• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else tried Alexa?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else tried Alexa?

As a first stage towards a new "Smart" House I have just bought an Amazon Echo Dot.

What fun we are having. It is linked to our Spotify music account, I have linked it to the smart lighting set-up and next step is to convert the security system. Future projects include smart plugs and smart blinds - all operated with your voice.

Even the smallest unit we have plays music, tells "Christmas Cracker" jokes, remembers appointments and lots more.

I haven't looked for a cruise bargain "Skill" yet, but I can see it coming soon when I will say "Alexa - cruise deals please".

Anybody else tried either Amazon Alexa or Google voice yet with tips for a new user?

Cheers

Tony B
    Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 27th November 2017, 06:41 PM.

Sorry, can't help. Good old BT can't even give us reliable broadband, so not much point in investing in technology.

Comment

Isn't it a very expensive toy?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
        Isn't it a very expensive toy?

Well said Judith

Who wants a smart house anyway - makes the job of hackers easier

Annie

Comment

We love our Alexa. She's amazing
          We intend to get smart devices to link up soon but at the moment she's a wealth of information and a brilliant speaker for music. I just love the fact that we can ask her to play anything by any artist and any radio station.
          We also leave her on for the dog when we're out to keep him company!
          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Bloke on QVC made me laugh..he said he caught his wireless security camera trying to connect to a dodgy adult site.

Somebody had hacked the connection.

Regards
            Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
              We love our Alexa. She's amazing
              We intend to get smart devices to link up soon but at the moment she's a wealth of information and a brilliant speaker for music. I just love the fact that we can ask her to play anything by any artist and any radio station.
              We also leave her on for the dog when we're out to keep him company!
              Hi Bigsis
              What happens if the dog barks and Alexa reply's with cat noises.
              JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

The sat nav in my car is annoying enough when it doesn't understand my instructions. I don't think I want the hassle in my house as well.

Comment

I think they look fun, and wanted one, but the kids said there was no point as their phones did everything and their dad agreed. But I would still like one .................................................. ........................Carol

Comment

Surprise surprise... we LOVE smart home technology. Almost all of our lights are Philips Hue lights, so we can control them with our iPhones and set them to do clever things (like come on automatically when we get home after dark).

Using the Amazon Echo is wonderful. We have an Echo in the living room, as well as a SONOS One with Alexa in the bedroom. Saying 'Alexa, turn off all the lights' before bed is handy!
                    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                      I think they look fun, and wanted one, but the kids said there was no point as their phones did everything and their dad agreed. But I would still like one .................................................. ........................Carol
                      Just get one - only £34 or so for basic unit - Has built in free access to Tunein radio and spotify music. Many other free apps. Also great for recipes.

cheers

Tony B

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                        Well buy one

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi Bigsis
                          What happens if the dog barks and Alexa reply's with cat noises.
                          JC
                          He's managed to stop Alexa playing before now. He must have the secret canine version of 'Alexa stop'
                          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

There is one in the pain relief clinic I go to. It was rather fun having it call up Bella Fleck, our favourite banjo player while I was having my pain relief injections. The nurses and doctor had never heard of him and I hope they liked his music🎼. We have Hive for the heating but I can't see us going as technical as all that.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Have you asked Alexa to wipe your backsides yet?

As has been mentioned across the media recently, most of the 'smart' accessory devices on the market have relatively poor internet security and are an entry point into home networks for hackers. Even IT 'experts' have had their identity details stolen by criminals who gained access via their smart internet connected devices around the home.

I seem to remember seeing a sci-fi film made back in the steam driven days where technology had made the people so lazy that they all moved around in hi-tech wheelchairs. Hmmm, a vision of the future perhaps.

Our home heating and lighting is controlled by simple time switches and if I want to turn the bedroom light off, I have a switch next to the bed. I've worked in technology all my life, but I'm not blinded by it.

The words fools, money and parted come to mind.

Cheers OSD

(An analogue man in a digital world)
                              Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X