• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A FlyShip??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A FlyShip??

    Is this a future for shipping ,and the answer to crowded Airports.
    £26m FlyShip can carry 100 passengers while soaring at speeds of 155mph | Daily Mail Online










    With a top speed of 150MPH it should have a future in some parts of the world where ferry's are now being used.
    Would you fancy trying one..Taffy
    ​Taffy

    #2
    Hi Taffy
    No different from the old Short Sunderland flying boat from yesteryear...just poshed up a bit.
    Regards
    Garfield
    Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 27th January 2016, 08:58 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
      Hi Taffy
      No different from the old Short Sunderland flying boat from yesteryear...just poshed up a bit.
      Regards
      Garfield
      Quite a lot different to a poshed up Sunderland Garf as it does not climb to any altitude.

      It 'sits' a few feet above the water in what's known as ground effect on a cushion of air, much like the hovercraft principle.

      The major problem with this concept, like the hovercraft it requires calm/flat seas or better still, lake like conditions.............Wilba

      The Russians have played with this concept for years and have now abandoned it..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nu94khHoo
      Last edited by Wilba; 27th January 2016, 09:11 AM.
      Wilba

      Comment


        #4
        I was just thinking, Wilba, that at 155mph an errant wave could be pretty unpleasant / catastrophic!
        Duncan S

        See my blog!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Wilba View Post
          Quite a lot different to a poshed up Sunderland Garf as it does not climb to any altitude.

          It 'sits' a few feet above the water in what's known as ground effect on a cushion of air, much like the hovercraft principle.

          The major problem with this concept, like the hovercraft it requires calm/flat seas or better still, lake like conditions.............Wilba

          The Russians have played with this concept for years and have now abandoned it..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nu94khHoo
          Hi Wilba
          Not for me either way..I'll just stick with my underwater railways..
          https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=un...L2s2_L_BUPM%3A
          Regards
          Garfield

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
            I was just thinking, Wilba, that at 155mph an errant wave could be pretty unpleasant / catastrophic!
            That's one of the main limitations of this kind of craft. The sea conditions.........Wilba
            Wilba

            Comment


              #7
              Even the hydrofoils don't operate from the Channel Islands in heavy seas!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                The Russians have played with this concept for years and have now abandoned it..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nu94khHoo
                Yes Wilda! The Russian Ekranoplan - I want to travel in one.

                They don't 'fly' as such in the normal way, they use ground-effect which is more efficient.
                See my cruise blog: HERE

                Comment


                  #9
                  Not for me thanks, just trying to imagine it in rough seas! Nor is Garfields underwater trains, worst possible thought for someone who is claustrophobic!!
                  Lizzie sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The distance, direct, from Southampton to Miami is approx 4,500 miles. At 150 mph it going to take 30 hours with a refueling station, well let’s say, quite often.

                    Do you still consider this to be practical? ……Neil

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      The distance, direct, from Southampton to Miami is approx 4,500 miles. At 150 mph it going to take 30 hours with a refueling station, well let’s say, quite often.

                      Do you still consider this to be practical? ……Neil
                      I think have distances like Liverpool to Bristol. in mind not transatlantic...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                        I was just thinking, Wilba, that at 155mph an errant wave could be pretty unpleasant / catastrophic!
                        It would seem very fast being so close to the water.I would think it unlikely to sail in bad weather ...Taffy
                        ​Taffy

                        Comment


                        We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.


                        By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

                        Working...
                        X