• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 Days of a Virtual Balcony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 Days of a Virtual Balcony

8 days of Virtual Balcony Views on Quantum of the Seas | Royal Caribbean Blog

Innovation or gimmick?
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 13th February 2015, 11:04 AM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Why not just switch on the TV and watch the bridge cam? I'll stick to my ocean view or balcony.

Comment

Looks brilliant and why not? Surely anything that enhances the cruise experience can only be good.
      But I would be a bit worried about getting changed in front of it with this weeks news about BB watching and listening to you...
      Thank goodness for the curtains...
      Regards
      Garfield

Comment

I have always felt that ocean view cabins are a waste of money.

In port they are little above dockside level, so looking at cranes and fork lift trucks don't excite me one little bit, so I would welcome a 'virtual picture' at balcony level.............If the price was right............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

Other than trying it out as an experience ,it has no appeal at all,along with the robotic barman...Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

It looks better than i imagined,gives a feeling of more space and better than seeing a blank wall! Jan.

Comment

I think this is a nice addition for those who either choose to travel in an inside cabin to save money, or for those who cannot afford anything else. The biggest downside to the inside cabin as far as I was concerned was the lack of natural light and the inability to see if we'd left port or exactly what was happening outside.

I can't imagine it would entice anyone to an inside cabin who typically book a higher grade. I'd love to see one, and might be persuaded to book a very short cruise (a few days) in an inside just for that opportunity. Beyond that, I'll stick to a balcony.
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

It's clever but I'm still not interested. I need to be able to open my balcony door for fresh air in a morning and to feel what the temperature is like if getting off early.

Comment

You would think that it is possible to design a ship with all outside cabins. Even a big ship.

The public rooms, in some case, could be internal.
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    You would think that it is possible to design a ship with all outside cabins. Even a big ship.

Yes, maybe the MDR could be internal, after all they are only usually open in the evening when its dark and they close the curtains anyway.

Comment

A great innovation. If I was ever tempted on a large ship again I would happily choose the virtual balcony over an Ocean view cabin. I don't care for a balcony as you can't leave the door open and that would be my only reason for having a balcony. I was once walking past cabins where the door to some balconies were open and a gale was blowing through to the passageway. When a steward opened the door to one such cabin papers and light clothing came hurtling through the door into the passage way.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

I much prefer it when public rooms have full length windows so would accept an inside cabin if necessary - but prefer an Ocean view!

Comment

Don't mind insides, as has been said often before, prefer more cruises to having a bigger cabin and am never in the cabin anyhow. The virtual balcony may make the room feel bigger and be a novelty for a week or so but then that is probably it. As for needing to open the balcony to see what the weather is like, luckily I can see the webcam and understand weather reports.
                          Can't see that the virtual balcony is anything more than a larger version of the webcam.

Comment

I think it's a great innovation.

It would be the only facility to tempt me away from a balcony cabin to an inside cabin. Then again - maybe not.

H

Comment

Is there any other functionality to the screen ie does it double up as a very large telly?

I think its really novel though.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X