• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swine flu injection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Just because medicines are tested does not ensure their safety, Thalidomide springs to mind. At least with MOST alternative therapies it has been traditionally used over centuries before there was an option for chemical based medicine. A lot of medicines used today are based on old knowledge. I keep an open mind and use conventional and alternative as appropriate. No one was more sceptical than me regarding accupuncture but in desperation with a pain problem I tried it and it certainly helped.
    I hadn't heard of Dr Mercola but the drug companies are salesmen too, we have reps coming in all the time at work bringing 'freebies' to promote their company. You pay your money and you make your choice ..Carol

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
      Just because medicines are tested does not ensure their safety, Thalidomide springs to mind. At least with MOST alternative therapies it has been traditionally used over centuries before there was an option for chemical based medicine. A lot of medicines used today are based on old knowledge. I keep an open mind and use conventional and alternative as appropriate. No one was more sceptical than me regarding accupuncture but in desperation with a pain problem I tried it and it certainly helped.
      I hadn't heard of Dr Mercola but the drug companies are salesmen too, we have reps coming in all the time at work bringing 'freebies' to promote their company. You pay your money and you make your choice ..Carol

      Comment


        #33
        Harvey, you need to bat your eylashes more .. we got memory sticks for a computer last week AND fresh croissant.Carol
        p.s. not trying to be flippant on a subject people are concerned about.
        Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 15th November 2009, 11:26 AM.

        Comment


          #34
          Coffee anyone!

          Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
          Harvey, you need to bat your eylashes more .. we got memory sticks for a computer last week AND fresh croissant.Carol
          p.s. not trying to be flippant on a subject people are concerned about.

          Comment


            #35
            While I personally wouldn't touch anything Dr Mercola is involved in ('quack' comes to mind), I do believe natural and alternative medicines have their place. Why shouldn't these at least be tried before resorting to chemical/conventional/science based treatments? And Carol has a valid point -- the drug companies are salesmen too.

            Have the lessons been learnt from 40 years ago? Go back just 21 years to the Opren scandal. You must remember that Doc? Check out the Hansard report to refresh your memory: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1988/mar/17/opren-settlement

            Other drugs have been withdrawn because they are so poisonous that anything over the 'recommended daily dose' has resulted in death (Co-proxamol anyone?)

            OK, if you are told you should only take 8 in 24 hours you could blame the patient, and not the drug, for not adhering to the instructions. However, when death has resulted after taking as few as 10 tablets, the drug is clearly not suitable to be in the hands of Joe Public (many of whom don't understand the consequences). I could be wrong -- I often am -- but I doubt the consequences of taking an extra seaweed or cod liver oil capsule or two will be quite so... erm, fatal.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Grumpy, Boston View Post
              While I personally wouldn't touch anything Dr Mercola is involved in ('quack' comes to mind), I do believe natural and alternative medicines have their place. Why shouldn't these at least be tried before resorting to chemical/conventional/science based treatments? And Carol has a valid point -- the drug companies are salesmen too.

              Have the lessons been learnt from 40 years ago? Go back just 21 years to the Opren scandal. You must remember that Doc? Check out the Hansard report to refresh your memory: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1988/mar/17/opren-settlement

              Other drugs have been withdrawn because they are so poisonous that anything over the 'recommended daily dose' has resulted in death (Co-proxamol anyone?)

              OK, if you are told you should only take 8 in 24 hours you could blame the patient, and not the drug, for not adhering to the instructions. However, when death has resulted after taking as few as 10 tablets, the drug is clearly not suitable to be in the hands of Joe Public (many of whom don't understand the consequences). I could be wrong -- I often am -- but I doubt the consequences of taking an extra seaweed or cod liver oil capsule or two will be quite so... erm, fatal.
              I agree that by taking supplements ie cod liver oil, vitamin C will boost your immune system however you must make sure not to exceed the stated dose as they can cause stomach upsets and diarrhoea annoying symptoms but as you say not fatal. at the moment I know I will continue to take the supplements till I know more about the side-effects of the H1N1 vaccine.
              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

              Comment


                #37
                Complementary medicines

                I wonder if anyone knows how many complementary medicines (this is not a quiz, I don't know either) have killed thousands of people and been allowed to stay on the market? What about the following?

                Vioxx (an old drug taken off the market because of fatal results - then brought back again about 15 years later, new coloured package) Deaths in USA probably in excess of 66,00. Suspected deaths in world, could be in excess of 100,000. Took years to have it banned.

                Gardisil, Spain stopped its use, deaths in Australia over 10, problems from use - hundreds of young girls disabled. Should be banned.

                Aspartame, the most complaints from any 'food' additive in the FDA's history. Causes symptoms of MS and Lupus. Turns to formaldahyde at 85f the body runs at 98f? Could be going to be banned soon.

                Fluoride - used in the concentration camps to calm the prisoners, no real proof that it saves teeth, stays in the body - so dangerous it cannot be dupmped in the sea, more dangerous than mercury. Our MP's keep trying to add it to our water, tea is grown on natural fluoride not a by-product of the aluminium industry.

                Swine Flu - anyone seen the full list of ingredients yet? Dog food cans have more information than this vaccine. Mercury - aluminium - formaldahyde.

                Statins are another suspect medication, the list goes on and on.

                The American Government have also granted the drugs companies who produce the swine flu vaccine, immunity from being sued, so if you are imobilised from having the vaccine, you cannot claim anything.

                The list goes on and on............................. But as I always quote, the nice thing about other peoples opinions is you don't have to agree with them, or they with you.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Recently been to 3 course meal with as much wine as you could drink from dressings rep with talk. Going to lunch at local golf club (Xmas) with other dressings rep. All on local formulary. Believe me they are raking it in!

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Unregulated industry

                    Originally posted by Whignpen, Chessington View Post
                    I wonder if anyone knows how many complementary medicines (this is not a quiz, I don't know either) have killed thousands of people and been allowed to stay on the market? What about the following?.
                    That's one of the problems - No one knows. The industry is complety unregulated.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Cruisewhat maybe, Edinburgh View Post
                      Recently been to 3 course meal with as much wine as you could drink from dressings rep with talk. Going to lunch at local golf club (Xmas) with other dressings rep. All on local formulary. Believe me they are raking it in!
                      I don't think that this was ever in question.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        memory sticks

                        Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                        Harvey, you need to bat your eylashes more .. we got memory sticks for a computer last week AND fresh croissant.Carol
                        p.s. not trying to be flippant on a subject people are concerned about.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Now you have all ruined it for me! We thought we were doing really well getting something other than a pen now you tell me they are cheap. They may be more PC than alcohol but a lot less fun! Not that I drink of course:D..Carol

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Not sure about having the swine flu jab as it appears to have been rushed into production. My daughter in law had a very painful swollen arm as a result and she's never had that reaction with other flu jabs. I'm still waiting for the call.

                            However, an older pal has just had swine flu and was so ill the doctor had to be called to see him. He's a rough tough old countryman and hardly ever ill so I can't decide what to do, apart from having a medicinal brandy or three, just in case.
                            Liz

                            Comment


                            We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.


                            By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

                            Working...
                            X