• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Food

Here are the menu's from a recent P&O Azura cruise which my Dad took.

He was very disappointed with the food.

He described it as not what he would call 'cruise food'

He has previously cruised with many different cruise lines, starting with Airtours, Thomson, Ocean Village, Princess, Fred Olsen, Cunard and Celebrity. This was his first cruise with P&O.

What he was disappointed with is the use of what he calls 'cheap ingredients' or 'cheap cuts'.

He didn't expect shepperds pie, liver, belly pork etc.

Would you be disappointed with these menu's?

Can you tell which nights were 'formal' nights?

Vinny
    sigpic

Hi Vinny.
    Must have a lot of 'grass' on that ship,,,they seem to feed the steaks a lot of it.

Nice to see them recycling,,,,Lamb and Barley stew one day,,,,Lamb and Barley soup 2 days later.Fresh soup?

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnyTurner, Dukinfield View Post
      Here are the menu's from a recent P&O Azura cruise which my Dad took.

He was very disappointed with the food.

He described it as not what he would call 'cruise food'

He has previously cruised with many different cruise lines, starting with Airtours, Thomson, Ocean Village, Princess, Fred Olsen, Cunard and Celebrity. This was his first cruise with P&O.

What he was disappointed with is the use of what he calls 'cheap ingredients' or 'cheap cuts'.

He didn't expect shepperds pie, liver, belly pork etc.

Would you be disappointed with these menu's?

Can you tell which nights were 'formal' nights?

Vinny

Hello Vinny, Your Dad's obviously a very experienced cruiser, and if he's say's the foods disappionting, that would be good enough for me.

Unfortunately P&O, Cunard and others seem to be getting bad reviews, most of which are saying about 'cut backs' to the food and it's quality.

None of the menu's particularly stand out, so couldn't really see what one's were the formal nights.

Dave.

Comment

So whats wrong with it, you have a good selection,duck,lamb,and many other food selections, its the same old story just because 1 night has sheperds pie,with is a very traditional british recepie so what, british food, british ship...I think people are just becoming to fussy...the menus look appertising,same as telly if you dont like a programme turn over and watch something else

Comment

Nothing wrong with it Brian a good selection and plenty of choice there is always alternative's , I have yet to come home and say that the food selection was poor and have never seen or heard anyone onboard say so.
          Also don't forget the theme nights in the buffet, Indian, Best of British night , Italian and many more, in fact PO IMO make the best curries.CG
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brian, Swinton View Post
            So whats wrong with it, you have a good selection,duck,lamb,and many other food selections, its the same old story just because 1 night has sheperds pie,with is a very traditional british recepie so what, british food, british ship...I think people are just becoming to fussy...the menus look appertising,same as telly if you dont like a programme turn over and watch something else

Hello Brian, I can see what you're saying, but Shepperds Pie I believe is not traditionally seen on cruise ship menus, and I agree the menus do look appertising but very samey, and as JC has pointed they are clearly recycling uneaten food, which isn't good.

Dave.

Comment

I have never sailed P&O so keep that in mind.

I am guessing that the menu with the champagne sorbet is formal night?? followed by liver as one of the options??

2 general comments - very English menu esp the fish dishes.

I agree Shepherd's Pie in pastry?? is very odd but it is the quality of the food that counts.

Cream of plum tomato soup?? - what an odd name.

Annie
              Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 4th March 2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                Nothing wrong with it Brian a good selection and plenty of choice there is always alternative's , I have yet to come home and say that the food selection was poor and have never seen or heard anyone onboard say so.
                Also don't forget the theme nights in the buffet, Indian, Best of British night , Italian and many more, in fact PO IMO make the best curries.CG
                Hi Cornish Girl, to be honest as one of the waiters said on our last cruise, if you can't get a good curry on a ship you never will as most are indian chefs that do the curries...our daughter loves the vegetarian curries onboard..I can't eat them as i can't eat spicy food now

Comment

Vinny,it seems that some of the food that was classed as 'working class' a few years ago,is now served in some very high end eateries,that was the food i grew up with,belly pork,cottage pie(mince beef was cheaper than lamb). But having said that,we take it for granted now,that we dine on smoked salmon,fillet beef,ribeye steak etc,on a regular basis.when ifirst started work,and putting money into the household,my mother would buy me frying steak for fridays tea,it was rubbish,but the look on her face stopped me from saying anything,she was so pleased to think she was pushing the boat out(ha ha)

Comment

Wot no lobster?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                      Wot no lobster?

Jim
                      I noticed that too and also the absence of salads. Very English - so much pork.

Annie

Comment

Mmm....,tummys growling now!

Comment

Hi Vinny

I haven't sailed with P&O for 30 years, so I don't know what the meals actually look like when they are placed in front of you, but surely even a dedicated 'foodie' could find something acceptable on the menus you posted. As P&O is apparently beloved by some who wouldn't dream of trying any other line because they know what to expect, it seems that they are aiming to please as many passengers as possible; those who don't like 'mucked about' food as well as those a little more adventurous. What is more, I think the only difference between some of P&O's offerings and those of some rival cruise lines is their lack of flowery descriptions. In my experience, some menus promise amazing culinary delights, but then don't quite measure up when the plate arrives.

Jenny

Comment

What you seem to be forgetting is the chef is catering for Brits who, in the main, would know a well balanced menu from a boomerang!

Comment

I'm not happy with only one veggie choice - I can't eat Quorn, do I starve that evening? I realise I'm in a minority, but come on P&O raise your game.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X