• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Booster jabs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

You describe the English system??

I understand they have now redeployed Emily Lawson back to her vaccine role.

Surely vaccinating the children should be prioritised over booster jabs and everyone mask up until this temporary blip is overcome.

Annie

PS Unless the government is following a herd immunity policy?? and don't care about the level of infections.
    How many need vaccinating or antibodies to get herd immunity? Thought it was estimated that we are up around 90% which is over any numbers I saw required for herd immunity.
    If thats true something is not working.

Comment

Our GP's got together and set up the biggest vaccine hub in the area it's still running 24 bays but only 2 days a week

They were not jabbing in surgery

The NHS hub was smaller and moved to the same location think they may still operating with 15 bays(doing youngsters and teens)

The pharmacies also got together and set up a hub still operating a few days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...9-vaccination/

When did they drop the 28 day after positive covid requirement?
        I really don't know the answer to this but almost half of the whole school have had covid, so probably desperate measures?

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

How many need vaccinating or antibodies to get herd immunity? Thought it was estimated that we are up around 90% which is over any numbers I saw required for herd immunity.
          If thats true something is not working.
          Alas we are not Portugal. They learned their lesson from earlier in the year.

OH how I wish we were approx 90% of total population double vaccinated. We are at less than 80% of over 12s double vaccinated according to PHE.

The government appears to be relying on vaccination alone. Not they way to go JMO.

Annie

Comment

Many other countries are better off for numbers of hospital beds and doctor to patient ratios. Some of the examples coming out of NHS pressures are dreadful and yet we are encouraged to believe that everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Alas we are not Portugal. They learned their lesson from earlier in the year.

OH how I wish we were approx 90% of total population double vaccinated. We are at less than 80% of over 12s double vaccinated according to PHE.

The government appears to be relying on vaccination alone. Not they way to go JMO.

Annie
              I think we are well over 90% if you include those who have antibodies from prior infection. Which is included for herd immunity.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

I think we are well over 90% if you include those who have antibodies from prior infection. Which is included for herd immunity.
                No - sorry I have to dare to disagree.

PHE DV est 45.5 million

Covid Cases est 8.75 million

UK population est 68 million

Even if you assume that the 8.75 million have NEVER been vaccinated, the percentage you arrive at is less than 80%.

If you assume the covid cases have been vacciinated, the percentage drops to less than 70%.

A wee bit to go alas.

Annie

Comment

https://www.statista.com/chart/23961...id-antibodies/

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...hts/antibodies

Comment

Thanks for that.

Alas antibodies wane and T cells are just as important??

T-Cells & COVID-19: Penn Study Shows Robust T-Cell Response to Vaccine (pennmedicine.org)

One thing for sure is we will probably have a rolling program of covid 19 boosters until the ROW catches up - if ever.

How much will that cost the NHS and these costs were never in any budget.

Consequences for travel?? who knows.

Annie

Comment

As always, read the small print. It is not quite so bad here as might appear at first sight.

"Do not “bash the UK” for its high Covid-19 case rates compared with other countries, the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group has said, as some of the difference is simply because of more testing. Professor Sir Andrew Pollard told MPs that while transmission rates were clearly high, comparisons with other nations did not take into account different testing regimens. This might partly explain why UK case rates are four times those in Germany and eight times those in France. “If you look across western Europe, we have about ten times more tests done each day than some other countries per head of population,” Pollard told the Commons science and technology committee."

As reported in The Times.

Comment

Seen on TV it appears people having trouble booking their booster jab.

At the moment booking system does not allow people to book who have not reached required 6 months since second jab.

Had no trouble booking mine, received booking EMail first week booster jabs were made available, was on holiday at time so arranged appointment for booster jab on return.

My wife’s 6 months expired 24/10, she received email today 27/10, made booking for 12/11. All jabs taking place at local pharmacy.
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

the booking site is clear

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...id-19-vaccine/

Who can use this service

The NHS will contact you to let you know when you're eligible to use this service.

This will be at least 6 months after your 2nd dose of the vaccine if you're either:
                          You can also use this service if you're a frontline health and social care worker. You'll be able to book an appointment for a booster dose if it's been at least 6 months since your 2nd dose of the vaccine. Important

If you have not been contacted and it's been 6 months and 1 week (190 days) since your 2nd dose, please try to book your appointment using this service.

Covid daily dashboard now has booster info.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Comment

I had my flu jab this morning if that counts

Comment

We have had the booking a booster call. My husband goes for his tomorrow but as I am on blood thinners for the next ten days and am not allowed the jab, I have booked mine for two week's time. All very orderly and 'un problematic'.

Comment

Though I hadn’t got an ‘invite’ after 6 months and 1 week , I went ahead anyway and booked the booster 💉 on the NHS website.

Many thanks to Topdeck for again providing the link in #117.
                                Last edited by All at sea, Yorks; 28th October 2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X