• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Years Eve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Years Eve

Happy New Year to you all , with many cruises!

So how are you celebrating ?

Do the Scots have more fun because it's Hogmanay? Does it follow therefore that if both blonde and Scottish you have even more fun ?
    Last edited by Christiaan, Ocean Shores; 28th December 2009, 08:24 AM.

I'm working (in a pub). Happy New Year all
    Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

Comment

Happy new year to every one, A nice quiet on for us

Comment

Happy New Year everyone :D

Comment

Off to the Mother in Laws in Mansfield for the night now the snow has cleared up.

Best wishes for a happy & prosperous new year to you all x x
          We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

A quiet one for us, we are up at 4am to travel to the airport for our Ventura cruise!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shelledpea, Stalybridge, nr Manchester View Post
              Off to the Mother in Laws in Mansfield for the night now the snow has cleared up.

Best wishes for a happy & prosperous new year to you all x x
              Safe journey. think more snow is forcast though, hope you get on with the Mother in law:D

Comment

Happy New Year to all forum members I look forward to all the interesting posts and all the discussions to come in the next year, be they tongue in cheek.,indignant ,or informative
                sigpic

Comment

I also wish all of you 'Health. Happiness and a prosperous New Year' Have a safe journey if travelling weather forecast do'snt look too good. Carol X.
                  sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by shelledpea, stalybridge, nr manchester View Post
                    off to the mother in laws in mansfield for the night now the snow has cleared up.

best wishes for a happy & prosperous new year to you all x x
                    shooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh keep very quiet or you may just put the mockers on it !!
                    Happy new cruising year everyone.
                    Slave to the Deal

Comment

Originally posted by Brian, Swinton View Post
                      Safe journey. think more snow is forcast though, hope you get on with the Mother in law:D
                      Cheers but it's snowing again here!

She's not too bad now she's had 13 years to get used to me:p
                      We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

Happy New Year to all of you!

Most likely, we'll be on the beach just East of Hilton Barbados. ;)

checking out their usual fireworks display

-even though it's rumoured to be not as big this year

so we'll make do with 3 mins. worth of continuous pyrotechnix
                        instead of the usual five...

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

Sounds like it. I'm Scottish and blonde and for as many years as I can remember we've celebrated Hogmanay. This year we're going out with friends for our Hogmanay dinner, and then we're going to the Celeidh/cabaret/disco at the Bowling Club where we'll see in the New Year, have lots to drink and eat and dance the night and the Old Year away. Just before midnight there'll be a piper playing and a count down to midnight and then everyone wishes each other a 'Happy New Year' with lots of kissing going on.A good happy start to the year.
                          Of course there are Hogmanay traditions and superstitions . Many Scottish housewives clean the house from top to bottom leading up to Hogmanay( it's considered unlucky to carry over any dirt or rubbish from the Old Year in to the New Year. My mother even used to empty out the ashes from the fire before midnight). Then there's the whisky and the cooking which includes Shortbread and Black Bun, because it's considered unlucky to have no food or drink for the 'First Footers', that being the name for the first visitors of the New Year. Just before 'The Bells' at midnight the back door of the house is opened to let the 'Old Year' out and then they wait for the 'First Foot' He, and it must be a 'He' is an important man because he brings the luck into the house for the year, a woman is considered an unlucky first foot. Traditionally he should be tall, dark and handsome, and he should carry in food and/or drink, usually whisky, and/or coal or wood for the fire. After a few drams and chat and something to eat, the First Footers move on to the next house and this visiting can go on all night.Women accompany the men nowadays, but 'First Footing' used to be a men only tradition. Happy Hogmanay and a 'Guid New Year' to you all.
                          Last edited by sailorfiona, linlithgow; 30th December 2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Very interesting, well put,enjoyed that. is there many that goes for the first footing, I wonder what his condition is like after the 20th house Anyway

Happy New year to All. and a healthy one. :D

Comment

A happy, healthy and peaceful New Year to all - and thank you for the guidance re cruising. I have learned a lot since joining and glad I found you. A friendly board where help is always available.
                              Patty

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X