• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A request from the heart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A request from the heart



    Those of you who have a loved one who has been stricken down with this dreadful condition will surely appreciate this.
    I am not a bold or argumentative person, but the one thing that REALLY upsets me and makes me want to scream is when some one tells me 'If after just half an hour, your mother forgets you've visited why do you bother to visit so regularly ?'

    #2
    Very touching poem, Hat, as we live longer we will see more of it , truly sad thing to see happening to our friends and relatives...Taffy
    ​Taffy

    Comment


      #3
      I lost my father to this horrible disease 18 months ago.

      His only other illnesses in 82 years, were the twice in his life when he caught 'flu and lost 5 working days in total.

      Much more needs to be spent on research and finding a cure, as it does not only affect the individual, but all those around, in a big way!

      Thanks for the post.

      Stewart

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
        I lost my father to this horrible disease 18 months ago.

        His only other illnesses in 82 years, were the twice in his life when he caught 'flu and lost 5 working days in total.

        Much more needs to be spent on research and finding a cure, as it does not only affect the individual, but all those around, in a big way!

        Thanks for the post.

        Stewart
        My father in law had senile dementia and my father had vascular dementia, which progressed [don't let one TIA pass. Go and see a GP and start the medication regime to hopefully stop any more and thus halt further vascular damage being done if others occur] and I can identify with this.

        I can also identify with the human frailty which means, on occasions, one DOES succumb to some of the emotions mentioned. That means you're then hit with another emotion...guilt.

        However much you love and adore your parents, I know it can be a very hard few years looking after them, but thankfully, as well as relations, I have wonderful friends [both actual and on the forum] who helped me through.

        Yet another side to our wonderful membership...the ability to 'sound off' to non judgmental cyber friends. Priceless.

        You know who you are. Thank you.
        x

        Comment


          #5
          .
          Pardon my ignorance Mrs M, but what's a TIA?

          Cheers OSD
          Our cruising days are over now.................

          Comment


            #6
            An awful condition. My step mum has had this for many years now. She doesn't recognise me now but I still visit.

            I just wish they could find a cure or something to arrest it. It's going to cost the NHS a bomb in the future never mind the heartache involved for family & friends.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
              .
              Pardon my ignorance Mrs M, but what's a TIA?

              Cheers OSD
              Basically, very mini strokes which are often ignored as they have no immediate impact on daily life.

              Accumulatively, after a while, they can be devastating and cause vascular dementia.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post


                Those of you who have a loved one who has been stricken down with this dreadful condition will surely appreciate this.
                I am not a bold or argumentative person, but the one thing that REALLY upsets me and makes me want to scream is when some one tells me 'If after just half an hour, your mother forgets you've visited why do you bother to visit so regularly ?'
                Thanks for posting the verse Hat.

                My Mum suffered from Alzheimer's disease for ten years before she passed away two years ago. For the last few years of her life she was cared for in a nursing home in London. I made the weekly round trip of 200 miles to visit her. After every visit I felt totally drained and often drove home in a daze.

                My Mum had not recognised me, or other members of the family for several years. As Hat has already mentioned, friends would ask why I bothered to visit, if my Mum did not recognise me. The comments used to make me very angry and tearful. When my Mum was finally released from the awful illness, we all felt that we had grieved and 'lost' her many years before.

                For me, the worst stages of Alzheimers, were the swearing and violent phases, typical with most sufferers. I prayed that my Mum was not as confused in her own mind, as she appeared to others. It's a truly awful disease and my thoughts go out to everyone who may have a family member suffering with the disease, or other forms of dementia.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                  Basically, very mini strokes which are often ignored as they have no immediate impact on daily life.

                  Accumulatively, after a while, they can be devastating and cause vascular dementia.
                  Thank you for that Mrs M. Very informative.

                  Cheers OSD
                  Our cruising days are over now.................

                  Comment


                    #10
                    TIA (Transient Ischaemic Attack} is a Mini Stroke which can occur at any time without any forewarning. Goes with Cardio Vascular Disease causing Vascular Dementia. My brother has Alzheimer's, whilst I have the Lesser Vascular Dementia. I telephone him every week, but now he is not able to speak. It is a very stressful illness not only on the patient, but also on the carer too. In my case, I drive my wife up the wall at times. She tells me things two or three times and I still do not understand what it is she is telling me. It gets very frustrating for us both, and needless to say, nerves get frayed and things get said that are not meant. This machine helps to keep me sane in that I have to really concentrate on what I am doing. My family are great with me and support me no end and I love them all greatly. But even with them all around me sometimes I feel very separated from them as one goes into a sort of forgetfulness, for want of a better word, mode and drift off into another world. I know that I will get worse as time passes but for now life is for living and my family help me to do that. What a moulding post. I hope that you all have a brilliant 2014. John

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by granddaddy, worksop View Post
                      TIA (Transient Ischaemic Attack} is a Mini Stroke which can occur at any time without any forewarning. Goes with Cardio Vascular Disease causing Vascular Dementia. My brother has Alzheimer's, whilst I have the Lesser Vascular Dementia. I telephone him every week, but now he is not able to speak. It is a very stressful illness not only on the patient, but also on the carer too. In my case, I drive my wife up the wall at times. She tells me things two or three times and I still do not understand what it is she is telling me. It gets very frustrating for us both, and needless to say, nerves get frayed and things get said that are not meant. This machine helps to keep me sane in that I have to really concentrate on what I am doing. My family are great with me and support me no end and I love them all greatly. But even with them all around me sometimes I feel very separated from them as one goes into a sort of forgetfulness, for want of a better word, mode and drift off into another world. I know that I will get worse as time passes but for now life is for living and my family help me to do that. What a moulding post. I hope that you all have a brilliant 2014. John
                      Not a 'moulding post' at all. A salutary one and thank you for sharing.

                      TIA's should not be ignored, as I said but if they do progress and are causative of Vascular Dementia, the effects are devastating for both sufferer in the early/mid stages as well as the carer

                      My heart goes out to you and your wife but rest assured John, you're amongst cyber friends, especially now you have given background to a problem we weren't aware of.

                      Continue with your contributions... and drive us up the wall instead/as well. Some of us [guilty!] already do that so you'll continue to fit in beautifully.

                      Mrs M
                      x
                      Last edited by Mrs M; 29th December 2013, 04:50 PM. Reason: tweaked terminology

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by granddaddy, worksop View Post
                        TIA (Transient Ischaemic Attack} is a Mini Stroke which can occur at any time without any forewarning. Goes with Cardio Vascular Disease causing Vascular Dementia. My brother has Alzheimer's, whilst I have the Lesser Vascular Dementia. I telephone him every week, but now he is not able to speak. It is a very stressful illness not only on the patient, but also on the carer too. In my case, I drive my wife up the wall at times. She tells me things two or three times and I still do not understand what it is she is telling me. It gets very frustrating for us both, and needless to say, nerves get frayed and things get said that are not meant. This machine helps to keep me sane in that I have to really concentrate on what I am doing. My family are great with me and support me no end and I love them all greatly. But even with them all around me sometimes I feel very separated from them as one goes into a sort of forgetfulness, for want of a better word, mode and drift off into another world. I know that I will get worse as time passes but for now life is for living and my family help me to do that. What a moulding post. I hope that you all have a brilliant 2014. John
                        Dear John,

                        How brave you are, much like my late Mum, who described the same feelings and thoughts, before her illness worsened. It does not have too and I sincerely hope your health does not deteriorate further.

                        With love and very best wishes to you and your family for 2014.

                        Lizzie xx
                        Lizzie sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I lost my mum also to this terrible disease. It was a blessing when she passed away as in the end she was bedridden and hadn't known anyone for five years.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            My dad had vascular dementia, and was very morose and sometimes violent. I looked after him for as long as I could, while also trying to keep my job. Eventually he went into care and was really much happier in company. I was diagnosed with cancer soon after he went into care. I have two close friends who also cared for parents with dementia, one has just has surgery for breast cancer and the other for liver cancer. I wonder if a study has been done on the health effects of trying to care for someone with dementia. Judith

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                              .
                              Pardon my ignorance Mrs M, but what's a TIA?

                              Cheers OSD
                              Transient Ischaemic Attack is the full name for TIA. they are mini strokes caused by usually a blood clot in the brain but the person usually fully recovers unlike a full stroke.
                              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X