• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No longer we for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post


    I went down the printed route.

    my fav is the Aus BBQ. only £1 with filter pocket

    CLPXCFFFM-BBQ_P2.jpg



    You've changed since we met on the forum cruise...

    Garf

    Comment


      #17
      I wear disposable masks and change them for each shop I enter! Maybe a bit OTT but I see it as safety for me and others. If I do all my shopping on Saturday then I need five masks and I buy them in packs of 50. They have the wire bit over the nose and when folded properly it forms a light V shape which stops my glasses steaming up. I tried cloth ones which I found were suffocating and this hot weather must make them most uncomfortable. On a lighter note, I see so many elderly people with the mask just over their mouths it makes me want to scream! I will continue to not only wear a mask but also disposable gloves which I also change for each shop I enter, buying them in boxes of 100. They make me feel less vulnerable when handling trolleys or items in shops and protect others from any germs I might carry.

      Comment


        #18
        I use fabric masks which get washed each time after use and popped out on the line in the sun to dry, till next time. We also bought some packs of disposable gloves (blue ones) from M & S foodstore and wear those whilst in the shop. I’ve seen too many people over time deliberately ignoring their sanitiser and trolley cleaning stand at the entrance. And also some shoppers touching half a dozen items before selecting just one.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

          You've changed since we met on the forum cruise...

          Garf

          Once you start losing your hair you never get it back

          Comment


            #20
            I made an edit on my post, entering the word black to explain my facial masks colour, and the post was marked unapproved.

            This is my second go.

            I always thought the purpose of wearing a mask was to protect others not yourself, as they offer very little protection to the wearer, irrespective of how many layers.

            Me and masks tend not to get along so although I am compliant, I try to keep the wearing of them to a minimum, these days it’s mainly shops including takeaways and supermarkets. My barber and my wife’s hairdresser (same shop) even after tomorrow are going to continue with customers having to wear masks. We have used them on entering/ leaving restaurants, have only sat in the garden of our local pub, so mask not needed. We don’t use public transport and tend to avoid queues and crowds,

            In regards to type of masks, have tried the blue throw away masks, metal strip you bend to go across bridge of nose has never stopped my glasses from misting, cloth masks irrespective of number of layers are the worst, they cause me breathing problems. So much so when wearing one, I had to leave my wife in a supermarket, whilst I rushed outside to get some fresh air, thought I was going to pass out.

            My masks of choice are cheap ones purchased from Home Bargains, they are made of a black silk like material and extremely light and stretchable. One of these I always keep in my trousers/jeans/shorts pocket together with my wallet which goes with me everywhere.🤗😎
            Delboy


            Photo Albums

            https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

            or

            https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
              I honestly think it is down to luck whether you catch it or not. A month ago my friend caught it and she is double jabbed, I was sat talking to her, so was her sister, we didn't catch it and neither did her husband and 2 weeks ago I meant up with relations, 25 of us in a garden. 8 have since gone down with covid, the others are fine.

              I will continue to wear a mask on public transport and in supermarkets, but not in restaurants. I think it's ridiculous that you can walk to your table with mask, sometimes less than 5 steps, then take mask off, then put it on again to move. So unless they say they want me to wear it, I won't .................................................. Carol
              Did no one come up positive when you did the pre meetup testing?

              With 8 people reporting their positive into T&T and the app with 24 close contacts on that day they should be all over everyone by now.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                I use fabric masks which get washed each time after use and popped out on the line in the sun to dry, till next time. We also bought some packs of disposable gloves (blue ones) from M & S foodstore and wear those whilst in the shop. I’ve seen too many people over time deliberately ignoring their sanitiser and trolley cleaning stand at the entrance. And also some shoppers touching half a dozen items before selecting just one.
                We don't all defy the sanitiser stations. If I didn't have eczema, I would use the sanitiser on offer but the palms of my hands are wrecked due to over use of the stuff and as I have had eighteen months out of the last two years with out of control eczema, I am trying desperately to get rid of cracked palms as my knee op has been cancelled twice due to eczema and I have no intention of it being cancelled again!
                I don't wear gloves either so I guess that's me for the naughty step!

                Comment


                  #23
                  We are in the Cotswolds at the moment. Beautiful place and jam packed everywhere. All the local shops and restaurants have all said that at the moment, to protect their staff and customers. No one will be allowed in without either a clear visor or mask. I am happy to comply with this. I don’t use public transport, but if I did I would have no problem wearing a mask. . Stay safe everyone

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

                    We don't all defy the sanitiser stations. If I didn't have eczema, I would use the sanitiser on offer but the palms of my hands are wrecked due to over use of the stuff and as I have had eighteen months out of the last two years with out of control eczema, I am trying desperately to get rid of cracked palms as my knee op has been cancelled twice due to eczema and I have no intention of it being cancelled again!
                    I don't wear gloves either so I guess that's me for the naughty step!
                    Have never worn a pair of gloves to go shopping always use the sanitiser, could never get those throw away gloves on. When we were first advised to regularly wash hands and use sanitiser, which caused a supply shortage of soap and sanitiser I washed them so much it took the skin off the back of my hands

                    A number of Supermarkets, I know Asda does, now use a new type of shopping trolley with handles which no longer needs sanitising. Well that’s what it says on the labels attached to the trolley.

                    I wonder after tomorrow if supermarkets will still provide sanitiser stations ?
                    Delboy


                    Photo Albums

                    https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

                    or

                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I don't use gloves, but sanitize my hands when entering shops. We don't have a need to use public transportation, but masks are mandatory on buses and trains. Most supermarkets and big box stores here have a security guard ensuring that nobody enters without a mask. Face shields are only accepted with an exemption note from a doctor. I actually haven't seen anyone without a mask in a store, although a few slide them under their nose once inside. Someone usually reminds them, either a staff member or another customer. I don't think I would approach anyone myself, I would just avoid them. you never know what reaction you would get.

                      Sheila

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Here in the wonderful UK where everyone follows the rules impeccably, we're not allowed to challenge the 'I'm medically exempt' non maskers and they don't have to provide a medical note to prove their exempt status!

                        From the horse's mouth, sorry, official mouthpiece

                        Those who have an age, health or disability reason not to wear a face covering should not be routinely asked to provide any written evidence of this. Written evidence includes exemption cards.

                        Now I KNOW folk who have asthma and wear a mask to protect themselves, my son being one of them, just as I know two people who ''have asthma'' and don't wear a mask and in a pig's eye they have asthma!!!!
                        So to rely on that oxymoron 'common sense' as far as being sensible/wearing masks etc etc etc etc tomorrow, is a total joke. I await the next mask edict. Shall we take bets on when it's going to reappear?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Early on I wore gloves including to an M and S food store. I was in the queue outside and a stroppy assistant (I think managerial level) came along the line and asked me rudely if I had washed or sanitised the gloves. I said no. She told me again, rudely to take them off, which I did - and have never worn any shopping since. Bare hands were necessary as was using the sanitiser (which I did). It was all so public, I thought I was doing things correctly but on this occasion I felt very humiliated.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

                            We don't all defy the sanitiser stations. If I didn't have eczema, I would use the sanitiser on offer but the palms of my hands are wrecked due to over use of the stuff and as I have had eighteen months out of the last two years with out of control eczema, I am trying desperately to get rid of cracked palms as my knee op has been cancelled twice due to eczema and I have no intention of it being cancelled again!
                            I don't wear gloves either so I guess that's me for the naughty step!
                            Eczema is a very painful and unpleasant complaint and I hope you are able to bring it under control. In the early days of Face, Hands and Space (don’t hear it mentioned these days!) my hands particularly along the knuckles were getting very sore and needed lots of moisturising. But we’ve been using, amongst others, M&S’s Moisturising Antibacterial Hand Wash, in a straight sided bottle, not the round one. I’ve found it very effective in cleansing and moisturising in one go.

                            But wearing M&S’s gloves means I don’t have to slop on any cheap sanitiser on my hands, it goes on the gloves instead!

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                              Here in the wonderful UK where everyone follows the rules impeccably, we're not allowed to challenge the 'I'm medically exempt' non maskers and they don't have to provide a medical note to prove their exempt status!

                              From the horse's mouth, sorry, official mouthpiece

                              Those who have an age, health or disability reason not to wear a face covering should not be routinely asked to provide any written evidence of this. Written evidence includes exemption cards.

                              Now I KNOW folk who have asthma and wear a mask to protect themselves, my son being one of them, just as I know two people who ''have asthma'' and don't wear a mask and in a pig's eye they have asthma!!!!
                              So to rely on that oxymoron 'common sense' as far as being sensible/wearing masks etc etc etc etc tomorrow, is a total joke. I await the next mask edict. Shall we take bets on when it's going to reappear?
                              I am in England this weekend. We have just been to a ticketed public family event. Although it was open air I was amazed at the lack (almost total absence) of masks and distancing. Especially as people sought shade there was too much huddling in my humble opinion. When I went inside to the loo I was the only one in a mask.

                              As I understand it, the "freedom" rules dont even begin in England until tomorrow.
                              In Wales face coverings are still required by law, not discretionary according to common sense. Whether that will encourage some to wear them above chin level is doubtful.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post

                                Eczema is a very painful and unpleasant complaint and I hope you are able to bring it under control. In the early days of Face, Hands and Space (don’t hear it mentioned these days!) my hands particularly along the knuckles were getting very sore and needed lots of moisturising. But we’ve been using, amongst others, M&S’s Moisturising Antibacterial Hand Wash, in a straight sided bottle, not the round one. I’ve found it very effective in cleansing and moisturising in one go.

                                But wearing M&S’s gloves means I don’t have to slop on any cheap sanitiser on my hands, it goes on the gloves instead!
                                It is painful. It can't be deemed unsightly as no one can see it as I'm not into shaking hands etc but the cracking is so hard to control and the Dermovate corticosteroid ointment I have gets everywhere when I use it during the day.
                                I don't want to go back onto steroids as my immune system took a bit of a battering late'19/20 so avoiding irritants is all I can do. I blame the horseflies which set up a severe allergic reaction which exacerbated the eczema.. Add shingles into the mix summer '19 and my skin was a real basket case!

                                Soap and water and loads of emollient. I'll get there but without any sanitiser. I was asked to sanitise the other day as we entered a rather smart shop. I just showed them my hands and they let me off!!

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X