• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budget cruising?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget cruising?

Here goes my first attempt at starting a new thread, sorry if it's been covered before.

I've read a lot about so called 'budget cruiselines' the classic example I suppose is Thomson, however they are on occasions more expensive than more exclusive lines such as Cunard or P&O , so how do you define the word budget?

For me 'budget' means my personal maximum spend, I personally don't think there is such a thing a a budget cruiseline.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers NB.

Originally posted by Norfolkboy, Norfolk View Post
    Here goes my first attempt at starting a new thread, sorry if it's been covered before.

I've read a lot about so called 'budget cruiselines' the classic example I suppose is Thomson, however they are on occasions more expensive than more exclusive lines such as Cunard or P&O , so how do you define the word budget?

For me 'budget' means my personal maximum spend, I personally don't think there is such a thing a a budget cruiseline.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers NB.
    Realistically I dont think there are any 'budget' cruise lines either. If you had asked me about 7 years ago - I would have said MSC whom you could travel with for around £300 per week, some of the frills were missing, like having to pay for Tea and coffee and water, Food wasnt available 24/7 but they have moved on a lot since then and now their pricing is inline with many other cruise companies now too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
      Realistically I dont think there are any 'budget' cruise lines either. If you had asked me about 7 years ago - I would have said MSC whom you could travel with for around £300 per week, some of the frills were missing, like having to pay for Tea and coffee and water, Food wasnt available 24/7 but they have moved on a lot since then and now their pricing is inline with many other cruise companies now too.

Hello Bradbury, thinking again the only one I would have considered budget would have been 'Easycruise' but unlike it's more successful airline, it didn't last long.

NB.

Comment

Very evocative thread? As Bradbury says its my budget that matters.
        You can sail of a top end line like Cunard for $50pppn as many did just before Christmas last year,or you can sail on the same ship and pay over£150 pppn .
        You have luxury lines that offer very little in the way of entertainment ,at a premium price,and Mega ships that offer you more entertainment than enough at affordable prices.
        Some cruise lines have a very low star rating but have a huge following ,so I guess Horses for courses.We have a budget to cruise with so we look for a good deal on a ship we like Eclipse would be our first choice,but we do look at other lines?...Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
          Very evocative thread? As Bradbury says its my budget that matters.
          You can sail of a top end line like Cunard for $50pppn as many did just before Christmas last year,or you can sail on the same ship and pay over£150 pppn .
          You have luxury lines that offer very little in the way of entertainment ,at a premium price,and Mega ships that offer you more entertainment than enough at affordable prices.
          Some cruise lines have a very low star rating but have a huge following ,so I guess Horses for courses.We have a budget to cruise with so we look for a good deal on a ship we like Eclipse would be our first choice,but we do look at other lines?...Taffy

Agree with what you say Taffy, numerous cruiselines out there offer very good deals at certain times, the problem I find is that people associate the word 'budget' with cheap, which is not the case in my opinion.

NB.

Comment

Agree with what you say Taffy, numerous cruiselines out there offer very good deals at certain times, the problem I find is that people associate the word 'budget' with cheap, which is not the case in my opinion.

NB.
            We are probably all guilty of that NB ,it may be a snobbish thing?
            Some so called Budget deals are not that good ,by the time you add on all the extras it can be cheaper to book a premium line ,Ryanair being one example...Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
              We are probably all guilty of that NB ,it may be a snobbish thing?
              Some so called Budget deals are not that good ,by the time you add on all the extras it can be cheaper to book a premium line ,Ryanair being one example...Taffy

Yes, what you see is not always what you get, the 'add ons' tend to come out more than the headline price itself.

I suppose it comes down to research and knowing your individual budget, and don't get carried away by hard selling agents.

NB.

Comment

My definition of budget cruising:

Good product at bargain pricing. Thomson for solo travellers is not a budget cruise line,

I have many sea days at a daily cost of less than £50 pp pd and I travel solo.

For what it is worth, I tend to group cruise lines into traditional and non-traditional but itinerary is 1st priority.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  My definition of budget cruising:

Good product at bargain pricing. Thomson for solo travellers is not a budget cruise line,

I have many sea days at a daily cost of less than £50 pp pd and I travel solo.

For what it is worth, I tend to group cruise lines into traditional and non-traditional but itinerary is 1st priority.

Annie
                  Fair comment Annie, I just wondered why people associate certain cruiselines with the word 'budget' Thomson being one, when infact they are relatively expensive at times.

As said previously budget and cheap are not the same, but people seem to think they are.

NB.

Comment

It is the cruise industry that defines Budget, standard, premium and luxury, NOT the punters!

In my opinion, all cruise lines initially offer fares which are far from 'Budget' (maybe £100pp, per day, for an inside cabin) including the so called 'budget' lines.

However the levels of later discounts indicates to me if they are a 'budget' operation.

CMV for example regularly have late deals at £50pp, per day, sometimes less. There D-Day cruises are currently "from £349" for 6-7 days. Thomson and MSC also have some remarkable late deals.

Personally I find that if I'm paying £50pp, per day, I am more likely to have my expectations exceeded than if I'm paying £150 pp per day.
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                      It is the cruise industry that defines Budget, standard, premium and luxury, NOT the punters!

In my opinion, all cruise lines initially offer fares which are far from 'Budget' (maybe £100pp, per day, for an inside cabin) including the so called 'budget' lines.

However the levels of later discounts indicates to me if they are a 'budget' operation.

CMV for example regularly have late deals at £50pp, per day, sometimes less. There D-Day cruises are currently "from £349" for 6-7 days. Thomson and MSC also have some remarkable late deals.

Personally I find that if I'm paying £50pp, per day, I am more likely to have my expectations exceeded than if I'm paying £150 pp per day.
                      All very valid points, I still think that people's perception of budget is cheap, which is my main point, Cunard for instance offer some very competitive prices, but are never referred to as budget, Thomson on the other hand offer similar prices but are often referred to as budget, why is that?

NB.

Comment

All very valid points, I still think that people's perception of budget is cheap, which is my main point, Cunard for instance offer some very competitive prices, but are never referred to as budget, Thomson on the other hand offer similar prices but are often referred to as budget, why is that?

NB.
                        I think probably because the terms refer more to the on board experience than the actual price. As was pointed out, Ryanair, a budget airline, can often end up costing more when you include the various charges, but the experience is still poor.

Similarly, Thomson offers a budget experience (older ships, lower-quality food etc.), while Cunard offer a higher-level experience (newer, more impressive ships, better food). That doesn't mean you won't be able to sail with Cunard for less than you would with Thomson, depending on when you book.

I would look at whether a deal was good value (all things considered) rather than 'budget', or 'premium' etc.
                        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Pullmantur is a (great) budget brand.

I heard - from a Celebrity crew member - that the Celebrity Century is being sold to them in 2015; if that's true you'd hardly get me off it.

Comment

There is a deal of obfuscation between the terms budget and cheap. Pride usually means substituting 'budget' when what is really meant is cheap.

'Good value' should be preferable rather than budget although some will always want cheap - nothing wrong in that if it also gives good value.

We couch our language in euphemism's to avoid saying what we really mean. After a little teasing of the conversation we mostly, but not always, get to the real meaning of the conversation.

e.g. I sell about a thousand chainsaws a year and one of the most asked questions I get is - what is the price of your smallest chainsaw? Pound to a penny they mean the cheapest chainsaw. The smallest can cost several times that of the cheapest - usually built to professional standards.

The joy of the English language

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Colin, Brighton UK View Post
                              Pullmantur is a (great) budget brand.

I heard - from a Celebrity crew member - that the Celebrity Century is being sold to them in 2015; if that's true you'd hardly get me off it.
                              Pullmantur is a subsidiary off R.C.I. As is Celebrity so no need to sell anything as they are all part of the same parent company.
                              ]

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X