• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little advice please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A little advice please.

    This is aimed towards Annie and all the other Glasgow based members,Hubby just surprised me with a wee little weekend away in...you,ve guessed it.Glasgow!! Neither of us have been before,so,considering we really have only 1 full day,what should be at the top of our list,A little bit of culture AND shopping please! Thanks in advance, Jan.

    #2
    You'll be spoiled for choice when it comes to shopping in Glasgow, which is worth the trip even for people based in Edinburgh. The main shopping centre and main shopping street (Buchanan Street, Buchanan Galleries) won't disappoint for a wide range of shops. For something up-market there's the beautiful Princes Square shopping centre (also on Buchanan Street) and for jewellery a browse in the Argyle Arcade is recommended (also on Buchanan Street, just down from Princes Square).

    You also won't find culture lacking, though I'm less experienced in this are for Glasgow so Annie might highlight the hot spots.
    Duncan S

    See my blog!

    Comment


      #3
      Hi Jan

      When?? For Shopping, there is Buchanan Galleries and the Merchant City.

      Burrell Collection in its own museum located in Pollok Park is always worth a visit - a lot of Degas. There is a major Alasdair Gray exhibition at Kelvingrove which also houses the famous Salvador Dali.

      Here is a link:

      Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

      Annie

      PS where is your hotel located?? Glasgow's West End is very walkable from the City Centre. West End has some very good restaurants esp Indian and I enjoy wandering around the shops there.
      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th November 2014, 02:17 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Duncan and Annie,we are in The Premier Inn located in St Georges Square,which Denis was told is near to the station,Think we will try Kelvingrove Museum,and looking forward to the shops,Xmas here i come! Ha ha. Jan. PS, Indian is my favorite food,so will seek out one with a couple of beers! Jan.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
          Thanks Duncan and Annie,we are in The Premier Inn located in St Georges Square,which Denis was told is near to the station,Think we will try Kelvingrove Museum,and looking forward to the shops,Xmas here i come! Ha ha. Jan. PS, Indian is my favorite food,so will seek out one with a couple of beers! Jan.
          OK from your hotel take the Glasgow Subway from Buchanan Street to Kelvin Hall for the museum. There are signposts to the museum from the subway station.

          Across from the Museum is the highly rated Mother India Café and here is a link:

          Mother India Cafe, Indian Restaurants Glasgow, Best Indian Tapas Restaurant

          Annie

          Comment


            #6
            Willow tearooms, on Sauchiehall Street is fabulous. Designed by Charles Rennie Macintosh in 1904 it is well worth a visit...Carol

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks again Annie,Its nice to have some sort of plan,rather than walking round like a (lost) tourist,ha ha. The Indian Restaurant looks good,Thanks again,I will let you know on Monday what we did! Jan.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                This is aimed towards Annie and all the other Glasgow based members,Hubby just surprised me with a wee little weekend away in...you,ve guessed it.Glasgow!! Neither of us have been before,so,considering we really have only 1 full day,what should be at the top of our list,A little bit of culture AND shopping please! Thanks in advance, Jan.
                Welcome in advance to my city!

                As has been stated, both Kelvingrove Museum & Art Gallery (Hubby will spend ages staring at the Spitfire) and the Burrell Collection are well worth a visit.

                Hubby will also appreciate the new Transport Museum which is a 15 minute walk from Kelvingrove. Some amazing ship exhibits. There's also an old Glasgow street with shops and a Subway Station.

                In Queen Street, you might be lucky enough to see the Duke of Wellington wearing a traffic cone.

                Have a glass (or two) of fizz in the Grand Central Hotel. This is where the rich and famous stayed, inc JFK, Churchill & Roy Rogers WITH Trigger in the same room. Marvel at one of the biggest chandeliers you've ever seen, in the stairwell.

                Like Italian food? Book La Lanterna on the web and get a free prosecco on arrival. Glasgow's oldest Italian restaurant and still owned by the same family. It's in Hope Street beside the Central Stn.

                Check out the HOHO buses as some will pass most of the places you want to see and you'll save on taxis if it's raining.

                Shops? I'm afraid that's not my department, so I cannot offer any advice there, except to say that Hubby might want to visit Slater's Menswear, near St Enoch's Shopping Ctr. In the Guinness Book of Records as it has the most number of gents suits on sale anywhere in the world, and at great prices, shoes too!

                Come to think of it, I reckon you'll need a couple of extra days!

                Have fun!!!!

                Stewart

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                  Thanks again Annie,Its nice to have some sort of plan,rather than walking round like a (lost) tourist,ha ha. The Indian Restaurant looks good,Thanks again,I will let you know on Monday what we did! Jan.
                  The Glasgow Subway is known locally as the Clockwork Orange Compared to London Underground it is very limited in its service area but as you are staying in the City Centre and travelling to the West End it works well. My suggestion is to buy a day ticket and forget the buses.

                  Enjoy and I hope the weather is kind.

                  Annie

                  PS Link to Subway
                  Subway | SPT

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I'm a big Charles Rennie Mackintosh fan so apart from Willow tea rooms there are lots of different sites here's a link to the top ten:- Top Ten Charles Rennie Mackintosh | Visit Glasgow although the Glasgow School of Art isn't open due to the devastating fire earlier this year. There is also the People's Palace People's Palace and Winter Gardens
                    Cheers Drew and Linda

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hi Jan
                      If you venture to the west end do try to visit Ashton Lane which is off Byres Road, it is full of nice restaurants and pubs catering for various tastes( please excuse the pun).
                      I hope you enjoy your trip to Glasgow it has a lot to offer.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Happy Cruiser, Houston,Renfrewshire View Post
                        Hi Jan
                        If you venture to the west end do try to visit Ashton Lane which is off Byres Road, it is full of nice restaurants and pubs catering for various tastes( please excuse the pun).
                        I hope you enjoy your trip to Glasgow it has a lot to offer.
                        Nearest Subway station to Ashton Lane is Hillhead which is one stop along from Kelvin Hall. Indian restaurants can be found in that vicinity as well.

                        The most famous restaurant in Ashton Lane is probably:

                        http://www.ubiquitouschip.co.uk/

                        There are at least 2 Indian restaurants in the lane - the Ashoka and the Wee Curry Shop. Plenty of choice

                        Annie
                        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th November 2014, 07:18 PM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Happy Cruiser, Houston,Renfrewshire View Post
                          Hi Jan
                          If you venture to the west end do try to visit Ashton Lane which is off Byres Road, it is full of nice restaurants and pubs catering for various tastes( please excuse the pun).
                          I hope you enjoy your trip to Glasgow it has a lot to offer.
                          Quite agree re Ashton Lane it is jumping most nights especially weekends. Lots of great Indian restaurants in that area. My favourite is Balbirs in Church St. You can have a banquet with lots of mini dishes for about £17.why not stay over until Tuesday and enjoy seeing Scotland beat England in the football????

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                            This is aimed towards Annie and all the other Glasgow based members,Hubby just surprised me with a wee little weekend away in...you,ve guessed it.Glasgow!! Neither of us have been before,so,considering we really have only 1 full day,what should be at the top of our list,A little bit of culture AND shopping please! Thanks in advance, Jan.
                            What a lovely surprise Jan. Glasgow city centre is quite compact with great bus, train and underground links.

                            Shopping...........princess square/Buchanan street if you like designer shopping.http://www.princessquare.co.uk

                            Argyle arcade for jewellery shops. http://www.argyll-arcade.com

                            More shopping....http://www.buchanangalleries.co.uk

                            And some more shopping......First for Shopping in Glasgow, Scotland - St. Enoch

                            All these shopping areas are all within 5-10 walk of each other.

                            Your hotel is near queen street train station and a few mins walk to Buchanan St bus station. Buchanan street underground is 5 min walk from your hotel which will take you to Kelvengrove art gallery and museum and the wonderful west end.mthe west end has quirky shops and great restaurants.

                            Most of our art gallery's and museums are free but where do I start? People's palace, kelvengrove art gallery and museum, Scotland street school museum, transport museum, police museum to name but a few. Here's another link

                            http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/Pages/home.aspx

                            Do you know that we are the only city in Europe to have two Cathedrals?


                            http://www.glasgowcathedral.org.uk

                            http://www.cathedralg1.org

                            We are also the number one city for not only Indian restaurants but you name it we have it.

                            http://www.merchantcityglasgow.com/location/id/368

                            http://www.merchantcityglasgow.com/l...-do-brasil/239 great place for a cheap lunch

                            http://www.merchantcityglasgow.com/l...the-square/101. Great Scottish food.

                            http://www.merchantcityglasgow.com/l...es-italian/269. Food is a hit or a miss.

                            http://www.merchantcityglasgow.com/l...nthian-club/43

                            These are just a small selection all within 1-10 walk from your hotel.

                            Hope this helps Jan. Anymore questions just ask. Have a great weekend in my wonderful city.
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
                              Welcome in advance to my city!

                              As has been stated, both Kelvingrove Museum & Art Gallery (Hubby will spend ages staring at the Spitfire) and the Burrell Collection are well worth a visit.

                              Hubby will also appreciate the new Transport Museum which is a 15 minute walk from Kelvingrove. Some amazing ship exhibits. There's also an old Glasgow street with shops and a Subway Station.

                              In Queen Street, you might be lucky enough to see the Duke of Wellington wearing a traffic cone.

                              Have a glass (or two) of fizz in the Grand Central Hotel. This is where the rich and famous stayed, inc JFK, Churchill & Roy Rogers WITH Trigger in the same room. Marvel at one of the biggest chandeliers you've ever seen, in the stairwell.

                              Like Italian food? Book La Lanterna on the web and get a free prosecco on arrival. Glasgow's oldest Italian restaurant and still owned by the same family. It's in Hope Street beside the Central Stn.

                              Check out the HOHO buses as some will pass most of the places you want to see and you'll save on taxis if it's raining.

                              Shops? I'm afraid that's not my department, so I cannot offer any advice there, except to say that Hubby might want to visit Slater's Menswear, near St Enoch's Shopping Ctr. In the Guinness Book of Records as it has the most number of gents suits on sale anywhere in the world, and at great prices, shoes too!

                              Come to think of it, I reckon you'll need a couple of extra days!

                              Have fun!!!!

                              Stewart
                              I love La Lanterna
                              La Lanterna - Best Italian Restaurant in Scotland

                              And Pulcinella restaurant
                              Pulcinella Restaurant

                              Jan if you love Italian you will love these two restaurants.
                              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X