• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Its a Cruise by" and "overnight"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Its a Cruise by" and "overnight"

Now as you know I am looking at world cruises and saw that St Helena and Ascension Is on some webs were listed showing 0900-1700.

I thought great know someone from st helena a great place but never been there. Anyway trawlling the TA's one has it shown as "cruise by" I rang Cunard wondering did they mean tender. NO they are both just a drive by no stoppng of the ship of gettng off cunard said.

Why on earth did they list them as places instead of sea days on the diary list. Never seen this before and it was not fully being fair, might as well list every nation and island they sail by without stopping too. I was so disappointed.

[On a P&0 cruise once we had an overnight stop listed in Lisbon so we thought overnight meant overnight and a chance for afew hours ashore next morning But no the ship sailed just after midnight, Reception could not grasp what was wrong with the description]

whats your opinion have ever seen this before. I can understand fjords, canals, and glaciers being listed

I agree it is not really not fair to mislead people into thinking as first glance it will be a port call. P&O advertised a couple of islands as port calls two years ago before re wording it to sail by after people had booked Naughty! May just as well not mention sail by ports as you can't see mush of them from the ship anyway. They do it to boost sales me thinks!!

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with you both.

If the ship sails by in such a way that it might be a feature of the cruise (slowly passing closely for instance, with something to see) then put it on the itinerary but have it clearly marked as a sail by. I wonder if your confusion is because of some TAs not showing this properly on their own websites and publications.

How was it represented in the Cunard brochure / website?
      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

R.C.I have similar next year we have a stop in Majorca. The ship leaves Palma at 0100 hours but the way it's shown on itinerary makes it appear there are two days in port.
        Sail bys are surely better if a surprise? We had an unexpected sail passed the Azores once it was lovely as unexpected.
        Past cruises:
        Carnival Conquest October 2002
        Independence of the Seas October 2012
        Independence of the Seas May 2014
        Explorer of the Seas June 2015
        Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

I spent a fabulous two weeks on Ascension. I am not sure if the island could cope with cruise ships landing passengers. I am not even sure how close you would be able to get as you sail past, or what you will see. There is nothing to see except volcanic rock and the world's second longest runway. But what a fascinating place.
          Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

drewlin ............In Ascension did you take a trip into the mountains with the lush vegetaion /colourful flowers wildlife etc & nice beaches. I thought a day stop would have been a great day visit. but as you say tenders would have to used and the island would have to gear up for tourists and give their economy a boost. Were you there in connection with the RAF/USAF?

Cunard web is very poor on info thats why I trawlled the TA web's

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
              Now as you know I am looking at world cruises and saw that St Helena and Ascension Is on some webs were listed showing 0900-1700.

I thought great know someone from st helena a great place but never been there. Anyway trawlling the TA's one has it shown as "cruise by" I rang Cunard wondering did they mean tender. NO they are both just a drive by no stoppng of the ship of gettng off cunard said.

Why on earth did they list them as places instead of sea days on the diary list. Never seen this before and it was not fully being fair, might as well list every nation and island they sail by without stopping too. I was so disappointed.

[On a P&0 cruise once we had an overnight stop listed in Lisbon so we thought overnight meant overnight and a chance for afew hours ashore next morning But no the ship sailed just after midnight, Reception could not grasp what was wrong with the description]

whats your opinion have ever seen this before. I can understand fjords, canals, and glaciers being listed
              I can't see the problem. I've only seen the Cunard online brochure [always best to stick with the actual bona fide info, especially before cruise launch] and it does state 'cruise by' with no times added so I would have no expectations of stopping at them.

It's just stating Victoria will be cruising past these islands for those interested and I would guess the ship will cruise closer to them than an outright 'pass by' and as such, no added info on the islands will be on the Cunard web site. I'm sure a commentary will be provided as the ship cruises by.

Comment

Easter Island is also mentioned on the Cunard 2016 world cruise but unless you look into the itinerary you won't realise it's a sail by, we did the same on Pitcairn but we anchored off and the islanders came to us for the afternoon as there was no way of landing us. CG
                sigpic

Comment

It's another marketing ploy. You would be amazed how many people don't read the itinerary info properly, never mind the small print. On our westward Atlantic crossing last year one woman didn't realise we had eight days at sea!

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                    Easter Island is also mentioned on the Cunard 2016 world cruise but unless you look into the itinerary you won't realise it's a sail by, we did the same on Pitcairn but we anchored off and the islanders came to us for the afternoon as there was no way of landing us. CG
                    Too right CG. There are quite a few 'cruise by' references for all three Cunard World Cruises.

It wouldn't occur to me they are any other than 'cruise by'.

As for Easter Island, my parents were on ships that 'cruised by', unintentionally, a few times. They only managed to land once.

Comment

Hi Duetto, I was there in Green Kit. Didn't see any vegetation, though did manage a round of golf. Reputed to be one of the World's worse golf courses. Now has the distinction of been played by the World's worst golfer! Although there were Turtles around I didn't manage to see them. If it did become a cruise destination would think the infrastructure required would change the whole character of the Island. Also, although I found it fascinating, not sure it was a view shared by all of us on the tour.
                      Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                        I can't see the problem. I've only seen the Cunard online brochure [always best to stick with the actual bona fide info, especially before cruise launch] and it does state 'cruise by' with no times added so I would have no expectations of stopping at them.

It's just stating Victoria will be cruising past these islands for those interested and I would guess the ship will cruise closer to them than an outright 'pass by' and as such, no added info on the islands will be on the Cunard web site. I'm sure a commentary will be provided as the ship cruises by.
                        Hi Mrs M
                        You really should stand back sometimes,and accept Cunard are not always the shining star you think they are.
                        You are stretching your defence of them to the limit with this one.
                        If they put the Isle of Wight in the itinarary as a 'cruise by' they would incur the disbelief of the forum,and rightly so.

Btw,,,,have a great cruise this week,don't let anything spoil a great get together with other members.
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi Mrs M
                          You really should stand back sometimes,and accept Cunard are not always the shining star you think they are.
                          You are stretching your defence of them to the limit with this one.
                          If they put the Isle of Wight in the itinarary as a 'cruise by' they would incur the disbelief of the forum,and rightly so.

Btw,,,,have a great cruise this week,don't let anything spoil a great get together with other members.
                          JC
                          You're quite right. Cunard IS the shining star for me even though I see its faults. Luckily, I'm grounded enough to know that isn't the same for everyone but in this case, I guess it's all in the interpretation of 'cruise by'.

To my [obviously uneducated] mind, that is the equivalent of a walker 'passing by', say a shop, i.e. not stopping but having it pointed out just for interest.

Maybe the islands/points of interest mentioned as 'cruise by' aspects contain a little more interest to the average cruise passenger than, possibly the Isle of Wight? Although I suppose if you were a festival goer in the late 60's 70's, the Isle of Wight would hold great memories and thus a point of interest.

Who knows!

As for the forum cruise, we KNOW we're going to have a great get together and a super time.

Comment

The idea of adding "cruise by" to the itinerary is something that has only started happening in the last few years. One time you would go on a cruise and if we past land, or land mark it may have been pointed out by the bridge. Passing islands like Stromboli with the erupting volcano was always a pointed out the island but never placed in the brochure as such.
                            Putting sail by in tiny print the listed itinerary can be misleading to some people and even more so if it is listed as a port and later changed to sail by as P&O did with our cruise.
                            Sailing by an island at slow pace I have done plenty of this. I find you don't see much and I just wish I could get off and go have a real look ashore. Reunion, we sailed by and it looked lush but you don' get feel for a place. Easer Island was pretty boring. Pitcairn's is nice if you get to go around and see Bounty Bay. Pitcairn's the people are lovely and will come onto the ship as CG mentioned. I noted that most ships doing the Pacific in 2016 are only one port stop. Such a shame as the Pacific are fabulous

Comment

Reunion is on the is on the list too, I hope thats not another drive by too.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X