• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Except that now that it is not mandatory, there will be an awful lot of people who will not care if anyone is uncomfortable or not. They don't need to wear one, then they won't. Enough of them on the trains now even when they are supposed to, no way will they bother in future.
    What hope if they need to be reintroduced in the future as Israel has needed to do.
    Yes I totally agree. I don't expect to see many masks on our local train.

​​​​​​I doubt Boris Johnson and his cabinet spend much time squashing themselves onto unavoidable public transport, and being removed from reality is part of the problem.

I think it would have been better to keep mask wearing as a requirement for the time being.

Wearing one has not stopped me eating out and going to the cinema and shops, putting money into the pockets of local businesses.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    We couldn't keep the Alpha (very likely home grown ) varient under control.

you can't keep them out

It's been a free for all in Ibiza supposed to be green.
    You can apply the brakes and slow down the seeding of a new variant with good border controls.

Cases on the Balearic Islands are spiking - school/college leavers holding end of term parties.

However I understand the figure of 50,000 daily cases was mentioned at the press conference announcing the relaxation of restrictions.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Sounds good to me and what I would do too.

I was asked by an elderly neighbour today, if I will still wear a mask once the restrictions are lifted. When I said that I would on public transport and in shops, she was most surprised. The lady in question is taking the stance that at her age, she will do as she likes and hates wearing masks. She hasn't considered other people at all.
    I had a similar experience locally.

A shop assistant recently asked an elderly lady to put her mask on properly (it was round her chin!).

She replied: "Oh, but I don't like the feel of it on my face!"

I do think there could have been more messaging emphasis, in recent months, on wearing a mask to protect OTHERS.

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
    At today's press conference, Chris Whitty said he would wear a mask in 3 situations:

A) in crowded indoor spaces;

B) when asked to do so by authorities; and

C) when in the company of someone who was uncomfortable with his not wearing one.
    ​​​​
    A clear enough answer. I guess he took the trouble to anticipate the question.

​​​​
    Except that now that it is not mandatory, there will be an awful lot of people who will not care if anyone is uncomfortable or not. They don't need to wear one, then they won't. Enough of them on the trains now even when they are supposed to, no way will they bother in future.
    What hope if they need to be reintroduced in the future as Israel has needed to do.
    Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 5th July 2021, 08:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
    At today's press conference, Chris Whitty said he would wear a mask in 3 situations:

C) when in the company of someone who was uncomfortable with his not wearing one.
    ​​​​

​​​​
    Sounds good to me and what I would do too.

I was asked by an elderly neighbour today, if I will still wear a mask once the restrictions are lifted. When I said that I would on public transport and in shops, she was most surprised. The lady in question is taking the stance that at her age, she will do as she likes and hates wearing masks. She hasn't considered other people at all.

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied

​​​​

​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied

There was no lack of foresight, they knew exactly what they were doing. We were not negotiating a trade deal with Pakistan
    In that case, they lacked the foresight to see what was important and in hindsight, they might see that!

Or there again, they might not.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied

Eastern cultures wear masks having been through this before. It is also out of politeness and respect for others, something we are seriously lacking.
    Some Japanese passengers, for example have worn masks around QV for years, especially in the theatre. I might be joining them with my mask next year!

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I feel for anyone involved in face to face interaction with 'the public'.

I help in a coffee shop and I get antsy when folk come up close, to pay, especially the odd few who are maskless. We're not allowed to question the lack of masks and quite frankly, it will make me think twice of volunteering in such close proximity to more than the odd maskless person.
    That's for a couple of hours a week. Think of those who have to do this for a full working day.
    Eastern cultures wear masks having been through this before. It is also out of politeness and respect for others, something we are seriously lacking.

Leave a comment:

• Mason, Altrincham
    replied
    I’m pretty sure we will be required to wear our masks at work regardless of the pronouncements from the government. We have our Perspex screens up and yes, it can make hearing what some of the patients say nearly impossible when we are wearing masks, but we know we have to keep the patients safe as well as ourselves. I do have to take my mask off behind my screen sometimes in order to help someone who can’t understand me without lip reading. I also have to take my mask off when doing my screening calls if I know the patients I am ringing are elderly or possibly hard of hearing. Thankfully most of our patients are fully vaccinated as are we.

As I said in another post, we will continue to wear our masks on public transport and in supermarkets and crowded places.

Take care. Helen

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Of course it made sense and in hindsight, I'm sure those who avoided that decision might agree. Whatever the decision, hindsight is very useful for beating those who lacked the foresight, up
    There was no lack of foresight, they knew exactly what they were doing. We were not negotiating a trade deal with Pakistan

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
    I will continue to wear a mask in shops and crowded locations. I saw a friend today who works in the garden centre I worked in. She said customers are already taking their masks off when they go to the outside areas (plants) and standing really close when asking for advice or paying for purchases and getting quite nasty when asked to keep their distance. It's not fair on shop staff and other public facing personnel. How difficult can it be to wear a mask to keep the people serving you safe?

Barb
    I feel for anyone involved in face to face interaction with 'the public'.

I help in a coffee shop and I get antsy when folk come up close, to pay, especially the odd few who are maskless. We're not allowed to question the lack of masks and quite frankly, it will make me think twice of volunteering in such close proximity to more than the odd maskless person.
    That's for a couple of hours a week. Think of those who have to do this for a full working day.

Leave a comment:

• BandN, Markyate
    replied
    I will continue to wear a mask in shops and crowded locations. I saw a friend today who works in the garden centre I worked in. She said customers are already taking their masks off when they go to the outside areas (plants) and standing really close when asking for advice or paying for purchases and getting quite nasty when asked to keep their distance. It's not fair on shop staff and other public facing personnel. How difficult can it be to wear a mask to keep the people serving you safe?

Barb

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
    I'm aware of the definition of hindsight.I was merely pointing out that its not merely the benefit of hindsight in this case.If it made sense to close the flights to Pakistan it made sense to close it to India.Nothing to do with hindsight.The fact that the variant is elsewhere is an issue, but infection rates differ as do infections. The crisis in India was and is pretty much the worst everywhere.
    Of course it made sense and in hindsight, I'm sure those who avoided that decision might agree. Whatever the decision, hindsight is very useful for beating those who lacked the foresight, up

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    I'm aware of the definition of hindsight.I was merely pointing out that its not merely the benefit of hindsight in this case.If it made sense to close the flights to Pakistan it made sense to close it to India.Nothing to do with hindsight.The fact that the variant is elsewhere is an issue, but infection rates differ as do infections. The crisis in India was and is pretty much the worst everywhere.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X