• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Challenge For The Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Challenge For The Day

There have been many times I have talked on cruise sites to get the same question of, 'What has this got to do with cruising?' Can any of you come up with a topic of conversation that has nothing to do with cruising?

A Challenge For The Day
    How about this?
    "So just where is your next landbased holiday"
    Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

Hayling Island Hampshire in August...............

Comment

A real contentious and topical one - what do you think of the Coalition's plans to abolish all OAP benefits on those whose income exceeds £140 per week?? and no I am not making it up.

Annie

Comment

I had not heard about these plans. Where can I find more information?
          Oriana
          Oceana
          Ventura
          Queen Mary 2
          Queen Victoria
          Queen Elizabeth

Comment

If you go to Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph

There is a coalition of IDS,Nick Clegg and the Sun newspaper campaigning for the abolition of Pensioner Fringe Benefits for wealthier pensioners.

However Saga think the limit will be much lower.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              If you go to Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph

There is a coalition of IDS,Nick Clegg and the Sun newspaper campaigning for the abolition of Pensioner Fringe Benefits for wealthier pensioners.

Annie
              What fringe benefits? Apart from free prescriptions (I take no prescription medication) and eye tests which my employer paid for previously, what else is there? I don't have a bus pass as the public transport system here is hopeless. Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                What fringe benefits? Apart from free prescriptions (I take no prescription medication) and eye tests which my employer paid for previously, what else is there? I don't have a bus pass as the public transport system here is hopeless. Judith
                Not my expression - they also count heating allowance ; I agree a free bus pass in London is worth more than it is in the countryside.

Bottom line is GO wants to make £25 billion more cuts in the Welfare Budget and the biggest spend in the Welfare budget is Pensions.

Pensioners with an income in excess of £100K a year and there are at least 100,000 of them do not need these universal benefits.

Annie

Comment

Annie I am clasified as a poor pensioner, as I have no income apart from the state pension of under £100 per week, being self employed all my life.

I use my savings which now get very little interest, yet can claim nothing as I have saved hard all my life,, yet I wonder how these politicians would cope with sitting in the house for most of the day with at least some of the heating on. As I can't move much I feel the cold badly and even in July have been known to have a fire lit.

I don't go to work at sit in a warm office supplied with heat and light by my employers or eat in a subsidized restuarant then stay at a 5* hotel paid for by the tax payers and on top of that get paid extra for turning up at the house of commons.
                  Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot, Derby View Post
                    There have been many times I have talked on cruise sites to get the same question of, 'What has this got to do with cruising?' Can any of you come up with a topic of conversation that has nothing to do with cruising?
                    Second rate trolls?
                    Last edited by Fast Eddie, The North; 11th June 2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruisegas, cruisegas View Post
                      How about this?
                      "So just where is your next landbased holiday"
                      Never heard of cruise and stay holidays then ?

Comment

A real contentious and topical one - what do you think of the Coalition's plans to abolish all OAP benefits on those whose income exceeds £140 per week?? and no I am not making it up.

Annie
                        Could effect how many OAP's take cruises in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy, Wolverhampton View Post
                          I had not heard about these plans. Where can I find more information?
                          Plans to cruise from different places maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
                            Annie I am clasified as a poor pensioner, as I have no income apart from the state pension of under £100 per week, being self employed all my life.

I use my savings which now get very little interest, yet can claim nothing as I have saved hard all my life,, yet I wonder how these politicians would cope with sitting in the house for most of the day with at least some of the heating on. As I can't move much I feel the cold badly and even in July have been known to have a fire lit.

I don't go to work at sit in a warm office supplied with heat and light by my employers or eat in a subsidized restuarant then stay at a 5* hotel paid for by the tax payers and on top of that get paid extra for turning up at the house of commons.
                            Hey

Please do not shoot the messenger - I agree with you - you are unlikely to be affected.

Those pensioners whose marginal rate of tax is 40% don't need heating allowance IMHO.

Lobby your MP and support Saga.

Annie

Comment

Annie
                              Isn't Saga a cruise company ?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X