• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Birthday Number One.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Your Birthday Number One.

    What was top of the Pops on the day you were born? Just a bit of fun.

    Go to the website playback.fm/birthday-song and enter your dob.

    Top of the Hit Parade when I was born was Bing Crosby...............HT

    #2
    Hi HT

    Mine's (Ghost) Riders in the Sky by Vaughn Munroe and his Orchestra. 'Takes me back a depressingly long time!

    Jenny

    Comment


      #3
      Mine was "I'll Never Smile Again" by Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra starring The Pied Pipers and Frank Sinatra.

      Don't think though they had a Top Of The Pops during the Second World War.
      Delboy


      Photo Albums

      https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

      or

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
        What was top of the Pops on the day you were born? Just a bit of fun.

        Go to the website playback.fm/birthday-song and enter your dob.

        Top of the Hit Parade when I was born was Bing Crosby...............HT
        Hi HT, fun and interesting! Mine was Blue Baron and his Orchestra ( Never heard of him/them) with 'Cruising down the river'. Maybe explains why I love messing about on boats, be it a rowing boat, sailing yacht, cabin cruiser or ocean liner!

        My husband 'Sing, sing, sing with a swing' Benny Goodman. He is a swing and real jazz nut, as I said, interesting!
        Lizzie sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Near You by Francis Craig and his Orchestra. Heard of them? Neither have I.

          Comment


            #6
            Mine was 'Mona Lisa' by Nat king Cole which is pretty apt 'cos I haven't stopped moaning since.

            Bit disconcerting that there is also an option to find which song you were conceived to!..now that really is too much information.....carol

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
              Mine was 'Mona Lisa' by Nat king Cole which is pretty apt 'cos I haven't stopped moaning since.

              Bit disconcerting that there is also an option to find which song you were conceived to!..now that really is too much information.....carol

              I must admit Carol I didn't look at the second option ...............HT

              Comment


                #8
                .
                I think it's based on what was No 1 in the US charts as the UK hit parade (based on record sales) didn't started until near the end of 1952. Before then it was based on sheet music sales. My cousin Babs had a wind up gramophone with only one record, Zambezi, by Lou Busch and his Orchestra. Can't remember what was on the flip side though.

                Cheers OSD
                Our cruising days are over now.................

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                  .
                  I think it's based on what was No 1 in the US charts as the UK hit parade (based on record sales) didn't started until near the end of 1952. Before then it was based on sheet music sales. My cousin Babs had a wind up gramophone with only one record, Zambezi, by Lou Busch and his Orchestra. Can't remember what was on the flip side though.

                  Cheers OSD
                  Thanks HT

                  Definitely US charts

                  My singer/song is Why Don't You Believe Me? By Joni James. The song was written by Dean Martin.

                  When I recall family events, no-one believes me. They can't prove me wrong. One sister especially becomes annoyed that I remember so much detail

                  I am going to have some fun with this

                  Annie

                  Comment


                    #10
                    This is a US-based chart. I've never heard of the song at #1 when I was born on THAT chart (Heart - Alone) but I DO know the UK #1 when I was born, which is It's a Sin by The Pet Shop Boys.

                    You can check the UK chart easily enough on Wikipedia. Just go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rt_number_ones and click on the decade, then year of your birth. It lists them all so just work it out from there!
                    Duncan S

                    See my blog!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The Old Lamp-Lighter by Sammy Kaye and His Orchestra............Geez! I now feel older than ever.............Wilba
                      Wilba

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                        This is a US-based chart. I've never heard of the song at #1 when I was born on THAT chart (Heart - Alone) but I DO know the UK #1 when I was born, which is It's a Sin by The Pet Shop Boys.

                        You can check the UK chart easily enough on Wikipedia. Just go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rt_number_ones and click on the decade, then year of your birth. It lists them all so just work it out from there!
                        Hi Duncan

                        Try welcome to onlineweb.com it lists sheet music and record sales.

                        BTW OSD - bang on the money ; 1st UK chart 14 Nov 1952

                        Annie

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Elvis Presley's Heartbreak Hotel for me ... I'm rather pleased as I've always loved that song

                          Cheers,
                          Lynn

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Mine was Oh My Papa by Eddie Fisher, funnily it's a song and tune I have always liked. I believe there was an instrumental on the Trumpet by Eddie Calvert.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              .
                              I'm not saying I'm getting on but when I was born Greensleeves was very popular.

                              Cheers OSD
                              Our cruising days are over now.................

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X