• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely Ridiculous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely Ridiculous

These prices will drive away holiday makers from Cornwall and it's all down to the greedy few........or is it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-families.html

I remember we planned to go to Cornwall in 1999 for the total eclipse of the sun.

We didn't go, because of the outrageous prices for accommodation, and there were reports of profiteering then.

We ended up going to France to see it, where prices were normal.

Comment

If anybody is stupid enough to pay these prices, good luck to them. We had the best holiday let cottage, complete with hot tub, we've ever had in Devon for around £750 for a week. No way would I even consider paying these ridiculous prices.

Comment

I think this is perfectly acceptable, price reflects demand at the time.

Any different to the price in Feb to Aug seasonal differences.

They could auction to highest bidder as an alternative.

Once Cornwall is full people will have to look elsewhere and those prices will go up as well as demand increases everywhere.

but when you look a bit deeper a bit like cruise anyone can find the high price options the trick is finding the deals(ie. be flexible)

Report says £3.3k for a 2bed caravan near Newquay Aug

found this in cornwall for £1,600 (near sharps brewery so can't be too bad.)

founds a 3bed in wales for £2k

that's just one park operator.

Using hotel .com found a holiday home(2A,2C) for a week in Au,g Newquay for £1,500
        http://www.booking.com/Share-S7hGeg

Comment

I read that July accommodation prices in many places are up 30 per cent, on average, on July 2019.

Market forces... but a shame for cash-strapped people who are told to forget about holidays abroad and to enjoy a great British staycation instead.

Comment

Prices to the popular places are high but a bit of flexibility and being prepared to use a car there are still some decent rates out there

We have done the west midlands
            there is this for
            https://clarabels.co.uk/
            available Aug <£500 for 4 and <£400 for 2 adults.

Looked at St Ives Holiday Village £260 for a week in Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
              Prices to the popular places are high but a bit of flexibility and being prepared to use a car there are still some decent rates out there

We have done the west midlands
              there is this for
              https://clarabels.co.uk/
              available Aug <£500 for 4 and <£400 for 2 adults.

Looked at St Ives Holiday Village £260 for a week in Sept.
              I am going to employ you as my personal travel agent!

Comment

I would sooner stay in my garden (again ) than pay silly money to greedy hoteliers etc etc.......... I dont mind payin a bit extra but some people are taking the piddle!!! To be fair its always been expensive to holiday at home, but this year, forget it.......

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

I think one trick is practice, look for things you are not bothered about and do things like very wide searches but sort on price and just see what comes up.

File away in your head, I did one a few years back and there were silly cheap options to Cuba using spare virgin flights.

Cuba come up again on a recent search of TUI holidays(not sure about there ATM)

I do it a lot with cruises start with the cheapest pppd and then look for something interesting.

One issue currently is you can find something cheap but can't always sail, if parts of the EU open up to vaccinated pax that will potentialy open up cruises from those countries.

Fancy a 7n AI cruise for £494pp? leaves Friday (vaccinated lateral flow at the port)
                  that's a Southampton one the newcastle are a little more.

Comment

Price the accommodation per person.
                    Some of the very expensive properties, charging thousands for a week, often take a number of people, perhaps double figures. The per person rate is usually much cheaper than a hotel. The larger places will usually have more amenities, a pool or tub, large grounds, multiple bathrooms, possibly 2 kitchens, all suitable for more than one household of family or friends to share room and costs.
                    As with so many things, looking through countless property details last year and this you get what you pay for.

We have booked a house. The overall cost is not cheap (but we are not cruising this year!) but it sleeps 6 with good facilities, is well equipped, has 2 bathrooms, nice gardens, good location. There will be only 2 of us but this is our preference over somewhere smaller, cheaper and less well appointed. We will be paying for 6 people not 2.

Comment

I have been following the pricing on some of the cruises we have booked. Some of the cabin prices were absolutely bonkers compared to the prices we have booked with.

Supply and demand [at the moment]?

Comment

Talking cruise....

There are a lot of people with locked in money where they took the credit over refund.

I suspect the p&o 40n deal got a lot of those off their books.

the trick if you have to book is go long most cruise line let you move to an earlier trip if you fancy one.

Probably similar with other holidays.
                        ​​​​

Comment

We booked a cottage in Cornwall for September and luckily haven't paid anywhere near those prices but we did book it a few months ago. We used Vrbo to book , same company we used last year and there's no way we would have paid over inflated prices.

Apparently prices for the Christmas period are shooting up as people try to book larger properties for a big family get together. It's something we thought about as our family is spread out across the country but not this year.
                          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

We had a 4 night stay in Charlestown, Cornwall last month for the same price (£450) we were quoted last year at the same time (but obviously had to cancel). The owner is one of the good guys, not seeking to hike their prices. The price remains the same whether 2 or 4 people go.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

Marella from Newcastle are droppiing in price

16 July is reasonable at £68pppn itinerary suspect as it includes Scottish ports.
                              https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/forum...29#post1437629

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X