• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Booster jabs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

What sounded odd to me was that booster take up was said to be 50-something per cent in the over 80s and 50-something per cent in the 60 to 65s... but only 30-something per cent in the 70 to 74s...
    I think its that last group who are still awaiting their invites. The group who had their jabs in the latter part of April, as in our experience.

Touch of blame shifting by youknowwho?

Comment

My strapping, ultra-fit, double-jabbed rule- and guidance-following twenty-something son caught Covid a few weeks ago.

He caught it when he had to stop working from home and play sardines with the non-mask-wearing fellow passengers on the train he couldn't avoid.

Wearing a mask wasn't enough to protect himself. It would have been nice not to have to cross his fingers and hope that others displayed some courtesy and common sense.

I firmly believe that leading by example and giving clear and consistent messaging is important. There's too much do as I say and not as I do, I'm afraid. ​​​​​​​

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
        We have just done a shop at Tesco, one of their larger stores, in normal times a 24 hour store and it was fairly busy.

The overwhelming majority of people were wearing masks, those who were not were mainly young mothers, or young couples. Very few of the older generation were not wearing masks.

Staff ratio was about 50/50%. Very few of the personal shopper staff (Those preparing the click and collect and home delivery boxes) were wearing mask and a number of those who were, were wearing them over their chin, not over their mouth or nose.

My wife and I use the same hairdressers saloon in town (Mother & Son) and it is a condition of entry to wear a mask.

I never watched the health secretary’s statement, but then I watch very little in regards to covid, I don’t need politicians or anybody else to be setting me an example, common sense tells me what I need to do.

Our DIL who is a teacher tells us it’s rapidly spreading in schools,
        It's been spreading in schools since they opened.

Some weeks around 45%-50% of all English cases have been in schools

10-14 the rates just keep going up.

todays dashboard has (rolling rate 15 Oct) 10-14 rate of 1,800 per 100k, nearest other group is 15-19 at 800.
        problem is parent age groups are starting to climb.
        over 50's are at 400 over 70's 200

When you look more regionally East midlands 10-14 are 2100

Worst is the South west at 2800 but most other age groups are much lower than the averages.

Can see 1 week off for 1/2 term the data will blip down as testing of kids all but stops if they don't keep self testing when they go back it will start again.

Some focused interventions could have significant effect on reducing rates without much impact on most of the population.

Comment

Just looked more localised.

Bath and North East Somerset has the highest overall rate.

0-14 4700 per 100k (1 in 21 kids testing positive for covid in that area over 7 days.)

That is scary, won't be going there on holiday or flying from any of the local airports during 1/2 term.

Maybe they are hoping this runs rampant through the schools so kids become more immune to infection
          In the mean time they are spreading it to everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
            Just looked more localised.

Bath and North East Somerset has the highest overall rate.

0-14 4700 per 100k (1 in 21 kids testing positive for covid in that area over 7 days.)

That is scary, won't be going there on holiday or flying from any of the local airports during 1/2 term.

Maybe they are hoping this runs rampant through the schools so kids become more immune to infection
            In the mean time they are spreading it to everyone else.
            Is that not the region linked to the lab with 43,000 possibly false negative PCR results??

Annie

Comment

My strapping, ultra-fit, double-jabbed rule- and guidance-following twenty-something son caught Covid a few weeks ago.

He caught it when he had to stop working from home and play sardines with the non-mask-wearing fellow passengers on the train he couldn't avoid.

Wearing a mask wasn't enough to protect himself. It would have been nice not to have to cross his fingers and hope that others displayed some courtesy and common sense.

I firmly believe that leading by example and giving clear and consistent messaging is important. There's too much do as I say and not as I do, I'm afraid.

​​​​
              The common blue masks do not protect the wearer, they are designed to protect others from the wearer.

An FFP2 mask will protect the wearer from others. Plenty on Amazon and no doubt on EBay.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                The common blue masks do not protect the wearer, they are designed to protect others from the wearer.

An FFP2 mask will protect the wearer from others. Plenty on Amazon and no doubt on EBay.
                Thanks for the advice. I think he'd still rather see more people willing to protect others, though, as he has extended that courtesy to them.

Perhaps someone needs to have a word with Rees-Mogg, who seems to think you don't need to wear a mask because you can't catch Covid from your friends and work colleagues!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think he'd still rather see more people willing to protect others, though, as he has extended that courtesy to them.

Perhaps someone needs to have a word with Rees-Mogg, who seems to think you don't need to wear a mask because you can't catch Covid from your friends and work colleagues!!!!
                  Yes, all you need is a convivial fraternal spirit,

Comment

We have appointments next week for the booster plus flu jabs. Thats 7 months on. Like the first two, these are being done at hubs, doctor surgeries are not doing them. It was so very efficient before, I guess it will be the same.

Face coverings are still compulsory in Wales.
                    A few days ago I went into the city centre. I went to a concert, the first since pre pandemic, and it was well organised and distanced. I also used buses, went into shops and had a coffee. In every situation masks were worn by all.

Last month we had a holiday in England. Mask wearing then was sparse.

Comment

Had my third primary covid vaccine 3 weeks ago. Husband had his booster last week. I am having flu jab on Saturday

Comment

A couple of papers are reporting that the interval between 2nd jab and booster may be cut to five months.

Comment

A couple of papers are reporting that the interval between 2nd jab and booster may be cut to five months.
                          Would be handy, would bring my booster forward to November

Comment

You can check if ready here

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...id-19-vaccine/

Our main site seems to be only operating boosters Fri and Sat from the dates offered to those that have been called up.

if you look at the 2nd jab uptake

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deta...by_report_date

Around 11.6m are eligible, April 22 cumulative 2nd.

The rate to keep up needs to be around 56k a day.

anyway found on twitter a couple of good feeds that cover covid Vaxxing data.

https://twitter.com/john_actuary
                            https://twitter.com/COVID19actuary

Points to a Israel report on boosters that is pretty compelling - get your booster.
                            https://www.fda.gov/media/153086/download

if you read some of that twitter feed back a few days and follow links there seems to be evidence that booster from around 5 month would be more sensible.

UKHSA vaccine surveillance reports are here.
                            ​​​​​​​https://www.gov.uk/government/public...llance-reports

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I so wish this generation bashing would stop and to redress the balance, it is the 80 year mask refuseniks that I called out on public transport a few weeks ago. Thankfully 100% mask compliant last week.

My local hair salon has had to issue masks to their newer older clients.

England has been warned, start wearing masks etc or you risk Christmas. Possibly they will await until after Cop26 before reimposing some restrictions.

Lockdown may be over but this b***y pandemic is not finished and oh how I wish I was wrong.

Annie
                              Not "generation bashing", whatever that may be, but my observations seem to be born out by recent stats.

See below, 7 - 24 age groups have considerably higher rates of infection than the 50 - 69 and 70+ age groups.

And a complete lack of consideration for their fellows with no social distancing in the recent Foam Festival at Aberdeen University a couple of days ago.

Comment

Most of those people could very easily be the over 80s.

Their faces are covered in foam!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X