• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Respect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respect

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a greater lack of respect
    shown to our fellow man/woman these days than say 30 years ago?

It seems to me that too many people don't even know what it means, yet alone show any.

I was always taught by my parents, to respect one's elders and to be polite and non-aggressive at all times-even if pushed into a corner.

Now as I grew up, I realised that although Mum and Dad were instilling certain standards into their kids, respect comes in all shapes and forms and sometimes needs to be earned.

I soon learned that in a classroom, kids need to respect their teachers if they were going to learn anything from them. It was therefore up to the teacher to earn that respect in order to get the best from their pupils.

The same applies with work colleagues as cooperation is born of respect that others may have a different approach to the job.

I'm sure that you have already sussed where I am going with this thread.

Yes, it's the same with Forums.

When I joined this forum over a year ago, I knew nothing about cruise holidays/ships/cruise lines.

I had tried a couple of other cruise related forums but being totally ignorant, I couldn't see the wood for the trees so went for this site, which back then was a third of it's present size and much easier for me to navigate.

Being a newbie, I trod lightly as I wanted to learn, having just returned from our first cruise and wanting to do some homework on the next.
    Yep, I was well and truly hooked.

I soon got to know the knowledgable members both in the forum and on the original homepage Q/A section and yes, many of our members take time out from the forum to answer questions posted by people who haven't joined the forum.

I have great respect for many of these members who have helped me because they've earned it.

You can argue that there are certain debating styles amongst our members that may rub some people up the wrong way but hey, you will find that in most walks of life when there is a difference of opinion.

A newbie came on here recently (nothing to do with any on going squabbles, as far as I'm aware), who didn't ingratiate himself with his initial abrasive style. However, when a few of us pointed out that he would not receive a very warm welcome unless he changed his attitude, he tempered his style a bit and has now slotted in with the rest of us.

That is the fundamental ethos of this forum- Mutual respect- not by right but earned.

Is it any wonder that those of us that have been on this forum a while take exception to people that make no effort to fit in?
    Jill

Originally posted by Smith, Crayford View Post
    Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a greater lack of respect
    shown to our fellow man/woman these days than say 30 years ago?

It seems to me that too many people don't even know what it means, yet alone show any.

I was always taught by my parents, to respect one's elders and to be polite and non-aggressive at all times-even if pushed into a corner.

Now as I grew up, I realised that although Mum and Dad were instilling certain standards into their kids, respect comes in all shapes and forms and sometimes needs to be earned.

I soon learned that in a classroom, kids need to respect their teachers if they were going to learn anything from them. It was therefore up to the teacher to earn that respect in order to get the best from their pupils.

The same applies with work colleagues as cooperation is born of respect that others may have a different approach to the job.

I'm sure that you have already sussed where I am going with this thread.

Yes, it's the same with Forums.

When I joined this forum over a year ago, I knew nothing about cruise holidays/ships/cruise lines.

I had tried a couple of other cruise related forums but being totally ignorant, I couldn't see the wood for the trees so went for this site, which back then was a third of it's present size and much easier for me to navigate.

Being a newbie, I trod lightly as I wanted to learn, having just returned from our first cruise and wanting to do some homework on the next.
    Yep, I was well and truly hooked.

I soon got to know the knowledgable members both in the forum and on the original homepage Q/A section and yes, many of our members take time out from the forum to answer questions posted by people who haven't joined the forum.

I have great respect for many of these members who have helped me because they've earned it.

You can argue that there are certain debating styles amongst our members that may rub some people up the wrong way but hey, you will find that in most walks of life when there is a difference of opinion.

A newbie came on here recently (nothing to do with any on going squabbles, as far as I'm aware), who didn't ingratiate himself with his initial abrasive style. However, when a few of us pointed out that he would not receive a very warm welcome unless he changed his attitude, he tempered his style a bit and has now slotted in with the rest of us.

That is the fundamental ethos of this forum- Mutual respect- not by right but earned.

Is it any wonder that those of us that have been on this forum a while take exception to people that make no effort to fit in?
    I was also raised to respect others and to treat people how you would like to be treated so very well put Jill

Lynn

Comment

Hear Hear Jill, very well put ...............................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
        Hear Hear Jill, very well put ...............................Carol
        I second that
        Carol

Comment

Jill!
          That was very well put. I do hope that some of the trouble causers take notice, but I doubt it. Thank goodness when I was at school I also learned respect. Also, I learned respect from my Mum and Dad. But in my schooldays it was just trivial misdemeanours, that we got a black mark for. I was often late, have to admit I played truant once or twice just to be with my beloved ponies. But I still respect others and always will. How times have changed. What is so wrong with a bit of politeness a bit of consideration for others? Not charging in without a thought for others feelings. Oh! such is life, we all live and learn and I will continue with this forum... 'The good and the bad' Some really good on here at the moment. But if I had been a prefect (Never was) there would have been a lot of black marks given out recently. Onwards and upwards as they say. :D
          sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

That's 3 Carols in succession that responded.

Thanks Carol, Carol and Carol.:D

Interestingly enough, someone has just sent me an unnecessarily nasty response to apost on another thread.
            I was a prefect Carol (Calgray) and he has definitely been awarded a black mark in my book.
            Jill

Comment

Interestingly enough, someone has just sent me an unnecessarily nasty response to apost on another thread.
              I was a prefect Carol (Calgray) and he has definitely been awarded a black mark in my book.
              I saw that, it makes you wonder if one should voice their opinion incase you get attacked in this way/
              Shameful.
              Regards
              Lynn

Comment

I'm not up to speed today Jill. I havn't seen it, where ?
                sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                  I'm not up to speed today Jill. I havn't seen it, where ?
                  Read the Flogging a Dead Horse thread.
                  Jill

Comment

Can't spoil the run! another Carol I still have respect for authority figures, for example I really struggle calling Doctors by their first names. The new ones we get these days at the hospital often say "call me Peter or whatever" and although old enough to be their mum it does feel slightly strange.
                    I do agree respect is earned and I soon lose any respect for people who treat others badly..Carol

Comment

i have found everyone very very helpful and as about to go on our first cruise invaluable. i do have a wicked sense of humour so dont take me to seriously please.
                      thanks to all for the tremendous help.
                      brian

less than two weeks now

Comment

I agree, however, there are occasions where, even on a forum, respect has to be earned.

When I first joined, I tried to join in, answer a few questions, join in with discussions, but a small handful of established members jumped down my throat. I started to respond, but then felt my energies were better spent elsewhere. I even considered not coming back. I'm glad I did, but sometimes there appears to be a lack of respect shown for new members opinions. It's all very well to mention posting styles and the like, but even new members have a posting style too...

I think respect works both ways

Comment

Sorry to spoil the run, its a Gerri here but I agree with the Carols' . If we find we can't repsect posters until they have earned it we should at least reposond in a couteous manner. All this aggression is not helpful at all. Lets get back to cruise chat and a little light hearted banter. I for one enjoy all aspects of this site and hope to be able to continue to do so.

Comment

I have always been brought to to treat people with respect and I totally agree with Jill, that respect has to be earned. I have in my own way tried to gain the respect of the members of this site as I have with members of other sites I post on. I have been posting on cruise Forums for nearly 3 years and remain a member of all those I have joined.
                            During that time I have made many Cyber Friends, some who have also become friends in real life, part of that friendship being to be on hand if they should ever need my help. As a result I have great difficulty in standing idly by, when I see people posting, what are a complete pack of lies regarding them. Even then I try as much as I can to reply with some dignity, and respect for other members.
                            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Jill,from yet another Carol I totally agree with all thats been said. My mother words were always treat other people as you would like to be treated.
                              I also find the use of calling people by their Christian names, other than close family and friends not quite right,especially people who are older than me

Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X