• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still feel the embarrassment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still feel the embarrassment.

I was just recalling this morning the worst evening of my life. We were invited by some people we only knew through business to a 40th birthday party. The address was a large country house and they told us they were having a marquee in the garden. Thoughts of Posh and Becks and a spectacular venue with chandeliers, beautifully set tables and a swing band all came to mind. I agonized over what to wear but settled for a LBD and 3 inch heels and my OH wore his light suit as it was August. We travelled up the long drive and as we drove in heads turned to see who had arrived. My heart hit the floor, the other guests were standing around in jeans and Hunter wellies and not a dress in sight.There was no going back, we had to get out of the car and try to look cool, great idea but my heels sank into the soggy lawn and I was holding onto my OH so that unbalanced him and he slipped over and his pale grey suit was pebbled dashed with mud and sheep poo!:o You could hear the muffled laughter and our host rushed over to make sure we were both OK which didn't help the situation at all as I was hoping no one had noticed,Ha. There was a marquee but with trestle tables and plastic garden chairs.

We tried to make the best of it but I have never felt like such a fish out of water as I did that night, I think we tried too hard and just did not fit in at all, I felt the other guests thought we idiots and I couldn't wait to leave. I bet they all had a laugh after we left.. Anyone else put their foot in it?..Carol
    Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 18th September 2009, 07:02 AM.

Oh my love, welcome to my world, how long have you got?

1. DH and I went to a funeral that was away, ended up in the wrong church and the wrong funeral and had to go through the whole 'he was a wonderful man' to his grieving widow, who we had never met in our lives!!

2. Went to a party in London at a very posh venue, I popped to the loo before we walked into the grand hall. I had nearly walked the entire room when someone pointed out that I had my dress tucked into my knickers.

3. My next door neighbour told me 'another neighbour 'John' had died, bloody hell that was sudden I liked John. I went out got sympathy card for his wife and popped it through the door.

Well can you imagine my surprise when I met John the following morning walking down the street, now being an intelligent woman first I thought amazing I can see the dead, then it occurred to me I may have the wrong end of the stick here. I knocked on my next door neighbours door (the one who told me) and said I've just seen John W and he is not dead, no said my neighbour John L has died. I wanted to die (no pun intended) when I knocked on John Ws door to apologise for the card!!

:o:o:o You thought you had problems and this is the tip of the iceberg:o

Comment

OK you win!!Carol

Comment

Originally posted by redwinegirl2, Lake District View Post
        Oh my love, welcome to my world, how long have you got?

[

[COLOR=#243f8f]2. Went to a party in London at a very posh venue, I popped to the loo before we walked into the grand hall. I had nearly walked the entire room when someone pointed out that I had my dress tucked into my knickers.
        Oh I have done the same only this time it was at a dinner we were hosting for some students. They were on their best behaviour, trying to impress and I go and do that. Luckily I have a GSOH and laughed it off but inside I was SO embarrassed. I'm sure that was dined out on for a while.
        ps never done it again though!

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
          Oh I have done the same only this time it was at a dinner we were hosting for some students. They were on their best behaviour, trying to impress and I go and do that. Luckily I have a GSOH and laughed it off but inside I was SO embarrassed. I'm sure that was dined out on for a while.
          ps never done it again though!
          I was so embarrassed by something similar-
          Do any of you ladies remember that article of clothing called a "body"-similar to a leotard, but worn under trousers, and the top was like a T shirt?
          We were on an Inter-rail holiday to the Christmas markets in Germany. I nipped into the loo on the train, and forgot to fasten the poppers of the body. The whole carriage must have seen me walking by.....and scurrying back with these tell-tale bits dangling!- Jo.
          Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker, Seascale View Post
            I was so embarrassed by something similar-
            Do any of you ladies remember that article of clothing called a "body"-similar to a leotard, but worn under trousers, and the top was like a T shirt?
            We were on an Inter-rail holiday to the Christmas markets in Germany. I nipped into the loo on the train, and forgot to fasten the poppers of the body. The whole carriage must have seen me walking by.....and scurrying back with these tell-tale bits dangling!- Jo.
            :D Excellent Jo, I needed that laugh today, thank you

Comment

We still luv you.

Originally posted by Walker, Seascale View Post
              .. forgot to fasten the poppers of the body.
              The whole carriage must have seen me walking by...
              ..and scurrying back with these tell-tale bits dangling!
              Not a pretty sight.. :D
              Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Comment

This happened to my mate from school. She and I used to embarrass each other in public for a laugh, so one day when she thought she saw me walking along the street she decided to attract my attention by hauling me back using the hook of her brolly round my neck, rather like a shepherd would pull back a sheep. Well, this poor woman turned round and my friend realised with horror that it wasn't me! My friend was totally mortified.

I have never let her forget it.

AJ

Comment

My sister had a new car and played merry hell with the garage because it was jammed in second gear.

The garage collected it on a lorry and she was very sheepish when told it was jammed because she had her umbrella handle round the gear stick.
                  Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz, Harrogate View Post
                    My sister had a new car and played merry hell with the garage because it was jammed in second gear.

The garage collected it on a lorry and she was very sheepish when told it was jammed because she had her umbrella handle round the gear stick.
                    Liz
                    Oh Liz, that reminded me of when my indicators wouldn't work on my car. I drove to the garage (without indicating which was embarrassing in intself) and explained the problem. The mechanic had a quick look inside the car at the dashboard and switched the red emergancy switch off. Apparently it was slightly on, not enough to cause the lights to flash, but enough to stop the indicators working. I left the garage as red as my car... imagining the mechanics thinking 'blooming women drivers!'

Comment

Still on the car theme, my friend took her car in because of a funny clunking noise when she went around corners and the mechanic eventually found a tin of beans under the passenger seat!
                      We do need to be careful here sisters, we are leaving ourselves wide open for 'women drivers' jokes..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                        Still on the car theme, my friend took her car in because of a funny clunking noise when she went around corners and the mechanic eventually found a tin of beans under the passenger seat!
                        We do need to be careful here sisters, we are leaving ourselves wide open for 'women drivers' jokes..Carol
                        I'll bet none of you have put water in the oil, twice!! I topped up the washer fluid-trying to show a woman driver can do some easy maintenance- only I put it in the oil bit. Turned the engine on which is a mistake girls, [and boys, let's be PC about this]. I realised my mistake and drove to the garage which luckily was close. and had the water flushed out with lottery winners worth of oil. Next time I did it, I remembered and didn't turn on the engine, had the car towed and because water hadn't emulsified with the oil, the oil floated to the top and took only a bank loans worth of oil to flush the water out! So remember, when you put water into the oil, DON'T TURN ON THE CAR ENGINE!!

Comment

I've put unleaded in a diesel car, but I'm fairly sure I'm not alone in that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Many years ago, we moved to N Yorks, and were invited to dinner at a large estate. Two hours before , we were phoned and told it would be black tie. No problem for G., who's from the sort of backround which inherit DJs, but all I had was a trendy Indian garment, which was fine in my fairly hippie big city life.
                            On arrival, the other 12 or so guests were much older than us, and all the ladies wore long brocade skirts rather like my mum's curtains. We were sussed within minutes-G., with his public school accent fitted right in; much amusement when it was discovered that I was the daughter of a Yorkshire miner........
                            Several months later, there was a large party to celebrate the Christening of an heir. Arriving at the door, G was whisked away to meet a VIP, whilst Lady X announced: "And Mrs Walker will go to the Nursery and help the Nannies!"
                            And off I crept, taught them all to play musical bumps, had a talent show, and ate marmalade sandwiches. Better than meeting VIPs, I discovered!
                            It's still used as a put-down line in our house.- Jo.
                            Jo.

Comment

I remember being told a (possibly apocryphal) story about a middle aged lady from the US who hired a car on her arrival at Heathrow, with the intention of driving to Scotland.

When she crawled into the depot in Edinburgh with the car on it's last legs, she complained that the car had been incredibly high-revving, slow and extremely thirsty for petrol. The receptionist was very concerned to hear this, as it was a brand new car, so she called the mechanic to take a look.

He took a look at the engine, and found it was completely worn out!

The lady from the US was used to automatic gearboxes. She'd got in at Heathrow, put it in Drive and taken off.

The car had manual transmission. She'd driven from Heathrow to Edinburgh in second gear......

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X