• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your cruise and the internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your cruise and the internet

Do you avoid it as your on holiday? Do you miss it?

Are you strictly free wi-fi cafe's ashore or do you use the ships wi-fi?

never met anyone using the ships internet computers, have you used them?

what device do you use for the net? smartphone, laptop, netbook, ipad/tablet?

just after peoples views to see how we differ.

we use mainly wifi ashore unless doing a blog then its the ships internet. Only done this once on a ship it was very up and down, we use a smartphone and a netbook, but next cruise our netbook will be replaced with out laptop. What do we surf? well its emails, google news, weather, and a couple of forums.

At all times i use my own laptop, i do not like to use a public laptop or pc. I hope this way it keeps me and my data safe, and i enjoy my quality time knowing this.

Comment

deverdevo thats same here too.

Comment

Always take my iPad mainly for taking pictures. Use free Wi Fi ashore when available. Only use ships facilities when we get free Wi Fi like on Princess but only on the odd occasion. For some strange reason I am not drawn to using computers during a cruise like I am at home. My home equipment consists of Macbook, MacbookPro, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV. I love Apple as you can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
          Always take my iPad mainly for taking pictures. Use free Wi Fi ashore when available. Only use ships facilities when we get free Wi Fi like on Princess but only on the odd occasion. For some strange reason I am not drawn to using computers during a cruise like I am at home. My home equipment consists of Macbook, MacbookPro, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV. I love Apple as you can see.
          So you're Ipad Ian!!!...unmasked at last..
          Regards
          Garfield

Comment

I now always take my iPad as it is useful for keeping in touch with home via email, weather reports, resort information and taking photographs and sending them home via email which is cheaper and quicker than sending postcards. Usually cruise with Cunard so we have a free internet package, have used the computer on board ship but not since I had my iPad.
            Oriana
            Oceana
            Ventura
            Queen Mary 2
            Queen Victoria
            Queen Elizabeth

Comment

I love the Internet, but on holiday I have a complete e-detox.

I do not normally use a phone or the net on holiday. I prefer not to hear the UK news either.

For me a holiday is all about living a different lifestyle for a few weeks.
              Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 17th October 2014, 03:32 PM.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We go away precisely to get away and don't regard internet as a priority - if we really need to check something there are always internet cafes ashore, or hubby can use his smartphone in an emergency

Our view tends to be that if it's so important folk will reach us; otherwise it can all wait until we get back

Cheers,
                Lynn

Comment

For me cruising = rest & relax, occasionally have to empty the inbox when free wi fi is available.

Comment

I use a combination of three devices while on a cruise. My iPhone, my iPad, and my MacBook Air.

The iPhone is connected with Three which offers cheap or free access to the internet in many countries in the world, and certainly in Europe. You get inclusive use in line with your normal tariff in their 'Feel at Home' countries, and in their EU Internet Pass countries you can pay £5/day for unlimited access. If I don't have access to Feel at Home or EU Internet Pass, I'll find WiFi hotspots or open access points wandering about the town etc.

The iPad is used mainly on the ship as I currently have an WiFi-only model (though I think I'll buy an LTE iPad Air 2, announced last night). This will be connected to the ship's WiFi, and used to check e-mails, forums, comments and see how my blog is doing.

The MacBook Air is used mainly for blogging and connects with the ship's WiFi, though if there's something urgent that I need to deal with while I'm away I might take it ashore and find a café offering free WiFi (where I'll always buy a drink or lunch) and deal with whatever needs dealt with.

Given that we use the internet for much of our daily news and tech news, to communicate with friends and family, and for our business (and my blog), internet access is an important aspect of out holiday and I wouldn't like to be without it for too long. It's a big part of our life and certainly not a 'chore' or something we feel like we need to get away from.
                    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

dst ....we are with "3" have to check our package deal.

amazed so many like mac/apple. we have windows 8 on our laptop and a slow widows 7 starter edition on our slow netbook, our phone is android software.

Comment

I take my kindle fire but purely for reading. My Samsung galaxy s3 mobile for photos and just a quick phone call or text home when in port. Other than that I've no interest in the internet whilst cruising. I also like the fact that the girls lock their phones in the safe and they only come out at ports of call again as emergency in case we are separated.
                        On our last cruise in May I didn't even read a newspaper.

However on our first cruise in October 2012 I bought the newspaper every day for updates on missing April jones as we live in a nearby community.

So unless there is something major to keep track off I'm happy to switch off and have a internet free holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                          dst ....we are with "3" have to check our package deal.

amazed so many like mac/apple. we have windows 8 on our laptop and a slow widows 7 starter edition on our slow netbook, our phone is android software.
                          Three's Feel at Home is fantastic, and lets you use whatever you have in the UK when you're in a supported country. There are 16 countries currently supported, including the USA. The full list is on the site linked to at the start of this paragraph.

I used to be a real fanboy when it came to Apple. I now use them because I genuinely think they represent good value for money and they're the best computers available. In terms of smartphones, the iPhone for a long while was the only good option, but Android hardware has caught up such that good Android phones are perfectly good devices and people just buy what they prefer. If that's Android, then you won't hear any criticism from me.
                          Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Dont use anything,take the phone for emergencys,but i like the fact i dont know whats going on for a week or two! Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                              So you're Ipad Ian!!!...unmasked at last..
                              Regards
                              Garfield
                              Drat Robin, didn't think anyone would recognise me.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X