• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I feel for anyone involved in face to face interaction with 'the public'.

I help in a coffee shop and I get antsy when folk come up close, to pay, especially the odd few who are maskless. We're not allowed to question the lack of masks and quite frankly, it will make me think twice of volunteering in such close proximity to more than the odd maskless person.
    That's for a couple of hours a week. Think of those who have to do this for a full working day.
    Eastern cultures wear masks having been through this before. It is also out of politeness and respect for others, something we are seriously lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Eastern cultures wear masks having been through this before. It is also out of politeness and respect for others, something we are seriously lacking.
      Some Japanese passengers, for example have worn masks around QV for years, especially in the theatre. I might be joining them with my mask next year!

Comment

There was no lack of foresight, they knew exactly what they were doing. We were not negotiating a trade deal with Pakistan
        In that case, they lacked the foresight to see what was important and in hindsight, they might see that!

Or there again, they might not.

Comment

At today's press conference, Chris Whitty said he would wear a mask in 3 situations:

A) in crowded indoor spaces;

B) when asked to do so by authorities; and

C) when in the company of someone who was uncomfortable with his not wearing one.
          ​​​​
          A clear enough answer. I guess he took the trouble to anticipate the question.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
            At today's press conference, Chris Whitty said he would wear a mask in 3 situations:

C) when in the company of someone who was uncomfortable with his not wearing one.
            ​​​​

​​​​
            Sounds good to me and what I would do too.

I was asked by an elderly neighbour today, if I will still wear a mask once the restrictions are lifted. When I said that I would on public transport and in shops, she was most surprised. The lady in question is taking the stance that at her age, she will do as she likes and hates wearing masks. She hasn't considered other people at all.
            Jill

Comment

​​​​

​​​​
              Except that now that it is not mandatory, there will be an awful lot of people who will not care if anyone is uncomfortable or not. They don't need to wear one, then they won't. Enough of them on the trains now even when they are supposed to, no way will they bother in future.
              What hope if they need to be reintroduced in the future as Israel has needed to do.
              Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 5th July 2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Sounds good to me and what I would do too.

I was asked by an elderly neighbour today, if I will still wear a mask once the restrictions are lifted. When I said that I would on public transport and in shops, she was most surprised. The lady in question is taking the stance that at her age, she will do as she likes and hates wearing masks. She hasn't considered other people at all.
                I had a similar experience locally.

A shop assistant recently asked an elderly lady to put her mask on properly (it was round her chin!).

She replied: "Oh, but I don't like the feel of it on my face!"

I do think there could have been more messaging emphasis, in recent months, on wearing a mask to protect OTHERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                  We couldn't keep the Alpha (very likely home grown ) varient under control.

you can't keep them out

It's been a free for all in Ibiza supposed to be green.
                  You can apply the brakes and slow down the seeding of a new variant with good border controls.

Cases on the Balearic Islands are spiking - school/college leavers holding end of term parties.

However I understand the figure of 50,000 daily cases was mentioned at the press conference announcing the relaxation of restrictions.

Annie

Comment

Except that now that it is not mandatory, there will be an awful lot of people who will not care if anyone is uncomfortable or not. They don't need to wear one, then they won't. Enough of them on the trains now even when they are supposed to, no way will they bother in future.
                    What hope if they need to be reintroduced in the future as Israel has needed to do.
                    Yes I totally agree. I don't expect to see many masks on our local train.

​​​​​​I doubt Boris Johnson and his cabinet spend much time squashing themselves onto unavoidable public transport, and being removed from reality is part of the problem.

I think it would have been better to keep mask wearing as a requirement for the time being.

Wearing one has not stopped me eating out and going to the cinema and shops, putting money into the pockets of local businesses.

Comment

Recent YouGov poll...

Comment

Well fingers tightly crossed, if this is a true snapshot of the general feeling in the community, masks will be worn on transport, in shops and in small spaces by the majority.

I know my masks will be worn when around 'other people'. I know my Covid habits and those of my friends, but the cynic in me doesn't believe everybody is as scrupulous as we and for the time being at least, I shall be out and about but wearing my masks.

Comment

Recent YouGov poll...

I heard that last night but I don't believe it. I suspect that when many see others discontinue mask wearing, they will follow.

For myself, I will continue to follow the data and probably continue not visiting the shops at least for the next month - no change there

As for travel, I recently completed an internal UK journey by air and honestly the mask wearing was no hardship - I forgot I was wearing one.

Long haul air travel is no concern because many countries don't want us to visit.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I heard that last night but I don't believe it. I suspect that when many see others discontinue mask wearing, they will follow.

For myself, I will continue to follow the data and probably continue not visiting the shops at least for the next month - no change there

As for travel, I recently completed an internal UK journey by air and honestly the mask wearing was no hardship - I forgot I was wearing one.

Long haul air travel is no concern because many countries don't want us to visit.

Annie
                            There has been so much inconsistency with travel!

A couple of weeks ago I travelled on LNER. Could not board train without a seat reservation. Had to sit in reserved seat. Everyone wearing masks. Walking about discouraged.

Then I had the misfortune to change onto an East Midlands train. It was filthy and packed. I was one of only two mask-wearers in the carriage. No reserved seats or distancing of any kind.

Why? I would have expected train companies to have standards to follow.

​​​

Comment

I have previously posted my dislike of masks. I can't stand the things and look forward to the day when I can ditch them for good. But that day isn't 19th July. In fact I am likely to be wearing a mask more, not less. In a place of the size of RWB we don't get crowds anywhere so I wear a mask very little and on some days not at all. But as the things open up I will be going to places where a mask remains advisable though not compulsory and as a courtesy to others I will wear one.

Comment

Did notice the subtle change in the language. It is no longer 'irreversible' now they will 'do everything possible to avoid re-imposing restrictions'.......good luck with that

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X