• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only watched last night briefing once(might change my thoughts on a second viewing).

Having slept on it can't help think this is a setup to reduce accountability going forward.

When(if?) it all goes wrong we will get the well we wanted to let the people take back responsibility and you let us down.

I don't know the right answer but do agree we have a window over the summer.

Schools shut(they are a big problem when open), case rates in 10-19 age group are higher than only 2 of the peak weeks sitting at 75% of peak week

I think we are hearing the schools proposals today

20-29 are higher than 6 of the peek weeks sitting at 45% of peak week
    (week old data so expect those to go up)

clear message avoid school kids and young adults.

Also probably worth trying the contacts isolate on positive test with compulsory testing OR isolate.

All for the retention of mask on public transport and public building especially NHS establishments.

I would also like to see social distance measure retained in hospitality, screens don't take up a lot of room

pubs having a free for all, no masks, return to standing, order at bar are going to need to be avoided.
    (we go when it is not busy so should be ok if they keep table service)

Any relaxed measures do give those areas that are still under a bit of control a chance to catch up with the higher rate areas.
    My small local area has gone from 30-200/100k in a week trying to play catchup.
    (not got a breakdown by age but suspect youngsters we have plenty of families in the 10k that live here)

even the scotish island s that were covid free have lost that status.

Comment

I rarely go to pubs, but what is the attraction of ordering at the bar?

Is the issue that venues don't have the staff to maintain table service? Or is ordering at the bar an important freedom? I genuinely don't know!

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

Is the issue that venues don't have the staff to maintain table service? Or is ordering at the bar an important freedom? I genuinely don't know!
        is hospitality the issue?? I suspect having a few friends round watching the footie whilst enjoying the occasional adult beverage is more of an issue.

Annie

PS In Scotland hospitality businesses are having an issue finding and retaining staff.

Comment

From someone on R5

Talking to Nicky Campbell, he says: "If you want me to wear a mask, you can get off the bus and walk to work... I'm suggesting that the better course of action would be for you to sit somewhere else, or to get off the bus.

"People need to take responsibility for their own lives, they can't tell other people [what to do] to make themselves feel better," he adds.

This is how it is going to be from now on...........

Comment

Hi Sandra.
            Instant Gratification.
            I went to a pub last week for something to eat,,I was there for 3 hours,I had 4 pints,,,,,in 3 hours I would usually have more.
            Every time the waitress disappeared with our drink order she must have been reading a chapter of War & Peace before bringing us our drinks.
            Its the same on cruise ships when the waiter (it’s usually a waiter) disappeares into that room behind the bar.
            Plus if I order a Cava for my wife on a ship I like to make sure it is decent Cava/Bubbly and not house Prosecco.
            The same in a pub if I order a blended spirit,,,I want to see them give me a Jameson and not a shot of Bargain Booze whiskey.

D7363F00-8B3D-4BBC-B6B2-D335DB92D105.jpeg
            JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I shall continue to wear a mask , I haven't had a heavy cold since the outbreak , which is unusual for me, also to protect my OH .
              sigpic

Comment

We much prefer the move to table service, can order on the app or call someone for cash/card sale.

it can be very variable on the level of service and attention even on the same day.
                Our preferred venue is average to poor our away day options they are good to average

as a regular the one issue the new staff don't know how important we are they need extra training

There can be a big issue with time from order to delivery when busy, as they are running food as well as the drinks.
                We get round this by being "smart". and adapting to the conditions of the day.

Order 2 at a time, then depending on how variable the timing seem to be typical between 2-20mins we order part way through the second pint.
                we don't do group rounds so once out of step we have staff visiting the table every 10-15mins depending how many we are, (schedule is 1pt/30mins)

our place has set up with bar staff preparing the orders and runners taking orders and table service
                They have got a bit lax and if you see the runners are too busy you can fetch your drinks.

The other issue is some of the new staff are very young and don't really know how hospitality needs to work and don't know drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                  Only watched last night briefing once(might change my thoughts on a second viewing).

Having slept on it can't help think this is a setup to reduce accountability going forward.

When(if?) it all goes wrong we will get the well we wanted to let the people take back responsibility and you let us down.

I don't know the right answer but do agree we have a window over the summer.

Schools shut(they are a big problem when open), case rates in 10-19 age group are higher than only 2 of the peak weeks sitting at 75% of peak week

I think we are hearing the schools proposals today

20-29 are higher than 6 of the peek weeks sitting at 45% of peak week
                  (week old data so expect those to go up)

clear message avoid school kids and young adults.

Also probably worth trying the contacts isolate on positive test with compulsory testing OR isolate.

All for the retention of mask on public transport and public building especially NHS establishments.

I would also like to see social distance measure retained in hospitality, screens don't take up a lot of room

pubs having a free for all, no masks, return to standing, order at bar are going to need to be avoided.
                  (we go when it is not busy so should be ok if they keep table service)

Any relaxed measures do give those areas that are still under a bit of control a chance to catch up with the higher rate areas.
                  My small local area has gone from 30-200/100k in a week trying to play catchup.
                  (not got a breakdown by age but suspect youngsters we have plenty of families in the 10k that live here)

even the scotish island s that were covid free have lost that status.
                  the thoughts of John Campbell and others, has the Government adopted the policy of Herd Immunity?

Annie

Comment

Herd immunity, against severe disease we are there already.
                    (England devolved nations are a bit behind)

Modelling from 2 jabs antibody presence is over 85% for the 50+ and 95% 60+

35+ 1 jab/infection models suggest 95% have antibody.

That all the vulnerable ages covered well into herd levels..

Below that age sever disease is less common anyway and modelling suggest over 50% have antibodes in the 16-34 age groups and 18+ the jabs are catching up so that will climb quickly.

Comment

Herd immunity, against severe disease we are there already.
                      (England devolved nations are a bit behind)

Modelling from 2 jabs antibody presence is over 85% for the 50+ and 95% 60+

35+ 1 jab/infection models suggest 95% have antibody.

That all the vulnerable ages covered well into herd levels..

Below that age sever disease is less common anyway and modelling suggest over 50% have antibodes in the 16-34 age groups and 18+ the jabs are catching up so that will climb quickly.

Apologies - I should have clarified. Herd Immunity against Covid 19 not just against severe disease.

It might save the cost of booster.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Apologies - I should have clarified. Herd Immunity against Covid 19 not just against severe disease.

It might save the cost of booster.

Annie
                        Little difference as people will still be testing positive and getting symptoms even at 100% with a level of antibodies as good as double jabbed.

The key data point is when you are stopping too many people getting sick enough to need hospital and I think we are there already for the majority.

As I said for 35+ we are very close to 100% anyway, not much more you can do for them other than monitor.

even with the gaps the total coverage is 79%-89% already.

The 18-34 gap is getting filled with jabs so that will bring the overall up

There is a antibody gap with <18 and filling that with acquired rather than vaccine is not that unreasonable if they really don't get sick when numbers go up
                        cases already at 75% of the last peak another couple of weeks in school should get it higher.

Could there be a case for abandoning all social measures and testing in schools where all teachers are vaccinated.

I also think(not looked for the data) that the deaths we are seeing in the fully vaccinated will be positives test as a contributory factor to some other condition in a lot of cases.

The need for a booster won't go away if immunity drops off, if it does likely to happen with both acquired and induced.

The bigger risk is mutations away from the protective envelope you have, which is only a subset of the antigens.

Last time I looked(which is quite a while ago) the theory kids were not getting so sick was the infection mechanism was different to that of adults, a mutation that fixes that weakness could be devastating quite quickly if we take our eye of the ball.

Comment

I also think(not looked for the data) that the deaths we are seeing in the fully vaccinated will be positives test as a contributory factor to some other condition in a lot of cases.
                          I new it was best not to guess.......... turn out that was very wrong.

There were 99 deaths involving coronavirus (COVID-19) registered in England and Wales in the week ending 25 June 2021.
                          Of these, 97 deaths were registered in England, one in Wales and one was death of a non-resident.
                          Deaths involving COVID-19 accounted for 1.1% of all deaths registered that week.
                          COVID-19 was the underlying cause of 84.8% of deaths listed as involving the disease.
                          In contrast, only 24.3% of deaths involving influenza or pneumonia had these conditions listed as the underlying cause of death.

Comment

I am not sure I have any opinion on whether opening up on 'freedom day' is the right thing to do, but it bothers me that, when Boris Johnson is asked about modelling for hospital admissions, deaths and cases of long covid, he simply refuses to answer.

Whatever anyone's view of acceptable risk, surely we should be told.

Comment

I am not sure I have any opinion on whether opening up on 'freedom day' is the right thing to do, but it bothers me that, when Boris Johnson is asked about modelling for hospital admissions, deaths and cases of long covid, he simply refuses to answer.

Whatever anyone's view of acceptable risk, surely we should be told.
                              I was pretty sure I heard him say(at that briefing Monday) the modelling will be published...........

let me check.......

found it...... it was Vallance that said modelling "will be published in the normal way"
                              around min 38:08 for th question and answer around 39:10

( direct link to the time if the embed does not work.
                              https://youtu.be/9C0vDBb1USI?t=2288

Comment

I was pretty sure I heard him say(at that briefing Monday) the modelling will be published...........

let me check.......

found it...... it was Vallance that said modelling "will be published in the normal way"
                                around min 38:08 for th question and answer around 39:10

( direct link to the time if the embed does not work.
                                https://youtu.be/9C0vDBb1USI?t=2288

Thanks for that.

My point, though, was that I'd like a straight answer to this, to come out of the Prime Minister's mouth when he is asked a straight question (eg at PMQs). Also, the problem with those press briefings is that there are no follow up questions allowed, so no opportunity to challenge or discuss in more depth.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X