• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family history

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liz, Harrogate
    started a topic Family history

Family history

Wondered if anyone had been researching their family history? It's a fascinating topic but very time consuming. The internet is a fantastic resource for it. I can go back to 1725 on my Irish side but not sure how to go further back than that.
    Liz

• History Addict, Alfreton
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith, Crayford View Post
    I'm retired too. How do those that are still working cope? Roll on Spring and hopefully we can all get out more.
    I wish I was retired! Unfortunately I work full time and after work I help my partner run his business. Hence the need for numerous cruises just to get us through the year...:D

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
    Smith - I share your dilemma entirely. So little time and so many things to do......
    I'm retired too. How do those that are still working cope? Roll on Spring and hopefully we can all get out more.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Smith - I share your dilemma entirely. So little time and so many things to do......

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Jo

You may be interested in the website below - you put in your surname and choose the year you want to look at and it produces a distribution map for the name in England and Wales. The older data is from the 1881 census but not so sure about the accuracy of the 1998 data. Still interesting, though.

National Trust Names
    Thanks for that. I was busy researching my Family Tree this time last year. My OH complained that I was always on the computer. I reached the point where I would have to travel to London to look up parish records when I changed tack and got into research for our then, forthcoming cruise. I haven't changed tack yet but just clicked on the link above. It's whetted my appetite again but there are only so many hours in a day. I'm now so hooked on this site and to cruising of course-oh what a dilemma!

Leave a comment:

• Seacoasters, Hampshire
    replied
    Jo

You may be interested in the website below - you put in your surname and choose the year you want to look at and it produces a distribution map for the name in England and Wales. The older data is from the 1881 census but not so sure about the accuracy of the 1998 data. Still interesting, though.

National Trust Names
    Wow, what an interesting site, in 1881 there were many of 'us' in Falkirk, we come from Hampshire, now I understand why our daughter has such an affinity with the 'Scots' and now is married to one. considering our name is German, I wonder why they chose Scotland? not exactly on the doorstep!

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Yes, I once read an article by an Edinburgh professor who mentioned that the red head gene was strong.....and should have died out due to skin cancer! It's the only colour that can be traced by DNA (keep off the crime, then!)
    We are very prone to skin cancer in our family.
    Jo.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Walker, Seascale View Post
    That's BRILLIANT! A whole swathe of us across the Highlands. Wonder if they're all plump red-heads!
    Thanks....Jo.
    It looks as though the Highland genes are strong, then!

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Jo

National Trust Names
    That's BRILLIANT! A whole swathe of us across the Highlands. Wonder if they're all plump red-heads!
    Thanks....Jo.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Jo

National Trust Names

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    I'm interested in the genetic side....every family in my line ends up with one plump, blue eyed ginger haired baby (me!), even if both parents are dark with brown eyes. All the other babies take after their parents. We've traced that we come from Rannoch Moor in Scotland.
    We saw someone on TV with my maiden name, and what was striking was not just that he looked like my grandad and his sons, but that his facial expressions were identical, down to the puzzled wrinkles. I'd love to take it further.
    Jo.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I will try to trace my family tree one day, I am sure it must be really interesting to do.

Tracing your family tree is addictive. You dig up such interesting facts and stories. It is much more about ordinary people as being related to aristocracy or some significant historical character.

In my own history I have learnt loads about how people moved around the country - my family moved into Darlington from a country village in the early 1830s to work on the railways and were amongst the first railway employees. I also have an ancestor who was abandoned as a baby at the church and who was consequently given the surname Moses which still runs in a branch of the family. Then there was the great uncle who was murdered in Shanghai......

I'd recommend it to anyone. I've had some lovely chats with people comparing notes in record offices about where their research has taken them. A very rewarding hobby.

Leave a comment:

• wee annie, Huddersfield
    replied
    I have not traced my family tree as such but I do know I am a direct descendant of "The Black Douglas". He was Sir James Douglas and was the right hand man of Robert The Bruce. This line is from my Dad's side of the family. My Mum used to tell me stories about how the Black Douglas had a curse put on him and anyone bearing his name! It was also customary for the family for have Douglas in their name - even the females have it as a middle name. I am glad to say I broke that tradition after hearing all the horror stories about tragic young deaths etc. I have two boys and not a "Douglas" in sight. There are so many horrible stories - it does make you wonder if it is all just a coincidence. The most recent, that I know of was my darling wee brother (middle name Douglas) who died a horrible death from cancer at only 43 years of age, two years ago. As I say possibly coincidence but I was not willing to take the chance! I will try to trace my family tree one day, I am sure it must be really interesting to do.

Leave a comment:

• Liz, Harrogate
    replied
    Very interesting replies. It's compulsive isn't it? You find out one thing and then it leads on to many more.

As a result of my great grandmother moving to Toronto in 1912 I've found records of her voyages back and forth to Belfast until she died in 1928 and also my great uncle's trans Atlantic trips.

The internet is just great because there are so many records on line, censuses, war records, Freemasonry, just wish I had more time!

Very interested in the DNA aspect, did look into it once but it was very expensive and at that time it only went through the mother's side of the family, might look into that again.
    Liz
    x

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied
    It is such an interesting exercise. So far I have done it all through county archives, the Society for Geneology and the National Archive at Kew. Luckily my family has always hoarded paperwork too so I got back to the mid 19th century before I even had to leave the house!

I haven't touched the research for a few years now but I keep meaning to sign up to one of these on-line sources and have another fresh look at it.
    I too have researched the family history, History Addict has it spot on with regard to methods. People seem to think that they just sit at their PC and find everything they need. I spent hours searching the BMD index's, parish records, and cross referencing and speaking to older relatives. Every little area gleaned its own little resource.
    I also haven't touched mine for years, there is a limit to how far you can go back unless you are extremely lucky with parish records.
    I ended up building a website after finding many other people with the same surname interested in their own particular branch but have sadly let it fall into neglect.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X