• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What's it all about Alfie"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"What's it all about Alfie"

Maybe not something we may wish to discus .
    The Very Tragic case of Young Alfie the child very much making world wide news at the moment.
    I can Understand the Hospital and the courts saying "Further treatment would not be in the lads best interest" .

But why on earth are they stopping the parents taking him abroad ,for further care or treatment.
    Is someone playing god or what,I see no reason why any judge should stop him going abroad ,just plain stubbornness in my opinion....Taffy
    ​Taffy

According to 2 doctors on TV this morning, there would be a very strong chance that Alfie would not be able to survive such a journey. They also explained that he is at the end stage of his particular condition and that the Italian hospital could not offer any different type of treatment to what he has been receiving at Alder Hey. I hope they allow the parents to take him home today.

Comment

I can't see any airline allowing him to board in his condition, but I am confused as to why a court imposes a such ban.
      Wilba

Comment

Alfie would be flown in a military aircraft provided by the Italian govt as I understand it. A private ambulance would take him to the airfield and there would be medical professionals on board. He would be going to a children’s hospital within Vatican City or an equally prestigious one in Milan. His parents are really kids themselves but Alfie’s dad in particular has been so impressive with how he’s fought for his son.I firmly believe that these two parents should be allowed to take their son to Italy, they can then feel that no matter what, they have done everything in their power for Alfie. I truly hope that common decency prevails and they can take him to Italy.

Comment

I feel so sorry for the family.There are no winners in this. You could argue that people are playing God, but equally you could argue they have the child's best interests at heart as moving him now, all indications are that he would not survive the journey and how would the parents feel if that happened?Allowing him home does seem like a sensible compromise.I think people in desperate situations do try to cling to hope.My Mum was diagnosed as terminally ill a couple of years ago.It was very difficult but I believed and trusted the healthcare professionals to have her best interests at heart.Some of the staff were truly unbelievable in the outstanding care they provided.What I find really hard to understand is how some off the supporters of the family have behaved in abusing staff at the hospital.Emotions clearly run high but there is no excuse for this.I hope the parents get some peace with their son and that outside events do not interfere with that quality time.

Comment

Unless child abuse is involved the courts should not interfere, what parent would not fight to the end. They say he would not last the flight but he's still alive after coming off the machine so who's wrong. As of the flight what if he does not survive but probably all they are doing is ending his life a few weeks/months early, but if the hospital can help who knows the outcome. Hope this never happens to anyone but let's say a doctor said you have two weeks to live but this medicine "may" give you a few years what would you do ?. Whatever we say it's a situation I'm glad I never had to make that decision.

Comment

Its a very sad situation , However I am disgusted by the behaviour of so called supporters abusing nursing staff and doctors outside the hospital. We have friends who have been through this a few years ago and I must say how much I admired their composure and dignity at all times when handling this terrible dilemma. Sometimes we have to allow nature to take its course. Jan.

Comment

George, Gateshead, I agree entirely, as a parent I cannot begin to imagine what they must be going through and I too would want to do everything in my power to give my child a chance.Nearly 9 years ago now I was diagnosed with a rare very aggressive cancer and my prognosis was not good. They admitted that as it was so rare they didn’t have the sort of information they had about say, breast cancer.Doctors can get things wrong, not maliciously but because they deal in facts! They have not been able to pinpoint what exactly is Alfie’s problem, so why not give another hospital a chance to try something different. It is just too heartbreaking, what a beautiful little boy.

Comment

Jan Lowden, I agree the abuse of staff at the hospital is just wrong as was the attempt to try to gain access to the hospital. Alfie’s dad has appealed to them to stop, so they cannot be blamed for this, but feelings are running very high and some people overreact!We all deal with difficult circumstances in different ways, this little family are not yet ready to be parted, that is something they may eventually have to deal with, but that must surely be allowed to happen on their terms not the Courts.

Comment

I don't understand why they won't let them take him to Italy, miracles do happen, and its not going to cost the NHS anything, poor little boy, my heart goes out to all of them .................................................. .................Carol

Comment

Carol, that’s what I don’t understand, it’s actually costing the NHS to have barristers representing the NHS at every court appearance.

Comment

I am sure what is Paramount to the Doctors and medical team at Alder Hey hospital is what is in the best interest of the child irrespective of any costs involved.
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                          I don't understand why they won't let them take him to Italy, miracles do happen, and its not going to cost the NHS anything, poor little boy, my heart goes out to all of them .................................................. .................Carol
                          I agree Carol,no skin of anyones nose if he makes it then great.
                          It would remove all the bad feelings that this case is generating,I would think the Hospital would be delighted to see him go....Taffy
                          ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                            I agree Carol,no skin of anyones nose if he makes it then great.
                            It would remove all the bad feelings that this case is generating,I would think the Hospital would be delighted to see him go....Taffy
                            Why would the Hospital be delighted to see him go, they are doing what all hospitals do day in and day out and that's caring for the sick. I am sure all the Hospital is interested in is what's best for the child and in their opinion to take him to Italy would not be in the child's interest.

I am sure the Hospital don't like the stick and abuse they are getting but their primary interest is in the child's well being and the palliative care he needs.
                            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                              Why would the Hospital be delighted to see him go, they are doing what all hospitals do day in and day out and that's caring for the sick. I am sure all the Hospital is interested in is what's best for the child and in their opinion to take him to Italy would not be in the child's interest.

I am sure the Hospital don't like the stick and abuse they are getting but their primary interest is in the child's well being and the palliative care he needs.
                              I am sure your right Delboy, but whilst Alfie is there the hospital and it's staff will remain as Targets for the Abuse and threats .
                              According to his Father he is getting very little care ,in his opinion.Sad state of affairs ...Taffy
                              ​Taffy

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X