• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 Days of a Virtual Balcony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    Is there any other functionality to the screen ie does it double up as a very large telly?

I think its really novel though.
    No additional functionality whatsoever. In an interview about these Richard Fain said that adding anything else would shatter any illusion and ruin the effect. It has to be 100% webcam, 100% of the time.

Comment

I think it a great idea, why not have a nice bright image instead of a blank wall. I can't see any downside to having this in the cabin and beats watching the action on a small television..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
        You would think that it is possible to design a ship with all outside cabins. Even a big ship.

The public rooms, in some case, could be internal.
        Silversea ships have all outside cabins.

Comment

I think it's a great idea and would happily book a cabin with a virtual balcony though saying that, we haven't cruised with RCL as yet. Don't mind inside cabins and I always look at the webcam channel on the TV as a mini sea view anyway
          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

a gimmick, a balcony is not only the view, It is access to fresh air to help prevent dry throat / cough etc from dry air con, also the ambiance of sitting out on the balcony watching the world go by and the breeze. watching on a large digital screen for us would not be the same.

only good point no worries of getting a chain smoking cigar user next cabin and all his smoke blowing in, had this once on the Oriana and staff could do nothing about it really spoilt our balcony.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              You would think that it is possible to design a ship with all outside cabins. Even a big ship.

The public rooms, in some case, could be internal.
              I miss the 'old fashioned' ships that had most public rooms with lovely large windows. I'm not at all keen on having lounges or bars being internal. We often have breakfast and lunch in the MDR and choose a table next to a window.

Comment

Very clever! I certainly would like that, not only seeing what the weather is like but also creating light & an illusion of space. Much better than a telly!

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                  Don't mind insides, as has been said often before, prefer more cruises to having a bigger cabin and am never in the cabin anyhow. The virtual balcony may make the room feel bigger and be a novelty for a week or so but then that is probably it. As for needing to open the balcony to see what the weather is like, luckily I can see the webcam and understand weather reports.
                  Can't see that the virtual balcony is anything more than a larger version of the webcam.
                  Right back at ya Andy haha lol but my comment stems more from the fresh air point of view. We live in the country spend little time indoors and if say for example deck access was banned due to weather I would go stir crazy if I couldn't stick my head out for a quick gasp of fresh air. I love to sit on my balcony first thing in the morning when all the others are still asleep. I'd get told off for making too much noise if I got dressed to go out the cabin and up on deck. I'd feel claustrophobic in an inside. Wish I could cope with them as I could then afford more cruises.

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                    a gimmick, a balcony is not only the view, It is access to fresh air to help prevent dry throat / cough etc from dry air con, also the ambiance of sitting out on the balcony watching the world go by and the breeze. watching on a large digital screen for us would not be the same.

only good point no worries of getting a chain smoking cigar user next cabin and all his smoke blowing in, had this once on the Oriana and staff could do nothing about it really spoilt our balcony.
                    This is what I was trying to say,

Comment

hawkinsmg

we moved from an area with heavy air pollution [staines] to the south coast rural area and you notice the fresh air, could not go back to living in heavy air pollution, but you do not notice the difference till you move away.

the view has to be the real thing not a digital image.

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                        hawkinsmg

we moved from an area with heavy air pollution [staines] to the south coast rural area and you notice the fresh air, could not go back to living in heavy air pollution, but you do not notice the difference till you move away.

the view has to be the real thing not a digital image.
                        Absolutely agree. I think it's a clever idea but it just wouldn't do it for us.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X