• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations!

I was just going to say something about seasickness and whirlpool baths (very strange I know) Phone rang and for the umpteenth time it was Congratulations! you have just won a caribbean cruise! press one on your phone now! I do not. Just put the phone down. I suppose many of you have had the same phone call. Who is responsible and has any one ever taken the offer up? I presume its a scam.
    sigpic*Carol M*

You did right. No-one rings you to tell you you've won something UNLESS you've actually entered a competition or draw.

Comment

or at least you HOPE it's a scam ;) if it was'nt you could be packing your seasickness tablets and heading to the Caribbean :D
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by the mumfords, Nr. rotherham View Post
        I was just going to say something about seasickness and whirlpool baths (very strange I know) Phone rang and for the umpteenth time it was Congratulations! you have just won a caribbean cruise! press one on your phone now! I do not. Just put the phone down. I suppose many of you have had the same phone call. Who is responsible and has any one ever taken the offer up? I presume its a scam.

Are there any telephone engineers amongst us who know the relevance of pressing one on your phone?

I agree with Bosscat that this was most likely to be a scam and wonder how these con artists manage to extract money from us apart from "send a registration fee to this address".

Comment

By pressing ( 1 ) you go on to a premium number which was charged at $4.50 per minute, they take some time to answer then, give you lots a talk about, 1 week in Florida, a 4 day Bahama cruise, then at the end ask for your credit card number, by pay up-front admin fees.

A survey was carried out by TS offices the call took over 16 minutes.
          Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Thanks for that information Tenpin.

So - If it is as easy as that, just press 1 to start paying $4.50 per minute, surely the phone company is a partner to the crime! The system for the con has to be set up. At the least, the phone company should give it's customers a reasonable level of protection.

Is this beyond their powers? Or are the phone companies making a few bucks from this con as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
              or at least you HOPE it's a scam ;) if it was'nt you could be packing your seasickness tablets and heading to the Caribbean :D
              After reading tenpins answer I would have felt sick if I had responded, even on dry land. $4.50 per minute! 16 minutes in total! These rip offs do need exposing!
              sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                Thanks for that information Tenpin.

So - If it is as easy as that, just press 1 to start paying $4.50 per minute, surely the phone company is a partner to the crime! The system for the con has to be set up. At the least, the phone company should give it's customers a reasonable level of protection.

Is this beyond their powers? Or are the phone companies making a few bucks from this con as well?
                What gets me also, if someone phones and says you have won? why the premium rate call and asking for credit card details? I suppose there will always be folks who will fall for it though. I hasten to add I wouldnt, but some have no doubt! Hope between us we have stopped at least one responding.
                sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

This scam has been running on another holiday site for over two years, surprisingly quite a few have fallen for it.

Not sure how it works, but all calls originate in the USA, as from what we have been told, pressing (1) links it somehow into a new number.

With over 400 replies to that particular thread, none have been on a free holiday, while others have paid out for Airs Fares to Miami on their credid card, but never receive flight details.

There have ben several investgations, but all they do is shut up shop for a few months, then re-surface.
                  As the saying goes, you get ouwt for nowt
                  Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

if you are with BT you can register to have 'spam' sales etc calls blocked
                    Helen

the keeper Loobyloo, Hugo and Tinkerbell (the cats) and The Cluckingtons (the chickens)

Comment

I am with B T and registered with the Telephone preference society and I still get them.

Comment

I've entered 1000s of competitions ( and won lots of good prizes, tho' I'm still waiting for a cruise!) You have to be in it to win it, so if this sort of call comes, then it's bound to be a scam. There are lots of laws about comps in this country, including the follow up letter if you're ever contacted by a winner. So, the next time you're rung, either hang up or say you'll wait for the official letter. The last time I did that, the Florida firm rang off VERY nastily!
                        If you enter a comp in the US, or, I believe on a US ship, you may be liable for the 10% of the winnings that the tax man in the US charges for any prize above $999. If it's a cruise, it's usually minus port taxes and fees, and transport.
                        Stick to the comps in the supermarkets, mags and well-known places. The best odds for winning are your local newspaper, which usually gets few responses.
                        BTW, the odds for winning with the Reader's Digest NO envelope are better than the lottery.......Jo.
                        Jo.

Comment

No such things as a free lunch

Part of my work involves investigating fraud and what has been said about premium rate number scams is correct. Another scam involves TXT on mobiles where you reply to an apparently innocent msg and promptly find all your calls are routed via a premium rate number. My experience is whilst banks refund victims of fraud, major phone companies do not. The simple rule is never respond to anything by phone unless you know it is trusted source. The police and Trading Standards strongly advise never to have any dealings with companies using cold calling techniques, the words free or you have won...... Usually means they will take a lot of money from you if you let them,

Investigating fraud is not all straightforward due a whole raft of legislation which protects our privacy also that of the criminal so best not be a victim.

Another quick tip if travelling and paying for on line goods or services. Use a service like Paypal which will protect you as there is no need for registered customers to give credit card information but run a mile if someone wants you to use Weston Union - In my experience this company is a fraudsters paradise/ investigators nightmare:mare:

Comment

After reading tenpins answer I would have felt sick if I had responded, even on dry land. $4.50 per minute! 16 minutes in total! These rip offs do need exposing!
                            yes I would have as well. I was just joking with my inital answer. hope you didn't take offence :o
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

With the calls I;ve had I can't tell the caller I'll wait for a letter as the calls are all a pre recorded message. They must just use random dialling. I have three or four calls in a week then nothing for several weeks then off we go again. How do i stop them? No one at my number will respond but I'm fed up of answering them.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X