• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B&D, Shepton Mallet View Post
    I bought my eReader nearly a year ago and love it. I have a problem reading small print and also needed to take into account the weight of books for bedtime reading. Finding large print, light weight books was very limiting. The eReader has solved these problems. I opted for the Sony PRS touchscreen as I didn't want to be tied to Amazon books but be able to borrow library books. I believe the Barns & Noble that someone else mentioned is also compatible with public libraries.
    Amazon .com.have started a public library borrowing application for US kindle users.
    Maybe that will be a possibility over here one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
      Toon girl...I think I'm going to have to buy one too. Is this one of the cheapies? I thought £89 to save a few domestics over checked bag weight might be worth a try.
      I had a good look at one while on the pool deck on holiday in November and decided I'd be able to see it in the direct suinshine. Now I just need a push which, as a lover of real books, might have to be a shove!
      Mrs M

Lorraine is a lover of books, and has boxes of them, which an Aunt gave her, which she was wading through. However my two children bought her a Kindle for christmas, the books remain in the box and the kindle goes with her everywhere.
      It was the £89 version.
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
        Mrs M

Lorraine is a lover of books, and has boxes of them, which an Aunt gave her, which she was wading through. However my two children bought her a Kindle for christmas, the books remain in the box and the kindle goes with her everywhere.
        It was the £89 version.
        Hey, thanks for replying Delboy.

Does Lorraine find the one she has easy to navigate/download books? I would do it before I went away and bearing in mind, Cunard and Holland America have great libraries so it would probably be for our land based holidays.

Comment

Hey, thanks for replying Delboy.

Does Lorraine find the one she has easy to navigate/download books? I would do it before I went away and bearing in mind, Cunard and Holland America have great libraries so it would probably be for our land based holidays.
          Mrs M
          She can navigate it ok, at the moment she gets the books from our Son, she tells him the Author and Title, he downloads them and sends them to her via Email, and she just conects the kindle to the computer, and moves them across.
          Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Mrs M
            She can navigate it ok, at the moment she gets the books from our Son, she tells him the Author and Title, he downloads them and sends them to her via Email, and she just conects the kindle to the computer, and moves them across.
            Oh grief...that sounds complicated. I was hoping I could easily download from Amazon so needed to know if it was an easy process.

Comment

Oh grief...that sounds complicated. I was hoping I could easily download from Amazon so needed to know if it was an easy process.
              Mrs M

Actually its very easy, but more easy to do it via Amazon, she does this way because she then gets the books for free.
              Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Easy Peasy reading

Mrs M

Actually its very easy, but more easy to do it via Amazon, she does this way because she then gets the books for free.
                I love my Kindle! My dear hubby got it for my Xmas without asking me about it and I was lukewarm as I love a printed book! However I'm a convert! He also bought a leather cover/holder for it so it feels like holding a book. I like to increase the Font Size to take the strain off and the non reflective screen is great. I've downloaded loads of free books and also like the option to "sample" chapters before commiting to buying/downloading direct from the Kindle via Amazon account (register your credit card!). Looking forward to using it on holiday instead of leaving all my books behind to make room for the weight of holiday purchases!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JacMor1963, Fife View Post
                  I love my Kindle! My dear hubby got it for my Xmas without asking me about it and I was lukewarm as I love a printed book! However I'm a convert! He also bought a leather cover/holder for it so it feels like holding a book. I like to increase the Font Size to take the strain off and the non reflective screen is great. I've downloaded loads of free books and also like the option to "sample" chapters before commiting to buying/downloading direct from the Kindle via Amazon account (register your credit card!). Looking forward to using it on holiday instead of leaving all my books behind to make room for the weight of holiday purchases!!!
                  You say register a credit card. I already buy from Amazon.co.uk. Will that be OK?

Comment

I already buy from Amazon and as soon as I set my kindle up the screen name 'Angela's Kindle' flashed up! It's magic! Within the first 5 mins I had downloaded 3 books and it was so easy. You just buy with '1 click' If I can do it anyone can. It is the £89 version. Dead simple! (Once I understood what a wireless key was!!)
                    Angela

Comment

I like the fact that I can download my Guardian if I wake early. Can be sitting with a cup of tea and days news at 5 am. A month's papers for little more than cost of four Saturday papers.

Comment

Well. I've bought my Kindle and just bought my first two books. I suppose I ought to read the instructions before the books...but it's quite exciting.

I can see Amazon might be about to experience a hike in profits!

Comment

Enjoy your Kindle I love mine lots of free books too!!

Diane

Comment

My wife, who thinks books are "untidy", book me a kindle for Christmas. I love "real" books and I have told her that when I can find a buyer for my Betamax I shall be able to afford to start downloading some books - me thinks I might be reading paper for some time!

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey, Bristol upon Cream View Post
                              I'm no technophobe as I've been involved with IT for over forty years but I just don't like reading a book via a computer screen of whatever format. I like the idea of placing my book-marker in the page when I stop reading. I also need, on occasions, to quickly flip back a page or two. Not the same with a Kindle.

H

ps the batteries never run out in a book!
                              As the saying goes - 'Never say never'.

That's my post above some time back on this thread.

I am now a Kindle convert.

It's light, it's easy on the eyes and I've never lost my place in between reads. It's also very easy to flip back a page or two. Finally, the batteries last for ages.

cheers
                              Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by DarbyRN, Lee-on-the-Solent View Post
                                My wife, who thinks books are "untidy", book me a kindle for Christmas. I love "real" books and I have told her that when I can find a buyer for my Betamax I shall be able to afford to start downloading some books - me thinks I might be reading paper for some time!
                                We were in the Betamax camp too!!!

Kindles are for land holidays only. Actually it's just to save on the domestics at packing time. Real books any day of the week!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X