight and get get fitter than I am. I have a very sturdy grandson that I need to be able to lift and run around after when we help with childcare πŸ˜†(he wears me out, but he’s worth it). I could also do with getting rid of stuff that I don’t actually use or need. Anyone doing better than I have?

Take care and stay well. Helen

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

Totally agree!

One reason why we have leftover ones this year is that, as well as the cakes, I tried making panforte. I'd never eaten that before but I found a recipe and gave it a go. My family really liked it so I ended up making more of them. I suspect they were even more calorific than Christmas cakes, if that is possible, as they were crammed with roasted hazelnuts, almonds and pecans, held together with honey and brown sugar... you could almost see the weight piling on after a couple of slices...
    Now you know why I restrict my baking episodes - I am too good at eating it.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Mason, Altrincham
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post

They do tend to keep quite well or you can just freeze them & bring them out next year.

A few years ago my New Year's resolution was to stop making Christmas cakes and I did. I do love them but the temptation to have a slice with a cup of coffee got too difficult to resist.
    I tried that one year but I was forced to buy a cake because my darling hubby feels hard done by if he doesn’t have a Christmas cake to tuck into at some point. I plan to bring a rather large chunk of it into work for people to try. Thankfully some of the alcohol has evaporated so I won’t be charged with Typing Under the Influence. πŸ˜† Part of the problem is that my friend’s recipe is just too good. I now make it for her family as for many years she was taken up with the care of her late husband.

Take care and stay well. HelenπŸ˜‹

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post

They do tend to keep quite well or you can just freeze them & bring them out next year.

A few years ago my New Year's resolution was to stop making Christmas cakes and I did. I do love them but the temptation to have a slice with a cup of coffee got too difficult to resist.

Totally agree!

One reason why we have leftover ones this year is that, as well as the cakes, I tried making panforte. I'd never eaten that before but I found a recipe and gave it a go. My family really liked it so I ended up making more of them. I suspect they were even more calorific than Christmas cakes, if that is possible, as they were crammed with roasted hazelnuts, almonds and pecans, held together with honey and brown sugar... you could almost see the weight piling on after a couple of slices...

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear
    replied

We still have two large Christmas cakes and two Christmas puddings I made.

I wanted to eat them up now, but my husband says we should leave them until Easter (thus undoing any Jan to March efforts no doubt).

Yes, that'll work.

Leave a comment:

• Yogini, Waterlooville
    replied
    I did a lot of walking last year, which had the happy outcome of losing a noticeable amount of weight. I had decided to carry on with the efforts, and maybe add some different forms of exercise.

Leave a comment:

• mike, lanarkshire
    replied
    We’re both on diets and have been walking, albeit that just started yesterday due to the ice we’ve had. Paths have been terrible but we can thank the local council for that. Think they were doing it deliberately to keep us at home. Definitely cutting down Sunday to Friday and relaxing the rules on Friday and Saturday nights, albeit trying to cut out the crisps and chocolate. Not easy.

Leave a comment:

• Bigsis, Waterlooville
    replied
    I didn't make any new year resolutions either but I have put in too much weight this last year so I've signed up for WW. The Christmas food that's still in cupboard is in lock down and will only come out when we can have an extended family get together once this pandemic is a memory. If it goes out of date in the meantime, oh well 😏

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    I stopped making new year resolutions years ago as I never kept them.

Leave a comment:

• BandN, Markyate
    replied

You could always make a resolution to spend as much time and money as possible on holidays (Covid permitting), treats, luxuries and chocolate?
    Now there's a great idea. Thinking about working out a French road trip, but without putting in dates at the moment.

Barb

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied

I wanted to eat them up now, but my husband says we should leave them until Easter (thus undoing any Jan to March efforts no doubt).

Yes, that'll work.
    I did no Christmas baking because I would eat it

Annie

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied
    Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
    Don't make them and certainly wouldn't this year after the last horrible year. January is a bad enough month this year, so don't see any point making it worse. That's my excuse anyway

Barb
    You could always make a resolution to spend as much time and money as possible on holidays (Covid permitting), treats, luxuries and chocolate?

Leave a comment:

• BandN, Markyate
    replied
    Don't make them and certainly wouldn't this year after the last horrible year. January is a bad enough month this year, so don't see any point making it worse. That's my excuse anyway

Barb

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    I rarely make NYRs because I know that I probably would break them.

Like so many others, I am fighting the weight gain, despite not having all the Christmas extras to eat, due to not having any in stock. I was due to spend Christmas with my family in Surrey so hadn't bought all the naughty extras.

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post

Yup, we’ve just started on the Christmas cake this week as last week we were still eating mince pies. PLUS, there is a shed load of chocolate for us to get through πŸ˜†. Honestly, every Christmas I tell the kids and my hubby to cut down on the chocolate and every year it gets ignored. Oh well. Om nom nom........

Take care and stay well. Helen

Yes, that'll work.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X