• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banned Words

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banned Words

I have noticed recently a propensity of younger people to use words and phrases that either grate or annoy because they are used incorrectly or automatically without thought.

I quote:

Starting every sentence with the word "Absolutely"

The phase "At this moment in time" ("Currently" or even "now" would be preferable.

The question: "What was your name?" Why do they want to know what it was, surely it would be better to know what it is......?

And in conclusion, finally, to end with and last of all...... Why when you come to someone with your problem do they invariably say to you...."NO PROBLEM" when it is a problem and I have brought it to them as a problem and they insist on telling me ........."NO PROBLEM" uuuurrrrrggggghhhh. .....Neil

Absolutely, Neil
    Jo

Comment

The peppering of sentences with the redundant word 'like' is annoying. For example, "it's, like, a car". Not it isn't like a car, it is a car!!
      2018-
      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield View Post
        Absolutely, Neil
        Like, totally with you there DQ!

Comment

I would like to say, girls that you done well good. ....Neil

Comment

Broadening the thread, my pet hate is 'You Know' during an interview.

If we knew we would not be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
              I would like to say, girls that you done well good. ....Neil
              Well, you know.

Comment

Basically you are absolutely correct

Comment

my bugbear is the word "passionate" i.e. "i'm passionate about cooking" as said by a bloke with tears in his eyes.
                  the phrase "the squeezed middle"; when did we stop being working class?
                  and apparently every politician now wants "transparency"; they should be careful, or they just might get it!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                    I have noticed recently a propensity of younger people to use words and phrases that either grate or annoy because they are used incorrectly or automatically without thought.

I quote:

Starting every sentence with the word "Absolutely"

The phase "At this moment in time" ("Currently" or even "now" would be preferable.

The question: "What was your name?" Why do they want to know what it was, surely it would be better to know what it is......?

And in conclusion, finally, to end with and last of all...... Why when you come to someone with your problem do they invariably say to you...."NO PROBLEM" when it is a problem and I have brought it to them as a problem and they insist on telling me ........."NO PROBLEM" uuuurrrrrggggghhhh. .....Neil
                    How about banning "propensity"? sounds way to pompous to me ........................ at this moment in time.

Comment

I just speak common sense english and hope to be understood by most of my fellow man. The last english exam I sat was school certificate english language way back in the early 50s and in all my professional exams from second mate to master we did not sit an english paper but we still got by.

jim

Comment

Hi Neil

Couldn't agree with you more, the Police have a propensity for using that irritating phrase, "At this moment in time," also of introducing colleagues by their abbreviated rank i.e, DS, DI, DCI, DCS, what the heck do they mean to your average bloke in the street, also referring to some of their 'clients' as AC1 males?

The spell-checker on my PC will underline certain correctly spelled English words which the Americans spell differently than UK English, another idiosyncratic inaccuracy, surely there is only one English language, like wot we and Ernie Wise speak? or is it that our transatlantic cousins are too lazy to spell it correctly, or jealous that they had no hand in its creation, or except that we exported it to them in its original form, which they duly corrupted.

My other gripe is the automatic vetting system used by this Website, for example, where some quite innocuous words which are anticipated by the system as being rude or offensive.

I once used a quite legitimate word to describe the five line document upon which music is annotated, I will give it another go here but accept that a four letter word, contained within the actual ten letter word, will finish up censored, the word is, M****cript.

If the same policy still exists, it would also censor the name of one of the heavenly bodies known to us as Ur****, and would also deny the publication of the shadow chancellor's full name, but which would delete or obscure his surname leaving us with just his forename, Ed.

If this policy has been abandoned by the administrators, realising their folly, then I apologise, if not, and you wish to know the words intended, unless you have already guessed them, then on request, I will phonetically spell them for you, No sweat.

Gordon

Comment

Well good thread Neil, Just sic. (meaning good) I have a 16 year old who comes out with all sorts of things that need to be translated!
                          .................................................. ...............................................Car ol

Comment

Hi Neil,
                            Thank you for sharing this and giving us an insight. Your blue sky thinking on the subject and the resulting cascading of it to us has allowed us with lateral thinking and going outside the box to adopt a helicopter overview of it. Thank you for facilitating.
                            Yes, correct my pet hate is corporate or management speak. Why don't people say what they mean in plain language.
                            Fossil1

Comment

Originally posted by Fossil1, London View Post
                              Hi Neil,
                              Thank you for sharing this and giving us an insight. Your blue sky thinking on the subject and the resulting cascading of it to us has allowed us with lateral thinking and going outside the box to adopt a helicopter overview of it. Thank you for facilitating.
                              Yes, correct my pet hate is corporate or management speak. Why don't people say what they mean in plain language.

Sweet brudder.................dat is minging.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X