• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you fit at Dash Cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you fit at Dash Cam

Sorry if links to the Mail Offend you but.
    Will YOU be the next victim of this phantom car crash madness? A cautionary tale for every driver from MELISSA KITE* | Daily Mail Online

This is the sorry tale of one woman's 3 year fight over a car accident.
    From the Comments below the article it is getting quite common for people to fit front and rear Dash cams ,which turn on and off with the ignition.I am thinking of doing the same ,apparently lots of commercial vehicles now have them to avoid,cash for cash claims.
    Have you got them fitted ,would you get them fitted ...Taffy
    ​Taffy

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
    Sorry if links to the Mail Offend you but.
    Will YOU be the next victim of this phantom car crash madness? A cautionary tale for every driver from MELISSA KITE* | Daily Mail Online

This is the sorry tale of one woman's 3 year fight over a car accident.
    From the Comments below the article it is getting quite common for people to fit front and rear Dash cams ,which turn on and off with the ignition.I am thinking of doing the same ,apparently lots of commercial vehicles now have them to avoid,cash for cash claims.
    Have you got them fitted ,would you get them fitted ...Taffy
    It's a scandal, Taffy.

My daughter's friend is in the middle of a series of legal cases based around a bump she had in central London 2 years ago. The family in the car she bumped all claimed serious injuries, despite the impact being minor.

It's all dragged on because of a corrupt doctor and other things (including the names of the children in the car changing twice) but her record has been ruined, and she has been personally sued (by another family member of the driver who happens to be a lawyer) to try to put pressure on her to capitulate.

It's a mess, and costing us all hugely in increased premiums, though I'm just not sure what good the cameras would do? The claims seem to come even though damage is agreed to be minimal.

Comment

Max that is truly awful! The stress must be immense.

Taffy yes it is something we have considered but not felt we need were we live. However reading this makes me think again.

Comment

We were in central London years ago. On pulling away from traffic light my husband had to brake as an ambulance came from the left of the junction right across our path with sirens and lights. The car behind us didn't brake in time and hit us. We were driving a Nissan patrol them a little sports car so we didn't have a scratch but the little older couple in the sports car had a tow hitch size hole in their number plate. They were apologetic and fine. However when my husband got out the car to go and investigate my immediate reaction was to lock the doors! I didn't even give him a thought just me and the kids lol I've never lived it down.
        Sorry slight detour from the thread but made me remember

Comment

Once again,Here is the claim culture at its best(or worst that should be) I work for the biggest taxi firm in the city,and believe me one of our owners has 6 cars in the fleet,all of them have 2 drivers,night/day shift,so of course they clock up some miles in a year,one driver had 2 bumps,not serious,but all passengers claimed for all sorts of injuries,His premium for all his cars was quoted for the next year is....£24,000 !!! He has 4 of them up for sale now as he cannot keep up with the costs. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
            It's a scandal, Taffy.

My daughter's friend is in the middle of a series of legal cases based around a bump she had in central London 2 years ago. The family in the car she bumped all claimed serious injuries, despite the impact being minor.

It's all dragged on because of a corrupt doctor and other things (including the names of the children in the car changing twice) but her record has been ruined, and she has been personally sued (by another family member of the driver who happens to be a lawyer) to try to put pressure on her to capitulate.

It's a mess, and costing us all hugely in increased premiums, though I'm just not sure what good the cameras would do? The claims seem to come even though damage is agreed to be minimal.
            My Daughter had a similar thing happen to her,a slow speed bump .they exchanges details and she later got a phone call from the woman's husband,demanding £1600 cash to repair the non existent damage,which he dropped to £1200 when he was told to go through the insurance companies.They later found they all had whiplash??
            I think the Cameras can record your speed ,and if someone hits you and then claims that you ran into them you have some prove...Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

i have thought about installing a dash cam. But I am unsure of the costs. And does the camera delete old film to make way for the new films, or do you have to do that manually?

Comment

The camera records digitally and stores the memory for a specific time period, hours not days, and then deletes/records over the old memory. If you have an accident you can save the recording for evidence. In practice you would need 2 cameras, ie front & rear view.

Comment

This all sounds horrendous. How much does a Dash Cam cost?

Comment

I installed a Blackvue system in the front. Got it professionally fitted - lovely job. No wires showing at all. It's a ~WiFi system and picture quality good. I fitted a 64gb card which holds a massive amount of data. It wraps rounds and overwrites - no need to clear out every so often.

I fitted a rear camera some time later. Bought a cheap one from Amazon and fitted it myself. Minimal wiring required - plugged into a rear socket in the boot.

Both cameras start and stop with the ignition.

Never had the need to call on them but I know I've got evidence if needed.

Comment

Many years ago in 80's had a slight knock of bumpers, Exchanged names etc then just short of three years later out of the blue had papers served on me for whiplash. I contacted the old insurance I had at the time only to find they had since gone bust, so had to contact their receiver. I said happy to go to court to fight the claim. I chashed them up a few months later for an update only to find they gave her ten grand as it was not worth contesting.

Comment

Not helped by the cold calling asking if you or anyone you know has had an accident in the last few years. They get a yes and the the ambulance chasing no win no fee laywers are on the case.

Comment

I've considered these before. It's useful if you have someone who emergency brakes for no reason, or there's an accident that you manage to capture that can prove your innocence.

They're not particularly expensive (a fantastic system costs a couple of hundred pounds) and will automatically overwrite data until you need to save something, then you use the software to pull the data off the device. They have GPS data to record location, speed, g-forces etc.

My biggest issues is that I had wires in my car, and these aftermarket solutions need to be plugged into the cigarette lighter. I bought a car with built-in bluetooth, sat-nav, and everything else so I need no wires or cables at all. I'm not about to ruin it now! I hope it's only a matter of time before car manufacturers start building them in.

Incidentally in Russia the rates of insurance fraud of various types are so common that almost everyone seems to have a dash cam. The videos are common on YouTube etc.
                          Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                            I've considered these before. It's useful if you have someone who emergency brakes for no reason, or there's an accident that you manage to capture that can prove your innocence.

They're not particularly expensive (a fantastic system costs a couple of hundred pounds) and will automatically overwrite data until you need to save something, then you use the software to pull the data off the device. They have GPS data to record location, speed, g-forces etc.

My biggest issues is that I had wires in my car, and these aftermarket solutions need to be plugged into the cigarette lighter. I bought a car with built-in bluetooth, sat-nav, and everything else so I need no wires or cables at all. I'm not about to ruin it now! I hope it's only a matter of time before car manufacturers start building them in.

Incidentally in Russia the rates of insurance fraud of various types are so common that almost everyone seems to have a dash cam. The videos are common on YouTube etc.
                            If you get it professionally fitted there's no visible wires. My Blackvue camera was fully fitted for just over £100. Very discrete behind the internal mirror and hard wired. The chap came to my house to fit it - an approved Blackvue fitter. The system is WiFi'd so no need to take the memory card out - just download it to a laptop/phone etc. in situ.

The rear one I fitted myself as there was not the same need for a cable free look. (The rear windows all have privacy glass so you don't see it at all.) The camera was only £80 or so and plugs into a cigarette lighter socket in the boot. It's actually a very good system for a fraction of the price of a Blackvue system. Not wiFi'd - need to remove card and plug into a PC. A minor point. In fact, only done it once to check it was working OK. Both systems bleep on start-up so one assumes they're working.

Both systems show speed, location, time, etc.

Comment

Following a head on collision with a van, the driver of which drove straight into us without slowing at all whilst gazing out of his drivers window. We now have an in car camera - a Which? Best buy at £149.00 or so. We are still fighting to get compensation 10 months on.

I have every sympathy with those who are having fraudulent claims made against them - unless you have actually experienced such an event you cannot imagine the emotional damage and trauma that it causes let alone the financial and time loss. Similarly anyone who has come up against a person with querulent (or vexatious) behaviour as many hospitals, doctors and educational establishments etc will confirm.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X