• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Few Opinions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Few Opinions!

Why do we have so many cruise.dot members, but sometimes get so few responses to threads?

Some posts only get a few replies.

Judging by the statistics, many members read the posts, but do not feel the need to contribute. It is of course their prerogative, but it does not create a very lively forum, at times.

Do you agree with me?

I often feel compelled to respond and agree or disagree with a post. I suppose I just have a big cyber-mouth?
    See my cruise blog: HERE

A good question.

The forum went through a phase where some people thought things were too robust or argumentative, but the numbers contributing were much higher when that was the case.

Maybe it's just cyclical, and we're just at a low point? Or maybe there's only so many times people can bring themselves to comment on recurring subjects?

Comment

[QUOTEMaybe it's just cyclical, and we're just at a low point? Or maybe there's only so many times people can bring themselves to comment on recurring subjects?][/QUOTE]

Spot on Max how many more Anthem and Quantum threads do we need...Taffy
      ​Taffy

Comment

I tend to comment on things when I have something new to say but don't like to repeat things I've said on previous threads for fear of sounding like a broken record.
        Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

I'm with you Sue. Sometimes I don't feel I know enough about the subject to contribute or what I think has already been said (several times).
          Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

I know what you mean HA. This is the fourth time a thread has been posted over the past few weeks about the robot barman on the Anthem/Quantum OTS.

A lot of the topics being posted regarding the Anthem and Quantum OTS are started by employees of cruise.co.uk. Just generating interest and hoping to tempt us I suppose. It is their forum after all.

Cheers OSD.
            Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post

A lot of the topics being posted regarding the Anthem and Quantum OTS are started by employees of cruise.co.uk.
              To be fair, the majority of the press releases are from RCI at the moment and a few from P&O's Britannia. The other major cruise lines (and minor ones) have all been pretty quiet of late.

Love her or hate her, Quantum is the biggest news!

Comment

There you go: 173 views, but only 6 opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                  Some of us go to work, and mainly check the forum at home in the evening!
                  2018-
                  Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                  NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                  Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                  Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                  Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Why do we have so many cruise.dot members, but sometimes get so few responses to threads?

Some posts only get a few replies.

Judging by the statistics, many members read the posts, but do not feel the need to contribute. It is of course their prerogative, but it does not create a very lively forum, at times.

Do you agree with me?

I often feel compelled to respond and agree or disagree with a post. I suppose I just have a big cyber-mouth?
                    Hi Malcolm. Good question.
                    Well, I answered one of your posts the other day gave my opinion and all hell broke lose You see sometimes you can't have an opinion that is different from the majority as there is always some one there to shoot you down. So I guess some folks get nervous of having an opinion in case the trolls take over as happened to me earlier this week. You need nerves of steel sometimes a good sense of humour to laugh it away
                    Last edited by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS; 24th September 2014, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
                      Hi Malcolm. Good question.
                      Well, I answered one of your posts the other day gave my opinion and all hell broke lose You see sometimes you can't have an opinion that is different from the majority as there is always some one there to shoot you down. So I guess some folks get nervous of having an opinion in case the trolls take over as happened to me earlier this week. You need nerves of steel sometimes a good sense of humour to laugh it away
                      My view too MM. I now try to avoid posts by some members who seem to disagree on principle, and think others' opinions are not valid. Judith

Comment

If we have nothing to contribute, it seems silly to post for posting's sake.

What's better, a thread with a few but pertinent posts, or a thread with some posts which you read and think...why on earth did that member post?

Comment

I guess people just haven't felt compelled to contribute to the particular topic. I contribute as and when. Some of the threads have been quite active (Quantum & Scottish Independence) so there's been lots of activity albeit on long, existing threads.
                          Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hi Malcolm, I agree with MM too, in the 'good old days' I had an average posting rate of between 17 & 20 posts a day on a variety of subjects.

Unfortunately I got absolutely fed up to the back teeth with all the constant bickering on the forum, Some members who shall remain nameless, making other members feeling like total idiots just for the pleasure of it.

We all have opinions, when you put your opinion into print and then some member take a personal delight in ridiculing your opinion you begin to wonder if its all worth the effort. So many good members have been put off posting for fear of retaliation from those that were never wrong - on occasions they were but would never admit to it.

We, the longer serving members of CruiseDot, will remember the so called favoured few 'the click' who's sole aim, allegedly, was to back each other up in times of dispute - this too put of many members, in particular newer member who were not used to this type of sarcastic wit, (for want of a better description) We all need a bit of light hearted banter from time to time but to constantly pick up members for using, as an example, bad grammer, spelling mistakes, the wrong word or putting a comma in the wrong place is not on. We all have had different levels of education, it's a cruise forum nobody came here with the intention of improving their English,

And finally I would say that I miss chatting with all my old cyber buddy's on here, I still read all their post with interest and I still support CruiseDot with all my cruise bookings,..... Thats my rant over......Helmet on....
                            sigpic
                            Cruisings Cool

Comment

Originally posted by Barrowman, Bedford View Post
                              Hi Malcolm, I agree with MM too, in the 'good old days' I had an average posting rate of between 17 & 20 posts a day on a variety of subjects.

Unfortunately I got absolutely fed up to the back teeth with all the constant bickering on the forum, Some members who shall remain nameless, making other members feeling like total idiots just for the pleasure of it.

We all have opinions, when you put your opinion into print and then some member take a personal delight in ridiculing your opinion you begin to wonder if its all worth the effort. So many good members have been put off posting for fear of retaliation from those that were never wrong - on occasions they were but would never admit to it.

We, the longer serving members of CruiseDot, will remember the so called favoured few 'the click' who's sole aim, allegedly, was to back each other up in times of dispute - this too put of many members, in particular newer member who were not used to this type of sarcastic wit, (for want of a better description) We all need a bit of light hearted banter from time to time but to constantly pick up members for using, as an example, bad grammer, spelling mistakes, the wrong word or putting a comma in the wrong place is not on. We all have had different levels of education, it's a cruise forum nobody came here with the intention of improving their English,

And finally I would say that I miss chatting with all my old cyber buddy's on here, I still read all their post with interest and I still support CruiseDot with all my cruise bookings,..... Thats my rant over......Helmet on....
                              I am also a long standing member and I think this was debated and put to bed long ago. If you wanted to chat with your cyber buddies, nothing is stopping you. Robust debate yes, belittling, no.

As for 'English 'n grammar', no member should feel their posts must reach Pulitzer standard, either in style or content and I would like to think that is not an issue on our forum.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X