• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many units? ~ Alcohol conversion tables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelledpea, Stalybridge
    started a topic How many units? ~ Alcohol conversion tables

How many units? ~ Alcohol conversion tables

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/dictunit/booka.pdf

Shell

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
    A bit abrupt Mrs M. I'll consider myself told off. Judith
    It wasn't meant as such , but feel free to interpret as you wish.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    Cooke, Deed is a spammer who has copied and pasted part of another's post to advertise his/her link.
    A bit abrupt Mrs M. I'll consider myself told off. Judith

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
    Interesting Deed, I didn't know that. Regarding units per week, surely moderation in all things is the best advice. One side of the medical profession is recommending red wine for its anti-oxidant properties while the other is warning about liver damage and various cancers. There are so many different ways of cutting down on the alcohol we consume, including putting down the glass between sips, alternating alcoholic and soft drinks, taking turns to be the designated driver (also saves on taxi fares) and if you are out for a long evening, say 7 pm until 1 am, only drink alcohol for the middle bit - between 8.30 and 11pm. Or we can just buy the aspirin and suffer the hangover!
    Cooke, Deed is a spammer who has copied and pasted part of another's post to advertise his/her link.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Interesting Deed, I didn't know that. Regarding units per week, surely moderation in all things is the best advice. One side of the medical profession is recommending red wine for its anti-oxidant properties while the other is warning about liver damage and various cancers. There are so many different ways of cutting down on the alcohol we consume, including putting down the glass between sips, alternating alcoholic and soft drinks, taking turns to be the designated driver (also saves on taxi fares) and if you are out for a long evening, say 7 pm until 1 am, only drink alcohol for the middle bit - between 8.30 and 11pm. Or we can just buy the aspirin and suffer the hangover!

Leave a comment:

• Pete, Caerphilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Shelledpea, Stalybridge View Post
    We're ok this isn't a book for them over the water..............:p 100% proof 57.06%ABV

Take a look at the small print at the bottom of page 10 ;)
    Yep read that, probably the most important statement is the red writing on page 2. Put there for the small brained americans?

I used to have to use these calculations in my job as about 90% of the products I made were shipped in the purest alcohol there is (Spectroscopic Grade) which made fantastic punch.

There was a sad case at Cardiff medical school where med students used "absolute alcohol 164 proof" in some punch not realising that the missing 10 degrees proof was highly toxic methanol and one nurse died from drinking it.

Pete

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Pete, Caerphilly View Post
    Hi Shell,

You have to be careful with degrees proof as most of the world use pure alcohol as 174 degrees proof. However the Americans , who must have smaller brains , can't cope with 174 and call pure alcohol 200 degrees proof just so the arithmatic is simpler.

historically spirits that are 100 degrees proof contain the minimum concentration of alcohol such that if the spirit is mixed with gunpowder the gunpowder can still be ignited. Hence the proof that the spirit is sufficiently strong to warrent paying duty.

THIS WAS THE TEST (OR PROOF) NEED BY CUSTOMS OFFICERS IN BYGONE YEARS.

Pete
    We're ok this isn't a book for them over the water..............:p 100% proof 57.06%ABV

Take a look at the small print at the bottom of page 10 ;)

Leave a comment:

• Pete, Caerphilly
    replied
    There is also a proof conversion table contained ;)
    Hi Shell,

You have to be careful with degrees proof as most of the world use pure alcohol as 174 degrees proof. However the Americans , who must have smaller brains , can't cope with 174 and call pure alcohol 200 degrees proof just so the arithmatic is simpler.

historically spirits that are 100 degrees proof contain the minimum concentration of alcohol such that if the spirit is mixed with gunpowder the gunpowder can still be ignited. Hence the proof that the spirit is sufficiently strong to warrent paying duty.

THIS WAS THE TEST (OR PROOF) NEED BY CUSTOMS OFFICERS IN BYGONE YEARS.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 23rd November 2010, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Pete, Caerphilly View Post

A single whisky (23.7ml) at 70 degrees proof is a lot more difficult to calculate. Neat pure alcohol is 174 degrees proof. 70 proof is 70/174 x 100 = 40.22% alcohol. So a single whisky has 23.7 x 0.4022 /10 = 0.95 units.

Pete
    There is also a proof conversion table contained ;)

Leave a comment:

• Pete, Caerphilly
    replied
    A unit of alcohol is defined as 10ml of ethanol.

So a 750ml bottle of 14% wine contains 750 X 0.14 divided by 10. that is 112.5 divided by 10 = 11.25 units or nearly 2 units per glass (125ml)

A pint(568ml) of 4% beer is 568 X 0.04 /10 = 2.27 units

A single whisky (23.7ml) at 70 degrees proof is a lot more difficult to calculate. Neat pure alcohol is 174 degrees proof. 70 proof is 70/174 x 100 = 40.22% alcohol. So a single whisky has 23.7 x 0.4022 /10 = 0.95 units.

Pete

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
    So 14 times 6 bottles times seven days = 588 bottles of red a week

So I am well under the recommended limit ;) :D :D
    Careful,

Dave will be asking if you've had a liver function test recently and we're only supposed to admit to one vice (Not 4 L:DL)

Leave a comment:

• spartan, kent
    replied
    So 14 times 6 bottles times seven days = 588 bottles of red a week

So I am well under the recommended limit ;) :D :D

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...