• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They Are at it Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    This popped up on my Google feed.
    some places are still reasonable.

    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...rices-21878259

    Comment


      #17
      The spare bedroom is still half full of toilet rolls from the COVID-19 panic, the bath is full of petrol and we are tripping over bottles of gin, whiskey and Baileys on the stairs. Where am I going to put cases of baked beans, pallets of chocolates and boxes of mince pies?

      Phew, I think I need a lie down in a darkened room for a day or two.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
        The spare bedroom is still half full of toilet rolls from the COVID-19 panic, the bath is full of petrol and we are tripping over bottles of gin, whiskey and Baileys on the stairs. Where am I going to put cases of baked beans, pallets of chocolates and boxes of mince pies?

        Phew, I think I need a lie down in a darkened room for a day or two.
        Quite straightforward John, I keep mine in the Supermarket.

        LMM


        Lawnmowerman

        Comment


          #19
          I'm lucky (or maybe I'm not, as I don't like shopping) to live within walking distance of four major supermarkets, two discount stores, an Iceland and several mini-supermarkets and the availability of products has definitely been patchy in recent weeks with depleted stocks from time to time, reduced choice and sometimes items running out altogether.

          Not a problem for me, with so many stores close to hand, but others are no doubt less fortunate.

          Everyone has their own experiences. I'm struggling to buy a kitchen appliance because of 'supply chain issues' that have been going on a long time, so that problem is very real for me.

          The media can often be cavalier in their reporting, but where there are 'supply chain issues', I think they should report them and they should not be afraid to explain why they exist. Or maybe we should have an official Government newspaper that just tells us what we would like to be the case?

          Comment


            #20
            Don't pop in to W as much these days but when we do there are significant gaps.
            They used to be hot on keeping the shelves and freezers full even during the day.
            Now loads of items not getting the full back fill, freezer sections with various amount of stock, most not full probably 20% ish empty

            Doing a M run today not been there for a while be interesting how they are doing.


            AS an aside W stopped the big discounts and put aside for charities, its not working at ours as the charities won't collect, staff get it for free and loving the new system.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
              I'm lucky (or maybe I'm not, as I don't like shopping) to live within walking distance of four major supermarkets, two discount stores, an Iceland and several mini-supermarkets and the availability of products has definitely been patchy in recent weeks with depleted stocks from time to time, reduced choice and sometimes items running out altogether.

              Not a problem for me, with so many stores close to hand, but others are no doubt less fortunate.

              Everyone has their own experiences. I'm struggling to buy a kitchen appliance because of 'supply chain issues' that have been going on a long time, so that problem is very real for me.

              The media can often be cavalier in their reporting, but where there are 'supply chain issues', I think they should report them and they should not be afraid to explain why they exist. Or maybe we should have an official Government newspaper that just tells us what we would like to be the case?
              You are right, supply chain issues should be reported but it should be in context and in a straight and balanced manner.

              As far as I understand it shortages of energy, truck drivers, goods etc. are worldwide but it is much easier to show shock, horror images of empty supermarket shelves, queues at filling stations etc. rather than put these matters in context.

              Those that say "I live here and am not interested in the rest of the world" and put the blame directly on "the government" should remember John Donne's words 400 years ago "No man is an island". Those words are perhaps even more relevant with today's global economies.

              Comment


                #22
                I'm all in favour of fair and balanced reporting.

                Yes, there are many reasons for our current problems. I'd like to see the media cover them all. Too many are afraid of the B word, I'm sorry to say. That's a reason, for sure, so let's hear it...along with the others, of course.

                You're right that no man is an island, John. I fear, though, that we are now very much an island these days. Increasingly isolated and out of touch. So much for global Britain we were promised.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Maybe global buit many other countries have contingency plans, we meanwhile have buried our heads in the sand.
                  Other countries have not got empty shelves, photos recently of one shop in Belgium and that was later revealed to be because of a strike. CO2 available elsewhere, NI just got it from Dublin, we had to pay out millions to a US firm to keep making fertiliser. NI has had no empty shelves or fuel shortages. Spiralling gas costs, we now hold 5 days storage, the EU has 10 weeks

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    Don't pop in to W as much these days but when we do there are significant gaps.
                    They used to be hot on keeping the shelves and freezers full even during the day.
                    Now loads of items not getting the full back fill, freezer sections with various amount of stock, most not full probably 20% ish empty

                    Doing a M run today not been there for a while be interesting how they are doing.


                    AS an aside W stopped the big discounts and put aside for charities, its not working at ours as the charities won't collect, staff get it for free and loving the new system.
                    I assume W means Waitrose? I have a fortnightly delivery. There are usually about 4 substitutions, usually OK. Dare I say one of them was for Andrex toilet rolls? They hadn't got the ordinary ones, so sent the quilted kind which I don't really like, but they'll do. The only missing item last time was frozen peas. No problem. I can do without as long as I can still get my mushies with fish and chips.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                      Our village Esso filling station........£1.35.9 / litre E10 unleaded
                      £1.41.9 / litre Diesel

                      Inverness though...........................£1.41.9 / litre E10 unleaded
                      £1.42.9 / litre Diesel

                      Supermarkets cheaper but I don't use their fuel. Our village filling station (Esso) fuel is consistently cheaper than Inverness but I suspect when they next refill their E10 unleaded the price will rise - but still cheaper. No price-gouging in our village I'm happy to say.

                      And, with my Fuelpecker Card I save 3p / litre on E10 (4p if you were a diesel user).

                      Heads up for everyone with petrol engined garden tools - the Ethanol in E10 is very corrosive and WILL damage the equipment if not properly maintained (with regard to the fuel).

                      LMM
                      I have a Hayter mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor, and the usual plastic fuel tank. I've had to use E10 as there is no E5 at our local garage. No idea if that will cause damage.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

                        I have a Hayter mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor, and the usual plastic fuel tank. I've had to use E10 as there is no E5 at our local garage. No idea if that will cause damage.
                        I have read that E10 should not be a problem if you use it up regularly, don't have much choice at the moment as some stations only have E10, however I use a tank every 2 days and mix it with E5. I have read there are likely to be problems if you leave it sitting, like over winter, and then the additional ethanol can damage the plastics and rubber.
                        Sure Lawnmowerman would have more oinfo.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

                          I have a Hayter mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor, and the usual plastic fuel tank. I've had to use E10 as there is no E5 at our local garage. No idea if that will cause damage.
                          ALL fuels with Ethanol can cause damage to machinery not suited to it. E5 has UP TO 5% Ethanol.

                          There is a misconception around fuel stabilisers. Pump fuel starts to deteriorate after 6 or 7 weeks and adding a fuel stabiliser can extend its usability to 6 months. It DOES NOT neutralise the Ethanol so this risk remains.

                          When dealing with fuel with Ethanol, it is essential that no fuel is left in the machine beyond 30 days. It is not enough to empty the tank because fuel will be left in the carburettor. To empty the carburettor simply run the engine until it stops.

                          When dealing with 2 stroke engines there is another factor. As fuel evaporates over time, the 2 stroke oil element of the mix does not and can congeal in the fine jets and galleries of the carburettor. Over time this builds up and renders the carburettor useless. I have seen machines at 9 months old requiring a replacement carburettor for this very reason.

                          Alternatively, Stihl have a patented fuel for 4 stroke engines and ready mixed for 2 strokes that contains NO ethanol. Bonus is that it can stay usable for up to 5 years. For balance, Aspen produce a fuel with no Ethanol but are a bit coy about its shelf life.

                          LMM


                          Lawnmowerman

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

                            I assume W means Waitrose? I have a fortnightly delivery. There are usually about 4 substitutions, usually OK. Dare I say one of them was for Andrex toilet rolls? They hadn't got the ordinary ones, so sent the quilted kind which I don't really like, but they'll do. The only missing item last time was frozen peas. No problem. I can do without as long as I can still get my mushies with fish and chips.
                            W == Waitrose
                            M == Morrisons
                            T == Tesco
                            S == Sainsbury's
                            A == Asda

                            Our M was not too busy but going through a complete refurb inside and out.
                            Probably the new competition opening before Xmas very close
                            Took ages to find what I was looking for but they have shrunk the beer section, pretty well stocked most goods.

                            Nearby Aldi had the beer very busy and everything fully stocked with loads of pallets refilling when the staff could get off the tills

                            Our little M&S is still delivering the discounted foods in abundance to keep us going.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

                              ALL fuels with Ethanol can cause damage to machinery not suited to it. E5 has UP TO 5% Ethanol.

                              There is a misconception around fuel stabilisers. Pump fuel starts to deteriorate after 6 or 7 weeks and adding a fuel stabiliser can extend its usability to 6 months. It DOES NOT neutralise the Ethanol so this risk remains.

                              When dealing with fuel with Ethanol, it is essential that no fuel is left in the machine beyond 30 days. It is not enough to empty the tank because fuel will be left in the carburettor. To empty the carburettor simply run the engine until it stops.

                              When dealing with 2 stroke engines there is another factor. As fuel evaporates over time, the 2 stroke oil element of the mix does not and can congeal in the fine jets and galleries of the carburettor. Over time this builds up and renders the carburettor useless. I have seen machines at 9 months old requiring a replacement carburettor for this very reason.

                              Alternatively, Stihl have a patented fuel for 4 stroke engines and ready mixed for 2 strokes that contains NO ethanol. Bonus is that it can stay usable for up to 5 years. For balance, Aspen produce a fuel with no Ethanol but are a bit coy about its shelf life.

                              LMM
                              I hear what you say but this is not really practical for the average gardener. My lawn takes about half an hour and a tank full of petrol lasts several months. I never drain the fuel out at the end of the season and it usually starts 2nd or 3rd pull of the cord the next year.

                              What is a practical solution?

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Not wanting to be accused of scaremongering but now might be the time to panic

                                One of my locals will run out of gas beginning of next week

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X