• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No longer we for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No longer we for us

We have complied with every latest instruction for covid to the best of our ability. In particular we have worn the blue disposable masks wherever we went, not to protect us but to protect others. We not me.

With the easing of restrictions it is reported a major proportion of the public will ditch masks and social distancing.

To protect us in this latest situation we are changing to FFP2 (Full Face Protection 2) masks which give considerably greater protection to the wearer. They are much closer fitting, have been used by some industries for many years and have similar performance to N95 masks. They will still protect others but more important will give us greater protection, particularly on public transport and in busy shops etc.

They are readily available from that well known river store in South America and we have chosen a Hard brand actually made in Germany at £19.99 for 20. No, I have no financial interest!

I have a cheaper and far more effective method. I will not be going on Public Transport and will not be going in anywhere busy. Not until this wave is ridden out or after the next lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      We have complied with every latest instruction for covid to the best of our ability. In particular we have worn the blue disposable masks wherever we went, not to protect us but to protect others. We not me.

With the easing of restrictions it is reported a major proportion of the public will ditch masks and social distancing.

To protect us in this latest situation we are changing to FFP2 (Full Face Protection 2) masks which give considerably greater protection to the wearer. They are much closer fitting, have been used by some industries for many years and have similar performance to N95 masks. They will still protect others but more important will give us greater protection, particularly on public transport and in busy shops etc.

They are readily available from that well known river store in South America and we have chosen a Hard brand actually made in Germany at £19.99 for 20. No, I have no financial interest!
      I presume at that price they are not single use only?

Comment

Hi John
        I think I may have one of these buried in the garage regularly used during my working life……..works in Chlorine gas,should be OK with Covid.
        FBBC827D-AE16-48A0-A22F-21C3EC25F6AC.jpeg
        Or I suspect you mean one of these I wore at the start of the pandemic,,,,I found the blue cloth ones easier to stuff in every pocket,the N95.

1DF2B4DC-81E4-4E83-91DC-A0ACD730676B.jpeg
        JC
        Attached Files
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill Nickson, Albox View Post

I presume at that price they are not single use only?
          They are described as for Single use which probably means a half day shift in an industrial environment. For the odd bus ride or busy shop for 10 minutes can probably be reused a few times.

Comment

I am with the just avoid,

everywhere we go has its quiet times when we visit will see how that goes for a while.

FFP == filtering face piece (NOT full face)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFP_standards

Comment

This may be disgusting but I still have THE SAME blue one in my pocket for the past year, I bought a packet of 10 back in the day and still have eight left!! OH doesnt keep one in his pocket so he is always being given them .............. I think with mine I have just got it to my nose shape and it doesnt mist up my glasses so much........sorry if you are eating x

Comment

I honestly think it is down to luck whether you catch it or not. A month ago my friend caught it and she is double jabbed, I was sat talking to her, so was her sister, we didn't catch it and neither did her husband and 2 weeks ago I meant up with relations, 25 of us in a garden. 8 have since gone down with covid, the others are fine.

I will continue to wear a mask on public transport and in supermarkets, but not in restaurants. I think it's ridiculous that you can walk to your table with mask, sometimes less than 5 steps, then take mask off, then put it on again to move. So unless they say they want me to wear it, I won't .................................................. Carol

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                  This may be disgusting but I still have THE SAME blue one in my pocket for the past year, I bought a packet of 10 back in the day and still have eight left!! OH doesnt keep one in his pocket so he is always being given them .............. I think with mine I have just got it to my nose shape and it doesnt mist up my glasses so much........sorry if you are eating x

I went down the printed route.

my fav is the Aus BBQ. only £1 with filter pocket

CLPXCFFFM-BBQ_P2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                    Really ? I know my blue mask at work mists my glasses up so I fold a tissue carefully and place it under the nose bridge to keep my glasses clear. As I work at a hospital I get a fresh one every morning when I enter. I’ve seen the odd patient who has grabbed a handful to bring home rather than purchasing any 😳. At the start of the pandemic I made a whole bunch of washable masks from some of my hubby’s old dress shirts that have a close fit. They can be popped in a lingerie bag and get washed every week. There is really no excuse for not having a clean mask. Sorry.

Take care. Helen😷

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post

Really ? I know my blue mask at work mists my glasses up so I fold a tissue carefully and place it under the nose bridge to keep my glasses clear. As I work at a hospital I get a fresh one every morning when I enter. I’ve seen the odd patient who has grabbed a handful to bring home rather than purchasing any 😳. At the start of the pandemic I made a whole bunch of washable masks from some of my hubby’s old dress shirts that have a close fit. They can be popped in a lingerie bag and get washed every week. There is really no excuse for not having a clean mask. Sorry.

Take care. Helen😷
                      Don't they have a strip on the top that you fold to fit over your nose. I have used hundreds and as long as I fold the strip and fit under the glasses I get no misting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post

Take care. Helen😷
                        I do the same and as for masks, I go one further and have a fresh blue mask under my regular Amaia masks when I go for a big shop or in the occasional other public indoor places I feel slightly uncomfortable in. I'm with Andy on the public transport issue.

Comment

I made three layer cloth masks for family and friends at the beginning of the pandemic and wear those for short times like moving around our building and quick grocery trips. They are washable, but do get rather hot in our summer weather. The blue disposable ones are cooler and one will last me a day. We are both fully vaccinated but intend to continue wearing masks as long as they are recommended. I can’t see any reason to take risks for myself or for other people.

Sheila

Comment

It's reported that school kids wanting time off are creating false positives by contaminating the test with orange juice. Other substances including cola and ketchup also work. We have had a surge in our town, mainly centred on our large secondary school. Wonder why? In my day a sick note with parent's signature was the way to go!

Comment

Positive LF should have PCR follow up to weed out the false positives.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X