• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Malware Tech' - You are Hired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Malware Tech' - You are Hired

Hi All

A young 22 year old spent allegedly £6 and a couple of hours and stopped the cyber attack in its tracks.

We need to find this guy and hire him - JMO.

Annie

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Hi All

A young 22 year old spent allegedly £6 and a couple of hours and stopped the cyber attack in its tracks.

We need to find this guy and hire him - JMO.

Annie
    But they reckon another attack could be imminent, as early as Monday and far worse.

I also understand the 22 year old MalwareTech, who wants to remain anonymous, was hailed as an "accidental hero" after registering a domain name to track the spread of the virus, which actually ended up halting it.

Next cyber-attack could be imminent, warn experts - BBC News
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 14th May 2017, 08:43 AM.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
      But they reckon another attack could be imminent, as early as Monday and far worse.

I also understand the MalwareTech, who wants to remain anonymous, was hailed as an "accidental hero" after registering a domain name to track the spread of the virus, which actually ended up halting it.

Next cyber-attack could be imminent, warn experts - BBC News
      I know Delboy but we need guys like him - JMO - who can think outside of the box.

Annie

Comment

He was just doing what he does(he was not thinking out of the box on this one)

As part of his(there) job they(the company) track the spread of malware as research.

A code review saw the unregistered domain and registered it to see where the callbacks were coming from to track the spread.

a more detailed code review would have found it was a killswitch.

The reason this one was so successful it exploited a flaw in SMB(file sharing) one on the network.

The important thing will be to find the points of entry because AIUI systems will still be at risk even with the security patch(SMB) being talked about as that just stops the spread locally.

PS. would have stopped it sooner if he had not been out to lunch.
        Last edited by Topdeck, London; 14th May 2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          He was just doing what he does(he was not thinking out of the box on this one)

As part of his(there) job they(the company) track the spread of malware as research.

A code review saw the unregistered domain and registered it to see where the callbacks were coming from to track the spread.

a more detailed code review would have found it was a killswitch.

The reason this one was so successful it exploited a flaw in SMB(file sharing) one on the network.

The important thing will be to find the points of entry because AIUI systems will still be at risk even with the security patch(SMB) being talked about as that just stops the spread locally.

PS. would have stopped it sooner if he had not been out to lunch.
          Odd GCHQ didn't manage to stop it while he was out for lunch

Annie

Comment

https://www.malwaretech.com/2017/05/...r-attacks.html

Now one thing that’s important to note is the actual registration of the domain was not on a whim. My job is to look for ways we can track and potentially stop botnets (and other kinds of malware), so I’m always on the lookout to pick up unregistered malware control server (C2) domains. In fact I registered several thousand of such domains in the past year.

Comment

Breaking News on BBC on line news.

"Friday's cyber-attack has affected more than 200,000 victims in 150 countries, Europol chief Rob Wainwright says.
              Speaking to Britain's ITV, he said the world faced an escalating threat, and there was concern about the level of potential attacks on Monday morning.
              The virus took control of users' files, demanding payments; Russia and the UK were among the worst hit countries.
              Security experts have warned that another attack is imminent and could be unstoppable."
              Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Not sure if this was the same guy I heard of who spends most of his day surfing, not the net but in the sea! . .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                  Not sure if this was the same guy I heard of who spends most of his day surfing, not the net but in the sea! . .....Neil
                  That is my understanding but again I could be wrong again.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    That is my understanding but again I could be wrong again.

Annie
                    I wonder if he told those helped that he spends all his days "surfing" It really beggars belief but is a lovely switch on meanings.

Good luck to him anyway. ....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      I wonder if he told those helped that he spends all his days "surfing" It really beggars belief but is a lovely switch on meanings.

Good luck to him anyway. ....Neil
                      Revealed: The 22-year-old IT expert who saved the world from ransomware virus but lives for surfing

Annie

Comment

I like this from the link.

He added: "It is not a job to him, more a passion that he happens to get paid for."

Andrew Mabbitt, the co-founder of Fidus, described Mr Hutchins as "one of the most intelligent and talented people I know".

"He gets paid to do his hobby which is most people's dream in life," he added.

His social media accounts are peppered with tweets about his love of surfing and views of the waves along the coast. In one tweet, he wrote: "I could move to a city but where in a city would I get this view?"

Around a year ago, he joined a "private intel threat firm" based in Los Angeles. He later made a number of references to travelling to America, including admitting being "super worried" he was "too nerdy" for Las Vegas.
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

The wonderful thing about the internet is that you don't need to be in a city or even a town. Electricity and a good signal is all you need. Bliiiissssss. .....Neil

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X