• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flogging a dead horse!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flogging a dead horse!!

Has anyone else noticed there are a couple of topics on this site what wont go away?

It seems to me that some people who dont seem to be interested in cruise topics are constantly arguing back and forth about absolutely nothing

If you check out the meaning of "Flogging a dead horse" you will understand what I mean

Anyway, I look forward to reading everyone's experiences and helpful advice off fellow cruiser's

Regards
    Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Yes we are aware of these posts but this stirring has been going on for a while.

The majority of us want the nice cruise centric forum that we had until April back

Bear with us it will all be sorted or peeter out in the end

Shell x
    We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Newton le Willows
      Thanks Shell,

But if everyone stopped replying they would peeter out a lot quicker
      it reall is getting rather boring isnt it, I think the "bella topic has had about 175 replies, and so it continues!

Regards
      Lynn

Lynn
      True Lynn and some of us wanted that thread closed by admin as so many people wanted the last word.

Unfortunately, no action was taken and I suspect that has something with the launch of QE.
      Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith, Crayford View Post
        True Lynn and some of us wanted that thread closed by admin as so many people wanted the last word.

Unfortunately, no action was taken and I suspect that has something with the launch of QE.
        Here we go again. Are you saying - "I don't like that thread, although I read every word, and I want it closed. Never mind about the other members who are contributing to it. I don't like it and it should be closed."
        For goodness sake - leave the grownups to it. If you dislike a thread that much - dont' read it. Ever so simple.

H

Comment

I don't think the thread should be closed off. I think it serves as a reminder to us all to watch what we say and to whom. I think we should all be aware this is not a cosy meeting place for like minded folk any more and I also think that those who post personal stuff on an open forum should be viewed with a healthy dose of scepticism at times.

Comment

oops, I used the I word.

Sorry Harvey but it's hard to reply without doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
              Here we go again. Are you saying - "I don't like that thread, although I read every word, and I want it closed. Never mind about the other members who are contributing to it. I don't like it and it should be closed."
              For goodness sake - leave the grownups to it. If you dislike a thread that much - dont' read it. Ever so simple.

H
              Harvey, it would seem that I am not alone in wanting the Bella thread closed.
              Yes I read it because I'm hoping that common sense will prevail and the responses will dry up, which in turn will cut off the blood supply to the topic in question.

Why do you have to be so abrasive? It is so unnecessary.
              Jill

Comment

Harvey!
                I know you used to be Mr. Grumpy. But Jill is perfectly entitled to post her feelings. I always got on with you and hopefully will in the future. But there is too much ill feeling on here at the moment. Can we get back to what we were? You being grumpy, me being over sensitive, Jill being very honest and polite. There are so many other members I would like to mention... but I have to go and make a sandwich.
                We all need to get back to where we were.
                sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Why do you have to be so abrasive? It is so unnecessary.
                  I may have been aggressive and I'm sorry that you feel I was. However, I was quite upfront in posting my view whereas you went off secretly to admin, presumably by PM, to get a strong going thread closed just because you didn't like it. I'd rather be upfront about things rather than squirrelling off behind the scenes.

H

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                    Harvey!
                    I know you used to be Mr. Grumpy. But Jill is perfectly entitled to post her feelings. I always got on with you and hopefully will in the future. But there is too much ill feeling on here at the moment. Can we get back to what we were? You being grumpy, me being over sensitive, Jill being very honest and polite. There are so many other members I would like to mention... but I have to go and make a sandwich.
                    Of course she is entitled to post her feelings. The problem is that she only posted her feelings AFTER she secretly asked Admin to close a thread she didn't like.
                    I AM a grumpy old man, as you rightly point out, but I'm really a big soft teddy bear at heart. (I just don't understand someone PMing Admin to close a lively, strong going thread just because they don't like it. It's selfish.)

cheers
                    Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                      Harvey!
                      Mmmm cheese and onion for me calgary !
                      brian

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Newton le Willows
                        I am sure Admin would only close a thread if they had very good reason too and I would say the "Bella" thread has become very close to the bone, there are a few members who feel they have to have the last word, it doesnt even seem to be about Bella anymore but more about Male ego's.

On a few threads one person in particular seems to think he runs the show, maybe he has been on the forum too long and needs to retire gracefully.

I was under the assumption this was about Cruises, maybe some members have lost the excitement of their first cruise and now have nothing left to say so they just attack new members whom are genuinely looking forward to there upcoming holiday, this should be a light hearted forum and there is no room for arrogant peoplewho are spoiling the enjoyment of this forum for the rest of us.

Happy Cruising
                        Regards
                        Lynn
                        Lynn, the forum had been on line for over a year before you joined in August 2010.
                        We have 14,900 members at the last look. May I respectfully say I don't think it's up to you or I to say who should post and who should retire.

If you have a look at the Quick Posts and look at which threads have had the most veiws, I think you'll find the contentious ones well up there.

So somebody is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
                          Of course she is entitled to post her feelings. The problem is that she only posted her feelings AFTER she secretly asked Admin to close a thread she didn't like.
                          I AM a grumpy old man, as you rightly point out, but I'm really a big soft teddy bear at heart. (I just don't understand someone PMing Admin to close a lively, strong going thread just because they don't like it. It's selfish.)

cheers
                          Harvey
                          I'm sorry you see me as selfish Harvey, as you are sorry that I see you as abrasive.

I did plead with those that kept the mud slinging going, to stop.
                          The reason that I did that was that I don't think that raking over old coals was doing this forum any favours at all.

We are essentially a cruise forum and do have some lively debates, mostly connected with cruising.

If we want this forum to attract new members in order to bring fresh ideas and knowledge then I would think that reading endless posts about particular individuals and their involvement in feuds/fraud/whatever would not encourage them to join.

I did ask admin to look at the situation and make a judgement but not for selfish reasons.
                          Last edited by Smith7; 10th October 2010, 04:43 PM.
                          Jill

Comment

Cant we all just get along

Regards
                            Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                              Lynn, the forum had been on line for over a year before you joined in August 2010.
                              We have 14,900 members at the last look. May I respectfully say I don't think it's up to you or I to say who should post and who should retire.

If you have a look at the Quick Posts and look at which threads have had the most veiws, I think you'll find the contentious ones well up there.

So somebody is interested.
                              Sorry Lynn I agree with Mrs M threads can't be closed because people don't agree with them ,the very nature of a forum is debate, and this one is a very sad and sorry one but it will run it, course,
                              If you want to see a long running thread look at the smoking, and gratuities thread they aren't polite at times and no one is suggesting that they should be closed down.

As for suggesting someone retire from this forum everyone has their own style of posting, I know Jill is quite capable of holding her own some posters are straight to the point and don't mince their words, others like a debate,we are all different but we allhave a right to speak new and old alike. CG
                              Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 10th October 2010, 06:01 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X