• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 most embarrassing cruise traditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 most embarrassing cruise traditions

5 most embarrassing cruise ship traditions, plus 10 bargain holidays you don't want to miss - Mirror Online

Accurate?

Do You agree?
    See my cruise blog: HERE

I think it's a lovely tradition that a new ship has a Godmother. I'm not sure that embarrassing is quite the right word, most of the list is harmless fun that some people really enjoy and others not so much .................................................. ............Carol

Comment

it is all good fun. To say in the artical that river crusies do the baekd alaska parade not true Princes still do this. The tipping part I do agree with it is confusing.

Comment

The (Great British) sail away party was one of the reasons we did not enjoy our P&O cruise, I accept others seem to enjoy it and that is the beauty of cruising, something for everyone, and rather than add a comment either here or the D day disaster thread I will leave it at that.

John

Comment

I was happy to see the end of baked Alaska parades and especially the napkin waving that went along with it.

Sail Away parties don't do anything for me and when we were docked next to a P&O ship it was embarrassing to see the flag waving and Rule Britannia singing in a foreign port. I know some people love them, but I guess it is a matter of taste.

Comment

Our sail away from Warnemunde on Queen Victoria couple of years ago was amazing. There was some form of event by the quayside with many, many people attending. Someone had distributed Union Flags to the people and as we moved off the organisers played "Time to say Goodbye" on their PA system and the people on the quayside waved their flags wildly.

It was very moving as we slowly moved down the channel accompanied by a fleet of some 20 or more small boats all blowing their whistles (is that the correct nautical term?).

Comment

Two memorable sailaways were: 1. On QV when we left Venice at 10:00pm and they played Pavarotti and handed out Italian treats. Fabulous! and 2. Another late evening sailaway, this time from Hamburg on QM2 when we had a full hour of fireworks as we plied our way along the Elbe. They reckoned there was over 250,000 spectators. Quite a few were even singing God Save the Queen. Amazing!

Stewart

Comment

And there was me thinking that the most embarrassing tradition was looking for the golden rivet. ......Neil

Comment

The most embarrassing tradition in my experience is the 'crossing the line' ceremony; either the Equator or the tropics.

As for all the others, I can take them or leave them.
                  Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger, Bromley View Post
                    i.. in the artical that river crusies do the baekd alaska parade not true Princes still do this.
                    Yes many ocean cruise lines still do it and I still like it!
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                      The most embarrassing tradition in my experience is the 'crossing the line' ceremony; either the Equator or the tropics.

As for all the others, I can take them or leave them.
                      That is a maritime tradition not so much a cruise tradition.

They are let off lightly compared to other MN vessels.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                        That is a maritime tradition not so much a cruise tradition.

They are let off lightly compared to other MN vessels.

Annie
                        Well I'm sure you must be correct Annie but Fred Olsen always have such ceremonies on the long haul cruises.
                        Jill

Comment

No problem with a ship having a godmother.

Really dislike the following; sail away parties, baked Alaska Parade, midnight buffet, crossing the line ceremonies. Even though we mainly cruise with P&O, we avoid ALL the above. No doubt, someone will now find a photo of us enjoying a sail away party, but, it was probably for the scenery leaving port, not the all singing all dancing, cringe making events that they lay on. You can't even avoid the noise, from some of the above events, on your balcony, which is where we usually avoid the sail away.

Comment

One of my bug bears is the great British past time of coming back home and whinging about it, but then the same people book the same ship / line / itinerary again! The amount I have spoken to "I've been on this ship x times and never enjoyed it..." Well bog off and don't come back. Mood hoovers I call them.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                              And there was me thinking that the most embarrassing tradition was looking for the golden rivet. ......Neil
                              Only embarrassing if you crawled all the way down the shaft tunnel only to find that it had been moved and hung from a sky hook,

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X