• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allotments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Allotments

    What could you possible do wrong to get yourself evicted off an allotment ? Any ideas welcome.

    #2
    Grow cannabis?

    I'm sure you could get evicted if you didn't take care of the allotment, and it ended up being overgrown.
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

    2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

    2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

    Comment


      #3
      neglect it, maybe steal someone else's veg or not pay your monthly rent.
      Lynn

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Foxtrot, Derby View Post
        What could you possible do wrong to get yourself evicted off an allotment ? Any ideas welcome.
        Hi Foxy.
        Why do you ask?
        OSD
        Our cruising days are over now.................

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by old sea dog, stockport View Post
          hi foxy.
          Why do you ask?
          Osd
          yes i was wondering that.

          Comment


            #6
            There is often a whole bunch of 'rules'. Here is an example:

            http://www.worthing.gov.uk/worthings...d,48741,en.pdf
            See my cruise blog: HERE

            Comment


              #7
              I asked because of a couple being evicted after six years of tending their allotment and winning a prize a best kept allotment. According to members of the committee they had received complaints about their conduct. Five complaints it says in the paper. Committees get on my nerves. Allotments are about growing food why do you need a committee for that? I'm sure they didn't have them in my Grandad's days. Gardening should be fun and enjoyable with nice things to eat after all your hard work. These committees should get a life. I think it could be sour grapes.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Foxtrot, Derby View Post
                These committees should get a life. I think it could be sour grapes.
                Everything needs rules! If we don't know what the couple have done, how can we judge if it is just or un-just? Here are some example of what people do on allotments:

                Losing the plot – discord and disputes down at the allotment - Telegraph
                See my cruise blog: HERE

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yes you can get thrown off your allotment if you neglect it , also if you interfer with your neighbours plot , I wonder if these people tried to run the allotment to the way they wished it run, and it didn't go down well with other plot holder's. CG
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    well maybe they were growing something they should not be,there are some plants about that people grow to have a little smoke from,just a thought

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm not saying there shouldn't be rules but growing things should be pleasurable. When you have paid for your plot you want to do with it within reason what you want to do with it. For me, it would be growing vegetables fresh to eat straight from the garden. I wouldn't want people to try to organise my way of doing things because I like to experiment. There should be no hard and fast rules about gardening. Sometimes things happen by accident. Nature has a way round everything. Should we try to stop it? I will keep an eye on what happens to the couple and let you know of the outcome. I think they have appealed against the way they have been treated.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I don't think they bothered with the appeal because it was the same people they were appealing to and not the council that owns the land. Which in my mind is wrong. If the council owns the land and takes the rent then they should have had a say in the matter. If it was left to committees to have the last word on everything none of us would stand much chance in anything. Jealousy is hard to fight. If you google Heanor Allotments you can read up on it. I think it goes back to March this year. Just a thought for the day.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have an allotment here in Widnes and the main rule here is it has to be tended and be producing. There are grades ranging from; Poor, producing litle, to excellent, fully worked. When I myself tell people I have an allotment they all seem to answer that they would love one when they grow older!!!!! The problem is, its dam hard work, people come and expect the council to have turned it over and started their beds for them and when they realise just how much work is involved they become disengaged with it, thats when the problems start. Lack of time, children, weather etc can reduce your visits so you have to be motivated and the results can be excellent and imagine taking veg from the ground and eating it within an hour.
                          One final thing to ponder on; when you buy a lettuce for example from the supermarket it will sit in your fridge for two or three weeks, if i pull one from my allotment it will last a few hours before I have to put it in water to refresh it again. NOW imagine what chemicals they are putting in your veg to keep them like that.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by martin, widnes (2) View Post
                            I have an allotment here in Widnes and the main rule here is it has to be tended and be producing. There are grades ranging from; Poor, producing litle, to excellent, fully worked. When I myself tell people I have an allotment they all seem to answer that they would love one when they grow older!!!!! The problem is, its dam hard work, people come and expect the council to have turned it over and started their beds for them and when they realise just how much work is involved they become disengaged with it, thats when the problems start. Lack of time, children, weather etc can reduce your visits so you have to be motivated and the results can be excellent and imagine taking veg from the ground and eating it within an hour.
                            One final thing to ponder on; when you buy a lettuce for example from the supermarket it will sit in your fridge for two or three weeks, if i pull one from my allotment it will last a few hours before I have to put it in water to refresh it again. NOW imagine what chemicals they are putting in your veg to keep them like that.
                            Spot on Martin. I too have an allotment and we have similar governance with a very sensible Warden.

                            After I had erected a greenhouse, large shed, patio and cold frame, plus having paved the paths either side, he did jokingly mention that any future projects of mine would need 'planning permission'.



                            By the way, that's, from the right, Beetroot, Parsley Curled and Parsley Flat Leaf.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Yes! I know what you mean about lettuce. I have grown some in my own garden and it doesn't stay crisp long in the fridge. You do have to put it in water to freshen it up again. Sometimes it depends on the variety. Little Gem lasts the longest in my fridge. I think the ways of allotments have changed over the years. I do remember my Grandad having an allotment years ago even though he had a large garden of his own. He grew all is veg on the allotment. Makes me wonder who makes the rules. The council or the committee ?

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X