• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swine flu injection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swine flu injection?

hi guys,looking for some help on a personal dilemma. i work in the community with elderly and vulnerable clients and with all the swine flu pandemic talk,we've all been offered the vaccine.thing is,i don't know enough about the vaccine and i'm really unsure whether to take it.my bosses,local nurses,receptionists etc have all had it and now i'm feeling under real pressure to follow suit,but there's been such a bad press,i don't know !! getting the guilt trip (think of your family/clients) but my teenage daughter has begged me to say no. (you might get sick/take a reaction) have never had seasonal flu vaccine,but never had flu either and the internet has conflicting views. i know it's a personal decision but will never forgive myself if i pass it to family,parents or clients-nor do i want side effects and end up perhaps ill for months or years myself. i'm feeling really upset tonight about this and will get stick whatever i decide so please-no criticism,it's hard enough.any advice as this is a rural community and we have confirmed cases here now.i'm scared and upset as we just don't know how bad it's going to get and i worry about making the wrong choice and paying for it.
    I'd rather be in my cosy bed !!!!!!!!:p

As with any medical decision you need to consider risk vs benefits.
    I have not heard of anyone having complications from this vaccine, unlike some previous ones.
    Most people appear to be getting a mild case when they get Swine Flu, but in a severe case the risk from the Swine flu is much greater than the risk from the vaccine.
    Best not to keep searching for an answer on the Internet though, sometimes too much information can overload and you end up more confused- and no one online can offer advice that is appropriate to your health history - much better to talk to your Dr and he can help you assess what is best for you, and make a decision.

Comment

Bad press? what bad press? I havn't noticed any horror stories.
      I am in a at risk group so get the free Flu vaccine each year which causes slight cold type symptoms so I will be having the swine flu vaccine when offered, probably this month. I have had flu many years ago and it was awful so I don't want to repeat the experience. Of course you must make up your own mind but at least the vaccine is free for many and apparently 60 million doses have been purchased so there is enough to go round.

Comment

Your bosses, nurses, doctors have all had the jab; they consider it safe. They are recommending it to vulnerable elderly patients - would they do this if it was not a good idea? Why on earth take the (presumably uninformed) advice of your teenage daughter against that of health professionals.
        Last edited by Slizzy, Glasgow; 7th November 2009, 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo!

Comment

Originally posted by davecttr, gillingham View Post
          Bad press? what bad press? I havn't noticed any horror stories.
          I am in a at risk group so get the free Flu vaccine each year which causes slight cold type symptoms so I will be having the swine flu vaccine when offered, probably this month. I have had flu many years ago and it was awful so I don't want to repeat the experience. Of course you must make up your own mind but at least the vaccine is free for many and apparently 60 million doses have been purchased so there is enough to go round.
          I will second that comment- once you have had the flu, you don't ever want it again, It is a completely debilitating, nasty illness.

Comment

I work in the NHS and we were all offered the injection and I too debated whether or not to have it but after careful consideration I decided to take it rather than chance catching swine flu. I have to say that apart from having a very sore and stiff arm for 2-3 days, I have been perfectly okay and had no side effects at all from it.

Obviously this is a personal choice but nobody I know who has had the injection has suffered with any bad reactions to it. Hope this puts your mind at rest a bit.

Comment

ok,i'll have it then !!

just a wee update to say " thanks" to those who replied.sorry if i misled anyone with the "bad press" comment,but i made the mistake of googling the swine flu injection and some of the horror stories had me petrified. reports of high amounts of mercury and other hellish things you wouldn't want, injected into your body.then there was an article telling us we could fall ill in a few months/years with illnesses similar to Guillane Barre Syndrome. not what i wanted to read at all,however had a panicked chat with someone from the surgery who has talked me down from my tree and even persuaded me to get the injection. so,hopefully getting it in a couple of weeks. :D

Comment

Oh Suzyq, why is it you can read the ingredients on a tin of soup but NO one will give you the ingredients on the Flu vaccine!!! Mercury, aluminium, formaldahyde????

In Australia they have had their flu season and it is reported that its not as bad as the normal flu. Yet again the drugs companies are making millions of dollars from this vaccine which has not been tested long enough. Go by your gut reaction, don't put anything in your body that you cannot pronounce the words of the ingredients, if they will even give them to you.

When I had the flu in 1960 I was sick for two weeks, lost a stone in weight, and felt I was finished. The ones interviewed on the radio who had swine flu sounded as fit as a flea - and were sick for less than a week. Go to Dr Mercola, (an American doctor) who tells it as it is. Will open your eyes.

Comment

Hi Suzyq, I also work in the NHS and have not decided if I will have the swine flu injection yet. do not be forced/pressured into getting it if you are not sure. if you do decide to have the swine flu injection you should also receive the normal flu injection at the same time, ie one injection each arm. word of warning though if you have an egg allergy then you will have to let your GP/practice nurse know so they can order in special egg free injections.
                  don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

hi whignpen,thanks for your reply.my gut feeling-get back up my tree and stay there until winter passes !!!! i really don't want this injection but am still under pressure,although when i asked how many GP's at my practice had actually taken it, "confidential information" i was told. why not just give me a percentage ? think i'll stick to my guns and take the flak,i'm not going to be able to please everyone whatever i decide. cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Whignpen, Chessington View Post
                      Oh Suzyq, why is it you can read the ingredients on a tin of soup but NO one will give you the ingredients on the Flu vaccine!!! Mercury, aluminium, formaldahyde????

In Australia they have had their flu season and it is reported that its not as bad as the normal flu. Yet again the drugs companies are making millions of dollars from this vaccine which has not been tested long enough. Go by your gut reaction, don't put anything in your body that you cannot pronounce the words of the ingredients, if they will even give them to you.

When I had the flu in 1960 I was sick for two weeks, lost a stone in weight, and felt I was finished. The ones interviewed on the radio who had swine flu sounded as fit as a flea - and were sick for less than a week. Go to Dr Mercola, (an American doctor) who tells it as it is. Will open your eyes.
                      Over here it is from one extreme to the other- most have had a mild illness, recovered with no treatment. Those who have had the most severe form of the disease have been critically ill, or have died, despite the best of care. The sad thing is, it is affecting healthy young people. and not the very young or very old as is usual with seasonal flu viruses.
                      Last edited by Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA; 12th November 2009, 12:58 AM.

Comment

thanks too isabell,never had regular flu jag either so don't know how i'd feel with it.been pretty lucky healthwise,no flu,chickenpox,mumps etc. think i've got a good immune system going on.nice to hear from a fellow scot by the way.

Comment

All of my colleagues who have had it have had bad side effects. Sore swollen red arms for 3 days, aches, pains, not able to sleep and feeling like a bus is parked on your chest. Not one is unscathed. The vaccine has not been properly tested as there has not been time. The evidence is from the H5N1 vaccine - similar but not the same. However if I was in the seriously at risk categories I would have it - pregnant, immunocompromised or serious underlying health conditions. The people who have died have quickly been overwhelmed with the virus so it is probably safer to be cautious. If you are staff and catch it then as a responsible citizen you would be off work for at least a week as per NHS and government instructions!

Comment

Originally posted by suzyq, west scotland View Post
                            thanks too isabell,never had regular flu jag either so don't know how i'd feel with it.been pretty lucky healthwise,no flu,chickenpox,mumps etc. think i've got a good immune system going on.nice to hear from a fellow scot by the way.
                            some of my fellow nurses that have had it have had painfull, swollen and inflamed arm. as I am 53 and the goverment stated a few months ago that people in their 50's are less likely to contract swine flu as our immune systems have built up antibodies over the years.......well thats my cop out excuse and I'm sticking to it :p if I had underlying health problems then yes I would have it but I don't.
                            there are quite a few of us Scots on this forum, we get everywere!!!! it will take more than Hadrian's wall to keep us in. lol :D:D
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Hi Suzyq, I am a nurse at our local hospital and we have all been offered the jab but after careful consideration I have decided not to have it. I am reasonably fit and just don't feel comfortable having it. A few years ago I had the winter flu jab and to be fair did not have any reaction to it but after the first one I refused subsequent offers and have managed (so far!) to avoid getting the illness. I will keep an open mind but at the moment I just don't want it..Carol
                              I should add that I don't work on the wards (just outpatients) so I am not coming in contact with vulnerable patients whose immune systems are compromised.
                              Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 12th November 2009, 10:18 AM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X